I feel most comfortable in this forum, so I'm posting here. Sorry it's not totally on topic with the whole Paladin theme, but too bad
As can be guessed from the topic, I plan to retire my Paladin soon. Several factors have moved me to this decision... I think Paladin is a great and fun job, but...
1) Lack of end-game motivation. I feel that we are not as necessary as other jobs in most end game scenarios. NIN/WAR and lv 74 WAR/NIN do a better job of tanking than us by significant amounts. I mean, PLDs CAN tank still, and can still hold aggro better than NIN or WAR, but they'll be taking considerably more damage than someone with Utsusemi:ni...
2) No bones about it, in XP PT's with a good THF, a rich NIN/WAR makes a better main tank. Several of my friends have once in a while PT'ed with a rich JP NIN tank, and just gush about how much XP they got and how fast they killed things with no downtimes, and how WHM wasn't even necessary. I understand that it's mainly situational (NIN tanks aren't good against cockatrices or other things that stone/paralyze you), but you can just avoid those for the most part. It makes me feel that I am just a cheap alternative tank.
3) My server's community. Well, actually there's an awful lot of great people on Midgardsormr. But the few extremely idiotic scumbags on the server (i.e. Ceciliantas) really just piss me off. These kinds of people wouldn't survive in the real world with that kind of bastardish personality, which is one huge advantage of the real world. Not that other MMOs don't have their share of assholes as well, but at least in AO they were moderated and handled a LOT better. I barely see any GMs in FFXI, and for the most part from what people tell me, they're totally aloof about player issues. In AO and, from what I hear, EQ, the GMs are much more interactive and "in the know" with the player community. Such is not the case in FFXI.
4) Real life issues. I may be changing groups at my job at NASA, and I am also thinking about accepting a job at an equity trader position. Regardless, these job opportunities + hanging out with friends won't allow me to play all that much.
FFXI, for better or for worse, is extremely party-oriented, more than any other MMO I played. I mean, AO is party-oriented too, but you could theoretically solo all the way to the highest level in that game, and the XP system was set up so that you could get great xp with non-full parties... that way I could just join a friend or 2 and get some good xp, without the hassle of spending hours making an "optimal" party. Plus, the level range could be as wide as 10-20 without a significant different on the most part, whereas in FFXI anything more than 4 is considered taboo.
So I am considering either leaving FFXI for good and playing other games in short spurts on my free time, or maybe playing a less stressful job. This is where I ask for your opinions... I understand that BST is the only job where you can either solo or duo for acceptable XP, but I SERIOUSLY dread leveling my WHM to 30... not just because I'm Galka, but also because of the horrible parties at those levels. Also, I do not enjoy the job of WHM *at all*.
Would other subjobs work? I recently read a post in the BST forum about a Galka BST/NIN... now that sounds fun! I always wanted to make a NIN, and I think I would enjoy leveling it to 30 or so... then switch to BST/NIN. How expensive would it be to level a NIN to 30?
Hm... I wonder if a BST/NIN is really viable...?
Anyway, I'll still lurk on the forums at work, so I won't be totally gone (again, for better or for worse :sweat: ) Good luck to all of you aspiring Paladins, and thanks to everyone who put up with my anal testing and arguments
As can be guessed from the topic, I plan to retire my Paladin soon. Several factors have moved me to this decision... I think Paladin is a great and fun job, but...
1) Lack of end-game motivation. I feel that we are not as necessary as other jobs in most end game scenarios. NIN/WAR and lv 74 WAR/NIN do a better job of tanking than us by significant amounts. I mean, PLDs CAN tank still, and can still hold aggro better than NIN or WAR, but they'll be taking considerably more damage than someone with Utsusemi:ni...
2) No bones about it, in XP PT's with a good THF, a rich NIN/WAR makes a better main tank. Several of my friends have once in a while PT'ed with a rich JP NIN tank, and just gush about how much XP they got and how fast they killed things with no downtimes, and how WHM wasn't even necessary. I understand that it's mainly situational (NIN tanks aren't good against cockatrices or other things that stone/paralyze you), but you can just avoid those for the most part. It makes me feel that I am just a cheap alternative tank.
3) My server's community. Well, actually there's an awful lot of great people on Midgardsormr. But the few extremely idiotic scumbags on the server (i.e. Ceciliantas) really just piss me off. These kinds of people wouldn't survive in the real world with that kind of bastardish personality, which is one huge advantage of the real world. Not that other MMOs don't have their share of assholes as well, but at least in AO they were moderated and handled a LOT better. I barely see any GMs in FFXI, and for the most part from what people tell me, they're totally aloof about player issues. In AO and, from what I hear, EQ, the GMs are much more interactive and "in the know" with the player community. Such is not the case in FFXI.
4) Real life issues. I may be changing groups at my job at NASA, and I am also thinking about accepting a job at an equity trader position. Regardless, these job opportunities + hanging out with friends won't allow me to play all that much.
FFXI, for better or for worse, is extremely party-oriented, more than any other MMO I played. I mean, AO is party-oriented too, but you could theoretically solo all the way to the highest level in that game, and the XP system was set up so that you could get great xp with non-full parties... that way I could just join a friend or 2 and get some good xp, without the hassle of spending hours making an "optimal" party. Plus, the level range could be as wide as 10-20 without a significant different on the most part, whereas in FFXI anything more than 4 is considered taboo.
So I am considering either leaving FFXI for good and playing other games in short spurts on my free time, or maybe playing a less stressful job. This is where I ask for your opinions... I understand that BST is the only job where you can either solo or duo for acceptable XP, but I SERIOUSLY dread leveling my WHM to 30... not just because I'm Galka, but also because of the horrible parties at those levels. Also, I do not enjoy the job of WHM *at all*.
Would other subjobs work? I recently read a post in the BST forum about a Galka BST/NIN... now that sounds fun! I always wanted to make a NIN, and I think I would enjoy leveling it to 30 or so... then switch to BST/NIN. How expensive would it be to level a NIN to 30?
Hm... I wonder if a BST/NIN is really viable...?
Anyway, I'll still lurk on the forums at work, so I won't be totally gone (again, for better or for worse :sweat: ) Good luck to all of you aspiring Paladins, and thanks to everyone who put up with my anal testing and arguments






Comment