This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinons on Tarutaru plds?

Well, I just started ffxi up again but for the first time am really getting into to it. I reilized that i like to tank but i like to do a little magic and do some mediocore damge lol. So im considering leveling pld once my warrior hits 37 probley next week. As a tarutaru, I will have around 1100 hp and 550ish mp, So I am wondering if i will have trouble while tanking and such. I can keep my self healed as well as i can with my large mp pool, but i just want to know if i will get one shoted alot, or what other problems i will have as a taru pld. I do like the fact iwill have a huge mp pool and will be able heal myself and help PL my freinds and be able to camp nms and do what ever. Well thanks!
    Sincerly,
    Stooky
    Stooky, Tarutaru supreme
    62 PLD 37 WAR 37 NIN

Re: Opinons on Tarutaru plds?

Try to avoid Pugils and Spiders, they will one shot you. Tarutaru PLDs are good, don't worry about what people "think" of them. Because if they say tarutaru PLDs suck, they probably only party with NINs/Are a NIN.
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Well I have heard that Taru can get one shotted and it may happen out in the Dunes. After that as long as you have the right gear you should probably be fine. As I'm sure you know, you just have to make sure you load up on Vit and Def gear to make sure you can take a beating. Also make sure you always have food to boost your stats. Tacos are good if you can afford it but Fish Mithkabobs work if you can't. One thing is for sure though. You should never have a hard time holding hate with the amount of cures you'll be firing off. Let us know how you do.
      You kill one man, your a murderer
      Kill many and your a conquerer
      Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

Any race can get 1 shotted or have a stroke of bad luck. It's not just tarus. Any race wont survive a 1130dmg sickle slash followed by a double attack. As a tank you cant worry about getting one shotted cuz it just doesnt happen that often. Worry about holding hate, managing your mp and you'll do great.

There's a good amount of +hp items out there, albeit expensive but its out there. If you arent going to go for the +hp build, just load up on defense and vit and your mp will cover the rest.

I'm a taru nin and I can count the times I've been 1-shotted on both hands through 75 lvls. I dont think you have anything to worry about. A few of the premier plds on my server are tarudins. good luck!
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Its been said before and Ill say it again. The race doesnt matter as long as the player is good. Every race can play every job. Id say thats fact imo :/

Taru plds hold hate amazingly. With a Rdm casting refresh on you with your large Mp pool you can cast cure constantly basically. Mega hate Everyone gets one shoted. Ive been one shoted many times when I played as a Hume pld. All the taru plds Ive partied with dont hit the yellow or red HP any more than other races would either. Overall I see a good player with a Taru pld as a very effective tank.
          75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
          Woodworking 91.9+2
          ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

Speaking of refresh, with auto-refresh and Sanction refresh... you get a sustained +2mp, add that with just 1 of either rdm/brd/cor and you're looking at +5mp refresh! mp worries no more.
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Haven't had a problem with my alt-taru PLD, and my wife does well with her's too just with the lower MP a bad party, becomes a really bad party. Since sometimes you need that second voke a little more to get off a cure.
              75PLD 42RNG 41WAR 41WHM 32THF 49NIN 35SAM 37BLM 20SMN 35DRG
              Rank 7 Windurst

http://www.virtus-asura.com

Comment

I absolutely love taru plds in exp pts! I've pt'd with quite a few in my FFXI career and only one or two were disappointments. I think taru plds realize their limitations and how to make up for them so they try really hard to do their job well and thats what makes them great. So I won't even think twice about inviting a taru pld because I've had mostly positive experiences with them.

But on the other hand, when it comes to endgame, that is where I draw the line. Kings, Gods, etc. I prefer not to have a taru pld. (NOTE: This is my PERSONAL opinion and I'm entitled to have one.) I see very few taru plds in high end HNM LS's and there is a reason for that. Of course, there are some that can do very well if they are equipped in top line stuff and are on top of their game but in the end thats only 1% of the few taru plds that make it to endgame.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Any race can do any job if performed well; the only limitation is your wallet. Galka most certainly CAN be White or Black mages, and do it effectively, but will have to shell out a ton more money to reach an equivalent level of MP and INT due to the insane prices on things like Astral equipment.

It's the same way with Tarutaru paladins. It CAN be done, but be prepared to buy some of the more expensive +HP and +VIT gear to reach a level of durability Galka or Elvaan can slide a little bit on.

That said, the worst Paladin I've ever partied with was a Galka, and the SECOND worst was a Hume -- Competence >>>>>>> Race.

I think that's why you'll see a lot more effective Tarutaru tanks than otherwise - they have to work much harder and get better at it faster than other players.

Re. HNM/Endgame: Yeah, I wouldn't want to tank those beasties either, thanks. Let the Galka deal with the dragon's teeth; I'll just pour my Tarutaru MP pool into healing him. I'd feel too much like a morsel anyway.

-sam
                  "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                    But on the other hand, when it comes to endgame, that is where I draw the line. Kings, Gods, etc. I prefer not to have a taru pld. (NOTE: This is my PERSONAL opinion and I'm entitled to have one.) I see very few taru plds in high end HNM LS's and there is a reason for that. Of course, there are some that can do very well if they are equipped in top line stuff and are on top of their game but in the end thats only 1% of the few taru plds that make it to endgame.
                    Funny enough during a sky raid the other day I got a /tell from a stranger asking me
                    if I thought a taru would be a good Paladin. I did a search for this person and he was
                    a level 24 Taru Paladin (if I remember correctly). Of course I said that a Taru Paladin
                    could be as good as any other race could be as a Paladin, and I am of the
                    opinion that Taru make the best experience party Paladin.

After discussing different tanking strategies and the strengths and weaknesses of the
                    different races as Paladin, he then asked me about Taru Paladins in endgame. I really
                    didn't know how to answer this. I think that a Taru Paladin can do just as well as any
                    other race against HNM/Gods, but like TheGrandMom I don't see this very often.

There are no Taru Paladin in my Linkshell and I don't really know any in other Endgame
                    shells personally. I was wondering if you really do have to work extra hard to be an
                    endgame Taru Paladin and if any certain strategies work better for a Taru tanking. I
                    want to pass all info on to my new Taru Paladin friend

Comment

I remember someone saying this...

Tarutaru Paladins are the best because they try harder... to stay alive.
                      Hacked on 9/9/09
                      FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

I lvled a Taru Pld through dunes, only PLed from 10-11 and 19-20. I never died while in a pt, though died a few times killing stuff by myself, and another time ran straight in front of a gob hiding behind a tree. I saw the guy who invited me, so I ran straight at him, not noticing the gob...

Comment

Taru tanks are fine, but they will have problems with taking big hits and when you're pushing your tanking ability up against something that's just a bit too tough. What I mean is where any other paladin will need an intense amount of healing to tank an NM, Taru paladins might not be able to keep it together. It's not something you'll encounter every day, and can be avoided with planning.

Comment

Taru PLD are king of hate.

I plan to level my PLD after I finish my MNK^^
                            SUICHI IS DEAD.

Comment

No problems with taru plds here. Just please, please, please don't be ashamed to put some -MP/+HP gear on at the lower levels ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X