Low/Mid Level PLD Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low/Mid Level PLD Gear

As soon as I finish off my DNC sub I'm picking my 33 PLD back up and taking it to 75, and I pretty much have full gear up to 50-60 sitting on a mule, except for accessories. I was curious as to what earrings/rings are recommended in the 30's-40's, I think last time I leveled it I was using something awful like San d'Orian Ring + Astral Ring. I now have a Woodsman Ring, and I could dig up a Puissance when I hit 36 from a mule I think, or should I go with VIT rings?
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Re: Low/Mid Level PLD Gear

Oh, oh, I've always wanted to say this. READ THE STICKIES. Lol.

I'm assuming you don't have the money for a second Woodsman. Use Woodsman + Venerer then.

Comment

Thanks for not dropping a wiki link on me, lol.
      Well on the upside I have almost all of that junk sitting on my PLD gear mule(don't ask why, I had planned to level PLD back like a year ago and bought all the gear I'd need from 20-50, then got caught up w/ COR so I have a mule with nothing but a shitton of PLD gear on it) and the rest I should be able to CP/AN for.

How annoying is the Venerer's Ring quest? (Can't look it up myself from work, sorry!)
      Last edited by Callisto; 03-05-2008, 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not too annoying. Mostly a lot of running around.

Comment

i'd recomend u to get VIT rings and maybe at 50 a couple phalanx rings u dont need ACC for PLD u need to focus on VIT/Def/Enmity/HP gear IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
            i'd recomend u to get VIT rings and maybe at 50 a couple phalanx rings u dont need ACC for PLD u need to focus on VIT/Def/Enmity/HP gear IMO.
            Your opinion is wrong.

Comment

Question: When looking at the sticky I noticed this:
              ighty Rings are fantastic. +11 Attack is great at any level, but at Lv.14 it's absolutely ridiculous, especially when you consider that the only other thing worth equipping at that level are Stamina Rings, which will only lower the mob's DMG by 1.
              You can wear 2 of the same enchanted item and stack the enchantments?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                Your opinion is wrong.
                Ok why u dont tell why im wrong?

Comment

Ok why u dont tell why im wrong?
                  Because the returns from stacking VIT/Def are extremely slim on reducing the amount of damage you take compared to the large effect that pumping extra damage/emnity into those slots will have on your ability to hold hate and general tanking dynamics.

Comment

when getting a good amount of VIT/Def u reduce some DMG wich mean u get more enmity(the less DMG u recive the more hate u generate) plus Curing urself plus JA... really a PLD doesnt need ACC at all if u can play the job good.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                      Question: When looking at the sticky I noticed this:

You can wear 2 of the same enchanted item and stack the enchantments?
                      You can. I thought you couldn't either, but I bought a second one, and now it is a stacked bonus party every day in Murphietown.

Comment

when getting a good amount of VIT/Def u reduce some DMG wich mean u get more enmity(the less DMG u recive the more hate u generate) plus Curing urself plus JA... really a PLD doesnt need ACC at all if u can play the job good.
                        The recent emnity testing shows that taking damge only reduces the non-decay portion of your emnity, which PLD does not generally utilize for tanking, instead almost all PLD spells/abilities are geared towards large spikes of volatile emnity, which decays over time but isn't affected by the damage you take.

Edit: Taking less damage =/= generating more emnity. Those two are not related, and if anything taking slightly more damage so that you can cure bomb yourself for spike hate can be beneficial.

Comment

Man, I...man.

You don't need VIT if you, as you so eloquently put it, "can play the job good." Try reading some of the extensive testing that others have done about the viability of moving away from the turtle style of PLD tanking (VIT+DEF+HP focus), to something a bit more useful to most parties. That's not to undervalue VIT and DEF, but most of the time you're not going to need nearly as much as some PLDs feel you do.

Comment

Quetzalcoatl: In short, VIT is generally inefficient at reducing damage taken, and loading up on Accuracy yields significant gains in enmity generation and killing speed. There's at least 5 threads in the first page of this forum alone in which I've explained in detail the pros and cons of this approach, and a couple more in which other posters have also explained it.

Although...
                            The recent emnity testing shows that taking damge only reduces the non-decay portion of your emnity, which PLD does not generally utilize for tanking, instead almost all PLD spells/abilities are geared towards large spikes of volatile emnity, which decays over time but isn't affected by the damage you take.
                            I feel this statement isn't all too accurate since damage and curing generate significant amounts of Cummulative Enmity, and these two are the base of a PLD's Total Enmity. We generally use our other tools to buy time, so to speak.

The Venerer Ring quest does require a fair bit of running around, so I'd just buy it now and quest it later to get your money back when you have free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                              Although...I feel this statement isn't all too accurate since damage and curing generate significant amounts of Cummulative Enmity, and these two are the base of a PLD's Total Enmity. We generally use our other tools to buy time, so to speak.
                              Sorry I should've qualifed that with 'in XP parties', as those mobs aren't generally alive long enough for a PLD to build up substantial amounts of CE outside of Sentinel usage, compared to the large amounts of VE it can build quickly. In larger endgame fights, yes they utilize both types, but even RDMs/BRDs/WHMs can cap CE easily in those situations, still leaving the ability to quickly build a large amount of VE as the difference-maker for PLD(or any tank for that matter).

Edit: Amusing, somewhat-on-topic story because I'm stupidly bored and loaded on caffeine:

Before I did any research on tanking mechanics at all, back in like October I think, my LS was doing a low-manned Genbu fight. Me being the only RDM and there being no BRDs, I was the only Dispel when he used Harden Shell, I probably used it about 20 times during the fight, maybe more. On top of that Blind II was being a bitch that day and I couldn't land it for my life, so I was spamming it.

An unfortunate Waterga > Stomp > Stomp leaves both tanks dead, and all of a sudden, Genbu is rushing(figure of speech, I know) me. 20 vokes, volleys of stuns, and all kinds of crap later, I'm still kiting the damn thing. The tanks unweakened but decided to just sit out since I apparently had hate well on me, and the BLMs nuked it down, me still having hate up til the end. That's why I started looking at the emnity research, lol.
                              Last edited by Callisto; 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X