• Show
Clear All

• Loleva

Why is evasion gear frowned upon?

What's wrong with lolevanins?
    I don't get it..

Why does Haub > SH to TP/tank in?
    Since when?

Have I been wasting my life with +4 Evasion earrings instead of+6 attack?
    O.kotes>H.kotes?

I mean, with loleva you can keep shadows up longer so you have more time to melee.
    But with DD you do more damage per hit but, you're casting more, so you'll do less?
    It seems balanced... so why is it a problem?

I need answers!

Edit:
    How long can I get away with using Potent belt? >___>
    Until I get a swift/koga that is.
    In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
    And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
    Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
    Yeah, It’s true.
    It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Re: Loleva

It's b/c mobs die so fast there's no point in doing evasion when you can get away with more meele+ stats instead. Plus it's better for keeping hate in the long run

Comment

Well, damage is going to be a little more important than evasion in the T/VT style of PT. Just a modest amount of evasion should cover you, but I'd definately amp up attack/STR to make those WS count. I've really only even seen the Hauby as a WS macro piece, though.

Secondly, you're from Titan, right?

Yeah, they're pretty much "Greater Colibri/MJSP or GTFO" over there, its worse on even smaller servers. You'll hardly see another camp after you get to merit level because it pains people on Titan to go anywhere different. If they actually do merits in the WotG beastmen strongholds - particularly Castle O (s) or just anywhere not ToA - EVA build might matter again.

Comment

I'm from Seraph.
        lol and thanks for the feed back.
        I should have mentioned I'm 59. I can understand easily why it's used end game however, at 59 you don't exactly meripo. Fights last a good 2-3 Ni casts.

But yeah, I know DD setup/haste>>eva in meripo, but really, on lesser colibri/colibri crawlers, isn't it smart to pack a decent amount of evasion? My friend seems to disagree.
        This is what I ment originally, should have mentioned my level lol.
        Yeah, It’s true.

Comment

On colibri's it's not going to matter. Pecking Furry is going to rape your shadows and your HP regardless >.>

Comment

Meh seemed to remember you saying you were on Titan once

But yeah, whatever you put up, Colibri will tear down with Pecking Flurry, better just to make sure they die and keep shadows up as you can. These days you have those handy SCHs around to slip stoneskin beneath your shadows and plenty of them out there from 50-75 wanting to PT.

You're also getting to the point where lesser colibri are getting VT or T, so evasion isn't going to matter as much as it did when you started out on them.

Comment

Now is about the level you can start campaigning more efficiently. I recommend doing so, as campaign battles are super fun.
              c:x:x:x:x{{:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Proud hater of Windows Vista since Windows XP Service Pack Two!

My limit break involves a moose, the demon Baphomet, and a Kuiper Belt object. It takes four hours and you cant skip any of the cutscenes.
              She's coming around for another pass! Do we Fight, Use an Item, or Run?
              FIGHT, ITEM, or RUN? DECIDE!

Dont look a gift lion in the mouth!

Perscription strength Assault!
              Side effects may include joint pain, loss of mobility, and fainting.

Comment

Evasion build still work well in traditional area, traditional parties. If the party goes to fight crab in the Boy. Tree, or Dhamel in Bikini Bay, evasion build is an option.

At you level range in ToAU, the mob can strip shadows faster than you can re-apply them if the battle last *long*, even with evasion build. Traditional NIN solo tank --- who attempt to hold hate 100% of time --- is often not efficient in ToAU TP burn parties. ToAU melee parties use multiple frontline/NIN tactic to deal with those ToAU mobs.
                Server: Quetzalcoatl
                Race: Hume Rank 7
                75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Well, see, I was using the basic eva gear at 56/57 on lessers, (sh, eva earring, empress, spirit torque, ninja legs) and pecking flurry missed a few times (some times it missed completly, sometimes it said 1 shadow taken, sometimes 4 shadows etc) but like you where saying this is where they've become VT, however, moving on to the next tier always stinks at first (Colibri) so evasion might be usefull for the first part, no?

I did have a DD role in PT the other day (2 tanks) and it went quite wel (40~ a hit w/ 7% haste gear--that's all i can get at this lvl + haub/chianmail) with a high of 495 Blade; chi, so I might just swap a few eva+for attack.

However, I solo'd a VT lesser as 59NIN with pretty much ease (started with 800 hp ended with 350), so maybe EVA set for soloing?
                  Yeah, It’s true.

Comment

Evasion NIN tanking work if:

(1) The mob is attacking the NIN...
                    (2) Again, the mob is attacking the NIN...

Evasion build is nice when the party setup lacks healing power and there are THF or DD/THF (post level 60) in it. If the mob is hitting other party members, evasion won't help you.

If you can afford it, build both DD + eva set to the field. Trust your own instinct and equip accordingly ^^b
                    Server: Quetzalcoatl
                    Race: Hume Rank 7
                    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

I don't have any trouble holding hate. I might loose it for a few secs after a big ws but I get it back before the next voke..

I guess I'll just have a set for everything, it's all situational it appears D;
                      Yeah, It’s true.

Comment

It comes down to this:

a) Pray on luck you will evade enough hits. (Again watch a big hnm miss)

or

b) Set up for haste and have a shorter down time between casts.
                        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Not a whole lot of Haste at that lvl though. Swift Belt & Shinobi Ring is what? 10%?

Comment

Fuma Boots @ 3%
                            Swift Belt @ 4%
                            Shinobi Ring (yellow HP) @ 4%

So yeh, not a lot.

I think people are looking at evasion the same was as they look at defense. Although in this case evasion is actually a bit more noticable, but at the end of the day it comes down to: "Well if the mob is gonna hit me anyway/hit me for X amount), why bother?"

It's not our fault that people frown on defense/evasion, it's the game mechanics that makes us feel that these stats appear near useless for anything 3~5+ levels tougher than yourself.

Just a thought.

Items such as -x% damage taken are not included in such argument.
                            [LadyKiKi]
                            Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                            .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                            Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

It's very noticable. When I was soloing the VT Lesser, it missed me 11 times in a row at one point, I did had kurayami on it however. And when I try to TP in Haub, I can definatly notice my shadows getting eattin alot faster.

Maybe just a good balance of everything would work out, atleast until meripo.
                              Yeah, It’s true.

Comment

Working...
                              X