This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shield data: Size 2 vs Size 3

Yesterday I had decided to cap my Shield skill solo. I headed out to Quicksand Caves (East Altepa entrance) to let Helm Beetles (DC to T, most are T at 52) beat me up at the zone line. Then I realized, if I'm going to waste a couple of hours in this, I may as well take the opportunity to take note of my shielding rate and by how much damage is reduced. At first I only compared Master Shield (Size 2, Shield Skill +10) to Royal Knight Army Shield (Size 3), but later on I tested Mahogany Shield (Size 2) a bit as well to see how it compared to Master Shield. To my surprise, my R.K. Army Shield shielded slightly more often than Master Shield on average, and of course, reduced damage by more. By taking note of the minimum and maximum damage I took on normal hits and shielded hits, I was able to conclude that Size 2 shields reduce damage by ~45%, while Size 3 shields reduce damage by ~60%. Below I'll include my tests, in order (all were performed as PLD52/WHM26.)

---
    Shield Skill: 155 + 23
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 32/77 = 41.56%
    Average reduction: 18.70%
    ---
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (forgot to /check)
    Shield rate: 25/63 = 39.68%
    Average reduction: 17.86%
    ---
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (EM-+)
    Shield rate: 24/80 = 30%
    Average reduction: 13.5%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 155-156 + 23
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (T_+)
    Shield rate: 29/58 = 50%
    Average reduction: 22.5%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 156 + 13
    Royal Knight Army Shield (Size 3)
    Helm Beetle (EM_+)
    Shield rate: 44/91 = 48.35%
    Average reduction: 29.01%
    ---
    Helm Beetle (EM_+)
    Shield rate: 28/85 = 32.94%
    Average reduction: 19.76%
    ---
    Helm Beetle (EM_+)
    Shield rate: 39/95 = 41.05%
    Average reduction: 24.63%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 156-157 + 13
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 37/88 = 42.05%
    Average reduction: 25.23%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 157-158 + 13
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 28/62 = 45.16%
    Average reduction: 27.10%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 158 + 13
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 49/103 = 47.57%
    Average reduction: 28.54%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 158-160 + 23
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 33/84 = 39.29%
    Average reduction: 17.68%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 160 + 23
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (EM-+)
    Shield rate: 25/74 = 33.78%
    Average reduction: 15.20%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 160-161 + 13
    Mahogany Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 25/76 = 32.89%
    Average reduction: 14.80%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 161 + 13
    Mahogany Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 30/67 = 44.78%
    Average reduction: 20.15%
    ---
    Mahogany Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (EM-+)
    Shield rate: 25/75 = 33.33%
    Average reduction: 15.00%
    ---

As you can see, luck plays a fair role in shielding rates. I still need to do a few more tests with the Mahogany Shield to get a better idea of its proc rate, but on average, my R.K. Army Shield was shielding a bit more than Master Shield/Mahogany Shield. I'm assuming S-E did this deliberately to help PLD perform better, since Size 3 shields are practically our trademark (DRK gets them too but has no shield skill.) My R.K. Army Shield also was reducing damage a bit better than an Earth Staff would've. Of course, I expect proc rates to be lower against IT mobs, but I doubt Size 3 shields would fall behind by much if at all.

Unfortunately, I didn't figure I'd be doing testing when I first set out, so I didn't have any Size 1 shields on me, and I'm not high enough to use any Size 4 shields yet. However, I did find a thread in KI in which a 75 PLD (302 shield skill) did some testing of his own on EP mobs. His testing suggested that Size 4 shield rate is fairly low compared to Size 3, and Size 3 reduced damage better on average. It also suggests that shield rate is capped at 65%. http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=116124

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Did two more tests with Mahogany shield, and three with Aspis (Size 1). Size 1 shields have a 25% reduction. However, even with the highest shield rate I recorded (which was almost at the supposed cap,) it can hardly make up for its low damage reduction. Size 4 may be an exception, but it looks like the bigger the shield, the better.

---
    Mahogany Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (EM-+)
    Shield rate: 31/82 = 37.80%
    Average reduction: 17.01%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 161-162 + 13
    Mahogany Shield (Size 2)
    Helm Beetle (EM-+)
    Shield rate: 35/80 = 43.75%
    Average reduction: 19.69%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 162 + 13
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Helm Beetle (T++)
    Shield rate: 29/58 = 50%
    Average reduction: 12.5%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 162-163 + 13
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Helm Beetle (T-+)
    Shield rate: 37/64 = 57.81%
    Average reduction: 14.45%
    ---
    Shield Skill: 163 + 13
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Helm Beetle (T_+)
    Shield rate: 38/60 = 63.33%
    Average reduction: 15.83%
    ---

So yeah, Size 1 performance was fairly disappointing. On the bright side, in that last fight with the 63% proc rate I did shield block x3 -> normal hit -> shield block x11. It was one of those "omgwtfbbq" moments. It's also better TP gain, although I don't think it warrants the loss of damage reduction.
    Last edited by Armando; 04-25-2006, 02:45 PM.

Re: Shield data: Size 2 vs Size 3

More data. All tests were performed on Too Weak Giant Spiders in East Altepa Desert, as PLD52/WHM26, with 163 +13 Shield Skill (+23 if I'm using Master Shield).

---
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Shield rate: 22/34 = 64.71%
    Average reduction: 16.18%
    ---
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Shield rate: 27/42 = 64.29%
    Average reduction: 16.07%
    ---
    Aspis (Size 1)
    Shield rate: 28/52 = 53.85%
    Average reduction: 13.46%
    ---
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Shield rate: 36/105 = 34.29%
    Average reduction: 15.43
    ---
    Master Shield (Size 2)
    Shield rate: 17/45 = 37.78%
    Average reduction: 17.00%
    ---
    Master Shield (Size 2)*
    Shield rate: 31/70 = 44.29%
    Average reduction: 19.93%
    ---

I was surprised with the results. I didn't block significantly more often! I was expecting all my samples to be hitting the 65% ceiling. The only reason I can find for this data to be so close to the tests done on EM-T beetles would be that on both mobs, my shielding rate was already capped. But if this were true, it raises an interesting point - my near-capped skill +13 was enough to cap my shielding rate on EM-T mobs? Then, my shielding rate shouldn't be much lower on ITs.

Also, as a way of comparing the different sizes, I've determined the proc rates needed to reduce average damage by 20%.
    Size 1: 80%
    Size 2: 44.45%
    Size 3: 33.34%
    Size 4: 25%?

The 80% proc rate (which is seemingly impossible) required for Size 1 shields to reduce damage by 20% speaks a lot about how ineffective they are. Size 2 has a more realistic requirement, but I wasn't able to meet it consistently. On the other hand, my lowest recorded proc rate on Size 3 shields was 32.94%, and I had many close to the 40% range, while only a 33.34% proc rate is needed to reduce average damage by 20%. Size 3 seems like the clear winner in terms of effectiveness between sizes 1 through 3.. The number for Size 4 shields is based off of the assumption that they reduce damage by 80% per shield block. A 25% proc rate is reasonable if you ask me, so they'd probably perform similarly to Size 3 shields.

*I was starting to lose my patience at this point, as I'm at the 80% evasion ceiling when fighting these, so I took on 3 Giant Spiders at the same time for this test. I was positioned so that I could shield attacks from all spiders.

Comment

Man this is great data, hats off to compiling it all.

Just a quick question. Is there a clear cut way to differ between shield sizes? It doesn't actually say in the description on the item right? I take it buckler and small types like the Aspi you tested are size 1, and stuff like say... Koenig shield would be 3-4, but I'm a bit unclear on how to differenciate between them all.

And it sort of appears from this it's just better to go with the larger size if skill is high enough huh? Even though the proc rate is lower than smaller sized shields, the amount of damage reduced more than makes up for it.

Sorry just now beginning PLD, and really intruiged by all of this lol.

Comment

It really is intersting data. Size 1 and 2 shields going off less often than size 3... I'd love to find out how size 4 shields rate (if koeing is size 4...). I'm not even sure what counts as size 5.

I'd help out, but my PLD is 45, and I can't really tell what is size 3/4/5 for shields that WHM can use. (Plus my shield isn't close to capped on WHM...) ><
        Generic Info!

Comment

while were on the subject of shield skills. are you guys noticing more skill ups then normal? i know while goofing around in the new areas my shield skill jumped by 4 lvls. an im a bst. tanking isnt my specialty. got the mob to near death then released. an just in doing that it went up pretty fast. not to mention i notice shield kicked in alot more. from takin 60-70 a hit to teens to was also pretty nice.

so can we rate the new shield Tariquh a size 3-4 shield ? also OP how were your skill up in the testing process? not sure if i saw any data on skills ups during that time. an by the way very nice finding. keep up the top notch work.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

nice compilation, now I just need someone with 267 +21 Shield skill with Koenig Shield T_T.

JP

brave; integritous; commanding
            New sig. Thank you Graelinn of BeastInTheSack (Garuda)
            75 ナイト, 37 戦士, 31 忍者, 18 シーフ, 16 モンク, 8 侍, others: level 1 T_T.
            ナイト 怒 (いかり)(Level 75 ナ/Level 37 戦)

Comment

Just a quick question. Is there a clear cut way to differ between shield sizes? It doesn't actually say in the description on the item right? I take it buckler and small types like the Aspi you tested are size 1, and stuff like say... Koenig shield would be 3-4, but I'm a bit unclear on how to differenciate between them all.
              Size 1: Bone shields, aspis, targes, bucklers
              Size 2: Round shields, both wooden and metallic (see Faerie/Nymph Shield)
              Size 3: Kite shields, including General's and Koenig Shield
              Size 4: Tower shields and Tatami Shield

And it sort of appears from this it's just better to go with the larger size if skill is high enough huh? Even though the proc rate is lower than smaller sized shields, the amount of damage reduced more than makes up for it.
              Pretty much. The proc rate is lower, but not to a significant degree, so you get more reduction per hit for a comparable proc rate.

It really is intersting data. Size 1 and 2 shields going off less often than size 3... I'd love to find out how size 4 shields rate (if koeing is size 4...). I'm not even sure what counts as size 5.
              Regarding proc rates, like I said, luck seems to play a large role, I'd have a high proc rate on one mob, and then a fairly lower one on the next with the same shield and skill. While it's possible to get a 30% proc rate with any shield size, Size 1 was the only one that got close to 65%. In other words, shield size seems to determine the probabilities of getting a high proc rate rather than setting its proc rate in stone. As for Size 5...Aegis is considered to be Size 5, though I'd consider that a misnomer - it's supposed to shield as often as a Size 1, while reducing damage per hit by as much as a Size 4.

so can we rate the new shield Tariquh a size 3-4 shield ? also OP how were your skill up in the testing process? not sure if i saw any data on skills ups during that time. an by the way very nice finding. keep up the top notch work.
              Somepage is listing Tariqah as a round shield, but doesn't have the size listed. I'm not high enough to use it, so to determine its size someone would have to let himself get beaten on for a moderately large ammount of times for fair damage (30-50 was enough for me to determine the percentages) and then compare the highest shielded hit to the highest non-shielded hit.

As for skill-ups, they were pretty good. Each test took about 4-8 minutes (depending on how long I lasted), with downtime in between. It took me at most 3-4 mobs for a point of skill, and at some points I gained a whole point on the same mob. All resting, typing, and calculating considered, I'd say it took over three hours to get my skill from 155 to 163 from what I can recall, which is good to me.

Glad you guys found this info useful ^^

Comment

Ah, I was thinking tower shields counted as 5's and aegis was off in it's own little world (which it is). Thanks.
                Generic Info!

Comment

Very interesting info indeed, thanks for sharing. I had been wondering about this for quite some time as well, but decided to just stick with what I was comfortable with. (kite shield) I feel like I've made the right choice.

I haven't partied since the shield update, but plan to this weekend. I'm 20k tnl, so that ought to give me enough time to cap my skill, and am anxious to see how fast it goes.

Comment

Hey all new poster long time pld. Nice data on the shields. Just for future testing of my own, may I ask how you count the shield blocks best? Any tips to get the most accurate count?

And then as far as my own experience goes, I'd use a Musketeer commander's shield (size 2-buckler) since 63. My shield skill was way under par about 135. Now its 251(+20 from gear, 231 raw). I block about 2/5ths the time on catoblepas in bibiki. (about 40% really). But this of course is just eye-balling it. I also switch to a tower shield every now and then. For VT mobs. When I'd use it on catoblepas, it'd maybe have a low proc rate of 1-5 times per fight (30% or less not sure). But it'd also take those 120-140 dmg hits down to 8, 15, 24, etc. Its like the hit didn't even happen. This was also all done before the expansion & update. I haven't played since april 1st

Anyway! Were these results taken before or after the update, OP?

-Lac (teh new guy)
                    Name: Lacaan
                    Server: Seraph
                    Race: Elvaan
                    Jobs: PLD-75 MNK-75
                    ~~Santa hat Proclaimer~~

Comment

I was surprised with the results. I didn't block significantly more often! I was expecting all my samples to be hitting the 65% ceiling. The only reason I can find for this data to be so close to the tests done on EM-T beetles would be that on both mobs, my shielding rate was already capped. But if this were true, it raises an interesting point - my near-capped skill +13 was enough to cap my shielding rate on EM-T mobs? Then, my shielding rate shouldn't be much lower on ITs.
                      I think that your shield blocking rate will be much lower on ITs, because AGI also has an effect in the rate at which you shield block.

When fighting TW mobs your AGI is much higher that your AGI would be at the mobs lvl, so you will evade/parry/shield block more not because of your shield skill, but because of your natural AGI. While your AGI is not that much higher when fighting EM-T mobs, you will still have an adavantage because of gear or food, or even the type of mob you are fighting.

When you are fighting IT mobs, unless you intentionally add AGI into you equip, the lack of AGI will be more apparant due to the higher stats of the mob you are tanking.

Like i said before i have no proof, this is just speculation on my part.

Comment

Oops! I didn't notice these replies, I'm sorry Once again, it was my pleasure to test this, so the thanks are unnecessary :3

Just for future testing of my own, may I ask how you count the shield blocks best? Any tips to get the most accurate count?
                        I counted any hit where I could see the shield animation go off as a shielded hit, and I only counted landed hits towards the total number of hits taken. However, counting was a bit tricky. I had to stay still or the shielding animation wouldn't pop up sometimes. I eventually had to refrain from casting Regen, too, because being in the casting animation while taking hits would sometimes cause the shield animation to not go off. I think that problem arises when you're doing the spell's animation itself, because while it did happen once or twice, Cure III wasn't much of a problem.

The main problem is that, even using a Size 3 shield, the highest shielding numbers almost overlap with the lowest non-shielded damage numbers, making it hard to tell by the damage alone. This becomes even worse with Size 2 and Size 1, because the damage ranges do overlap. In fact, if you don't pay attention to the min/max shield/nonshielded damages, the Size 1 damages overlap so much with the normal damage, at first glance one thinks it's not reducing damage at all. This makes it imperative that the tester is able to see the shielding animation.

And then as far as my own experience goes, I'd use a Musketeer commander's shield (size 2-buckler) since 63.
                        Bucklers are Size 1

Anyway! Were these results taken before or after the update, OP?
                        All were post-update.

I think that your shield blocking rate will be much lower on ITs, because AGI also has an effect in the rate at which you shield block.
                        This is quite possible, but as an Elvaan PLD, I only had a total of AGI+4, and some of those Ts were 3 levels higher than me, borderline VT. My AGI should've already been lower than the mob's DEX. This also operates under the assumption that AGI is checked against a stat; it could simply be an added bonus that isn't checked against anything (like the modifiers in WS.) Actually, the fact that there wasn't a noticeable difference between TWs and Ts leads me to believe that AGI is a stand-alone modifier, or my shielding rate would've been lower against Ts. Maybe my low Elvaan AGI is the reason I can't reach the shielding ceilcing consistently? When I'm done with RDM, I think I'll go back with some +AGI equipment and do a bit more testing. Regardless, I appreciate the thought you put into it, even if it's speculation up until now.

I think I'll go buy the expansion, learn Cocoon on BLU, and test some IT mobs soon >.> By the way, if anyone wants to contribute any testing, please do. The thought of having to do three or four tests with all shield sizes using AGI equipment against TWs, Ts, and ITs (and an extra set without AGI equipment against ITs) with large sample sizes all on my own almost makes me want to not do it Oh, and if you test Size 4 shields, please, try to keep track and take note of the highest damage you took on a shielded hit and on a non-shielded hit throughout the different fights, so that we can determine its damage reduction. Try to get large sample sizes so you can be sure that you did get the highest possible damage.
                        Last edited by Armando; 05-06-2006, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Do you know if distance from the mob affects blocking?
                          The further away you are from the mob, the more you will Parry attacks, so there should be a 'sweet' distance for blocking as well.
                          Oyoyu
                          TaruTaru
                          Windurst Rank 6
                          Midgardsormr

BLM:32/WHM:66/DRG:52/PLD:54/MNK:12/WAR:27/BRD:34
                          SMN:33/BST:9/RDM:8/THF:32/RNG:19/DRK:15/SAM: 27/NIN:19/BLU5/PUP10/COR5

Comment

That distance thing seems like a bunch of monkey**8hio to me. ^.^; Ranged attacks are effected by distance. Shield and parry are both melee oriented skills, so i'd doubt theres actual -proof- that distance effects either. In the name of fair science though, someone with windower and the distance plugin, could fight 100+ monsters at two seperate distances (same mobs, over and over) and see if the results come out largely different. I'd say with a 3-4% margin of error.

'Cause thats also like saying, distance from the mob effects how hard your melee attacks hit. Or your distance from the mob effects how effective your spells will be against it. :/
                            Name: Lacaan
                            Server: Seraph
                            Race: Elvaan
                            Jobs: PLD-75 MNK-75
                            ~~Santa hat Proclaimer~~

Comment

Bump! Now that I've reached Level 55, I can finally equip Scutum, a Size 4 shield. Couldn't find any on the AH (in fact, they hardly seem to sell) so I went and made one myself for about 90k (vs the AH's 50k.) Funny thing about it is that aside from looking like a chess board, it's actually smaller than the standard kite shield. Anyways, I took it out for a quick spin in Quicksand Caves (again.) The first fight gave me a vague range for its damage reduction; I did a second fight without having Protect or defense food up in order to get higher numbers, and managed to pinpoint that its damage reduction per hit is 75%. Both fights were performed as 53 PLD/RDM with 171 + 13 Shield Skill.

1st fight:
                              Shield rate: 32/102 = 31.3725%
                              Average reduction: 23.529375%

2nd fight:
                              Shield rate: 16/63 = 25.3968%
                              Average reduction: 19.0476%

Total:
                              Shield rate: 48/165 = 29.09...%
                              Average reduction: 21.818175%

The total proc rate for Size 3 from all my previous tests combined is 225/524 = 42.9389%, which would produce an average reduction of 27.91285%. While Size 4 doesn't perform badly, Size 3 seems to be all-around the best. So, the order of efficiency is Size 3 > Size 4 > Size 2 > Size 1. For the sake of comparison...

Size 3 total shield rate: 225/524 = 42.9389%
                              Size 3 total average reduction: 25.76334%

Size 4 total shield rate: 48/165 = 29.09...%
                              Size 4 total average reduction: 21.818175%

Size 2 total shield rate: 398/1036 = 38.4170%
                              Size 2 total average reduction: 17.28765%

Size 1 total shield rate: 181/310 = 58.3871%
                              Size 1 total average reduction: 14.596775%

Also, my little chart that shows how much proc rate is required for the different shield types to achieve a 20% average reduction needs to be corrected with the Size 4 actual Size 4 damage reduction (75%, not 80%.)
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Also, as a way of comparing the different sizes, I've determined the proc rates needed to reduce average damage by 20%.
                              Size 1: 80%
                              Size 2: 44.45%
                              Size 3: 33.34%
                              Size 4: 26.67%
                              Last edited by Armando; 06-29-2006, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X