/ja Cover <t>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /ja Cover <t>

Just having learned the job ability cover, and I have yet to use it. I am familiar with how it is used but as for positioning myself in relation to my mages...I seem to have problems atm.

......................blm
    thf mob pld thf whm
    ......................rdm

this is how I understand the party should be in combat so I can cover, any of the mages or the THF who is using me for SATA.

At the moment this is what we are having at times

....................rdm
    PLD mob drk whm
    .......war .......blm

this is an example from my last party, the drk was subbing thf and thus using SA while I was main tanking.

I am correct in asssuming I shoudl attempt to have my back to the mages, and shoudl I simply use cover when it's available or do I have to use it only when the mob goes for someone I do not want it to go for?
    Thanks for any help.

/salute
    75PLD 42RNG 41WAR 41WHM 32THF 49NIN 35SAM 37BLM 20SMN 35DRG
    Rank 7 Windurst

http://www.virtus-asura.com

Re: /ja Cover &lt;t&gt;

Communication is the key.

I very rarely find a PLD who knows how to use cover, and its even rarer the situation where the PLD actually prompts me to get ready for cover, it may have happened once or twice in 2 years of FFXI.

The BLM knows when hes gonna grab hate, atleast thats the case with me, i dont hold in as much anymore on my nukes because at high levels you have means to survive an incoming angry mob, tell the paladin im gonna MB or cast a powerful nuke, and HOPE he understands what im trying to tell him. Sometimes they cover me, sometimes i die. I've actually encountered 60+ PLD's who dont even know what that ability does.

Positioning is situational, and you should communicate with your mages about it.
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

No, only use cover when you have to. It lasts very... short and long recast so don't waste it. Usually I don't like to turn by back to mages tho, some mobs has nasty cone moves that hit everything in front of them. It's just a habit now to turn the mob some other way.

BTW, I haven't got much chance to cover mages. Most of the times when I lose hate, it's mostly to DD who is closing skillchains. My PLD is only 52 so the only jobs I lose hate to sometimes are monks and drks. I'd flash, provoke, bash, etc 1 at a time and see if the mob turns. If not, I'll cover him/her.

The macro should be /ja Cover <stpc> so you can choose which person to cover. Now, some DDs will run to your back instantly after skillchains, some won't. So it's not all that hard to get in position to cover them.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I used it only when the mob was attacking a melee who was getting low on HP. Just run and stand between them and the mob and use it. I didnt use on mages much seens as they like to run around alot. If the person whos got hate isnt going to die within the next few seconds if you dont use it then just provoke the mob or flash etc. Most plds that have used it on me as well dont really need to either, they just like taking the dmg
        75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
        Woodworking 91.9+2
        ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

I'm an HP/MP sink, so if I start to take hate for more than a hit or two, I'll cuddle up to the Paladin, you know, give him "the hint".

Usually they take it, when the recast is up anyway.
          66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
          Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
          01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
          01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
          O)
          01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

Really you shouldn't have to use cover that often in my opinion. If you are in a party
            and you find yourself having to use it everytime the timer is up, maybe the DD could
            hold back a little. (hate is a party responsibility, and not just the tanks)

Ideally if my party is going to do something big, like a blm MB for really high numbers,
            I would rather it be set up so the SC + MB kills the mob instead of me frantically
            trying to regain hate. By setting the party up like this you would only need to use
            cover every once in a while if they miscalculate health and the mob doesn't die, and
            you know exactly when you will need to have it ready. Party communication and
            strategy > all

In general it is a bad idea for mages to stand behind you because of AOE. Just work
            out beforehand that either you will move to cover or person you cover will move
            behind you. (I prefer the latter because I am lazy like that)

Comment

You just like people to cuddle up to you. I'm on to your games.

Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
              O)

Comment

I agree you should only use cover when nessasary. It is definitly a useful tool. In my macro i have /p Hey you get behind me so i can <Cover> you. This is so that you can keep the mob from facing the mages.

oh and AngryUndead...uh cuddle with a galka...no thanks....

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

oh and AngryUndead...uh cuddle with a galka...no thanks....
                  But we're warm and furry. Plus, he's a galka too.
                  Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                  O)

Comment

Galka in love
                    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Man, that's one scary pic, Jei. >.>;

Comment

Oh ho ho ho ho thats disgusting I'm afraid ppl's...
                        Woodworking 91.9+2

Comment

Well, disgusting might be pushing it. :/

Comment

I was just sick.
                            Woodworking 91.9+2

Comment

Hyperbole.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. In my time as PLD, I found that the hardest part was actually getting the person who was supposed to be covered to stand behind me and stay still. It was much better in my static party, as the RNG always stood behind me, and the BLM knew to stand there too if she was going to be using a particularly powerful spell. But it was rarely needed, really.

Comment

Working...
                              X