Tanking in Dyna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanking in Dyna

I've been looking and looking and I can't find any info/tips/guides to tanking in dyna.

My dyna shell has a pld tank that essentially told me that if I'm asking what I need to tank in dyna, I cannot tank in dyna. >.> So I figure I'll ask around and see what I can see.

My gear seems to be around the same as the other dyna pld have, minus pieces here and there because I haven't finished zilart/cop/etc.

Joytoy/Macuahuitl+1
    Koenig
    Bibiki Shell
    Iron Ram Sallet/Wturban
    Shield Torque/Parade Gorget
    Astral Earring/Fowling Earring
    Iron Ram Hauberk
    Iron Ram Dastanas
    Jelly Ring/Unyielding Ring/Phalanx Ring (Aug: 2vit 6mp)
    Resentment Cape/Lamia Mantle
    Warwolf Belt
    Iron Ram Hose
    Iron Ram Greaves/Gallant Leggings

Slowly working toward ACP body w/ fast cast and enmity. I go pld/war for parties, pld/rdm for solo or campaign.
    Currently 1 merit into Fealty and Chivalry each, and 4 merits into Shield, which currently has a base skill of 251 (w/out merits or gear), 7/8 for MP merits. Oh, and I'm a Galka.

Any information/suggestions/resources would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by EternalMalachi; 01-23-2010, 03:35 AM. Reason: Added merit info

Re: Tanking in Dyna

You more or less have a good set, just if you're off tanking focus more on enmity > hp/shield gear
    If you're main calling and can keep hate, go for hp/shield/enmity > all

Back piece, resentment cape will be more effective than the lamia mantle. If you have the gil, go for a lamian kamen +1 or a rosenbon. Also a hercules' Ring for the enmity and the latent at low hp. And never take your af feet off unless you're macroing them for relic feet on sentinel. Otherwise, what you have listed should be good.
    Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Cast Flash and Reprisal in more Haste gear--Dusk hands/feet, Swift Belt, Walahra, etc.--macro back to the usual defensive/enmity gear in those slots afterwards. Hospitaler Earring for Cure, too.

Have an "Yeek MNK!" macro may be a good idea, too: Jelly Ring, Hercules' Ring, AF feet, Shield Torque, Buckler Earring, Guardian Earring (Maybe 30% more chance of getting that Flash off and duck a few seconds of Hundred Fist? lol), etc. Pop that macro after Sentinel and Reprisal.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

You aren't in terrible shape for bloodtanking, try to stack as much physical damage taken -#% gear as you can first, then HP/Shield as II said. Since you obviously do a fair amount of Campaign already, work on a Patronus Ring instead of Unyielding or Phalanx(both of those rings are garbage, go ahead and sell them). Then enmity rings to pop into your JAs, Mermaid/Hercules'.

For Earrings, if you can find/afford a Buckler Earring make that one, for the other there's not a whole ton out there that's useful that isn't r/e or pretty expensive, but even a NQ Coral Earring can be decent for any magic you may get hit with.

If you also have a Sky group work towards Koenig Schaller, this is one of the best bloodtanking pieces you can get, and relatively easy/cheap to procure in most shells since it's not a very high demand piece and the Cursed Schaller for it typically runs under 150k.

Depending on your cashflow and the crafting levels of you and the rest of your shell, you may also look into the new Ebon/Ebur/etc pieces, the PLD-specific ones tend to have a couple % of Physical Damage reduction with a few slots to add interesting Evoliths to.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I actually just got a Patronus ring, but wasn't sure how much I'd be using it outside of campaign.

And I have no real shell to speak of outside the dyna shell. Just a small social LS of me and five friends, so no sky, no crafting, nothing. >.<

Comment

You and 5 friends sounds like enough people to crank out Zilart/CoP missions, I would very much press them to do that with you! You guys wouldn't be able to do all of the endgame content that will get you the better gear with just the 6 of you, however you could do a pretty fair amount of it, and you can't even have a shot at any of it until you get access. Aside from that, doing missions with a static of actual friends rather than pickups is one of the most rewarding things in this game, both in completion sense and in fun factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
              doing missions with a static of actual friends rather than pickups is one of the most rewarding things in this game
              Yes, highly encouraged.
              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

We have been doing alright thus far in the missions. Had quite the time w/ the Mammets, but the main hindrance has been finding the time. We have been trying to get our stragglers to 75, so we haven't used our common time to work on missions. Currently waiting at Ouryu fight while i whm gets her last 4 lvls >.<'

Oh, question about the Patronus ring. Does the campaign effect only work while under allied tags, or does it always work in the past?

Comment

Only with tags up, same goes for Terror Shield and such.

Comment

Working...
                  X