Which food to use Level 10-25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which food to use Level 10-25?

Which food should I use at such a low level?
    I'm level 13 with Traveler's Mantle, Leaping Boots, etc, But I find especially being a Taru I get hit a good bit, even by Lizards that are only T+. I tried Jack'O'Lanterns but my enemies hit rate is still about 75-80%. I was thinking going with DEF Food until Im stronger with better evasion capabilities. What do you suggest?

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
    RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

you wont really see your evasion shine till later. so dont worry about dodging much at that b/c u wont. try to duo tank with someone, it makes it a lot easier on you and your party.

so with that, eat acc. food like sushi or atk food like mithakbobs or something. whatever u feel comfortable with.
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Im a level 68 Elvaan Ninja I hope I can help you make your food choices

1. "Attack Food" This ones my personal favorite.I use this food
      ussually when we have Fenrir or a Bard in the party.It helps
      keep the hate very well.Use Meat"mith"kabobs until your base
      attack reaches 295 then switch to Meat Cheifkabobs when you attack reaches 376 swithc again to Yellow curry this way youll always get the most out of attack food.

2. "Accuracy Food" Sole sushi is the name and accuracy is its game.This food is great it gives +5 to str and gives 14% acc boost.I use this food when its hard to hit the mobs or when there
      is no party member to boost Accuracy."Note katanas cap quickly and swing fast so if your not having prolbems hitting the mob use attack food".

3. "Evasion Food" There are 2 types of evasion food that are mainly used. Navarin and Jackolanterns.Navarin as very poor attack and its cap will make you cry the evasion bonus does not make up for this lack of attack power.Jackolanterns give you 10+Acc and +10 Eva This seems nice on paper but you realize that you may hit more consistently and it helps with shadows some but you quickly lose hate to other party members cause your strikes will be to very very low."Compared to usefulness there is no current evasion food that can outperform attack or Acc food for us Ninjas"

4. "Defence Food" A ninja tanking keeps hate and not get hit cause he has shadows.This type of food is mainly for classes that
      take in damage consistently like Paladins.It would not be logical to
      use Defence food just incase you lose you shadows early and take a hit.The mages in party are the ones to keep you alive not the food you eat.Since 90% of the time a ninja does not get hit it is much more useful to use attack or Acc food.

I write this to help you I am a Lv 68 ninja and never had a prolbem keeping my shadows up or keeping hate adequately.I do not own a harness and I will make it to Lv 75 as an elvaan easily

You as a Taru will have a fun and rewarding path to Lv 75
      your Hp may be low but the idea is not to get hit ^^ Watch out for those Aoes though =) I hope this helps take care.

Comment

I would like to reply to your question about lvs 10-25 also this will help you and it helped me also.^^

When in a party youll need a provoke buddy at those levels
        his job will be to use provoke when your last shadow runs out
        then you follow by recasting you shadows and taking control of the mob again.

This works very well but many make a common mistake
        Communication is key so be sure to make a macro to tell when
        you need your buddy voker to take control of the mob your exping off of.

Most say just to voke when i get hit this is very risky and can cause you to lose enimity and Hitpoints it is much more efficient to
        make a nice macro so the buddy voke knows exactly when to provoke.

As a side note it is not neccesery at all to have a message for when you cast your shadows.Most dont understand that at your level that you overlap your shadows so they think you need help when you have a macro telling the party when your casting Utsemi.So its best to keep the party log free of this and use the buddy macro to tell partner when to provoke.

Comment

When in a party youll need a provoke buddy at those levels
          >.< I know, I've tried explaining "Shadow counting" to the dunes'ers, but apparently asking someone to count to 3 is too challenging for the noobs in Valkrum.

I narrowed it down to:
          Meat Mithakabob and
          Boiled Crayfish (Gives better +DEF% than Boiled Crab and Fish Mithakabobs, but has a lower defense cap so its good (and cheap) for the low level jobs!)

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
          RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

heh I just tell them to provoke when they see me taking damage. If they're really dense about it, I have a macro that does "<call>(Provoke) it for fucks sake!"

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I'm at the same stage Sepukku. I just leveled to 19, and can leave the dunes now. I used mithkabobs as my only food. Like others have said, dont worry about defence food, as Tarus get mangled when they get hit anyway. If anything other than attack food, eat HP up foods to keep you alive, lol.

Since the price of Shihei has dropped to a reasonable price (7k), its not so painful leveling NIN, and really, I'm not using a ton of it anyway. I think I've used maybe less than 2 stacks in 4 levels.

I'm actually loving NIN right now, and we were owning everything in the dunes last night with a dual-ninja pt. We were even kinda gimped damage-wise and still getting very good chains. The pt was nin, nin, pld, mnk, war, whm.

Also, I found I was evading quite a few attacks, even from IT mobs.(if i had to take a guess to percentage, I'd say 25% evade/parry) My evade or parrying (both A for Ninja) kicked in quite often. I dont have much evasion gear either, just Travelers and 2 silver earrings. (+5 evasion total)
              FFXIV: ARR - Leviathan Server - 50 Bard, 47 Dragoon, 50 All crafts, 48 Botany, 48 Miner
              FFXI: Shiva Server

Comment

The joy of Ninja being so overpowered is you can tank things you shouldn't really be tanking many levels above you. Until I reach a satisfactory level when they stop giving 200+ without chains I use Sole Sushi+1. When they're, like, low IT I switch to attack food, either Yellow Curry or on the rare occasions I'm fighting the Lizard family, Bison Steak.
                【MNK 75 - WAR 75 - NIN 75 - BRD 75 - WHM 75】

Comment

Re: Which food to use Level 10-25?

Sorry to bump a year old + thread, but I didn't think it necessary or adviseable to create a new one, especially when I'm always telling people to use the search function.

Well, I used the search function, and this is the thread I found. Not as much info as I'd hoped. Yellow Curry is great - but this thread is for level 10-25, so...yeah.

I haven't partied yet on my NIN, but I'd like to make the push to 20 and beyond over the next week or so, provided I can raise the rest of the gil I need for an Emperor Hairpin (camping isn't an option at the moment). I'm fine gear-wise, but a little fuzzy on food. I've been soloing with Meat Jerky, because it's cheap, and because I don't feel bad if I die (or 2 hour) before it's worn off.

Anyway! Food. I've been seriously eyeing Blackened Frog for the next few levels. I like the stats, and while it's technically listed under ranged attack foods, the stats seem pretty useful for general purpose NIN...ery.

Any thoughts on this, or any more reasonable suggestions? I know Jack-O-Lanterns are pretty popular with a lot of NIN, but I wanted to know if there is anything else I should really be looking at.

Please keep in mind I'm specifically referring to the mid-teen to mid-20 stretch. While it's neat to hear about what you use at endgame, it's not going to do me a bit of good here.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Comment

mid-teen, 20s and 30s = mithkabobs.
                    or anything like that for that matter such as rice dumplings.
                    dumplings give a nice variety of things and arent usually that expensive iirc.
                    17hp, 3str 2vit 1agi 20% atk 5acc hp/mp heal +2. straight 5 acc does more for you than 15% acc at that level.

mithkabobs are a good bang for buck sorta food.
                    in those levels you cant really rely on your evasion much due to the lack of evasion gear.
                    sushi isnt great either since lack of acc gear and its % based.
                    my advice is focus on the dd aspect and duo tank as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni-Ragnarok
                      mid-teen, 20s and 30s = mithkabobs.
                      or anything like that for that matter such as rice dumplings.
                      dumplings give a nice variety of things and arent usually that expensive iirc.
                      17hp, 3str 2vit 1agi 20% atk 5acc hp/mp heal +2. straight 5 acc does more for you than 15% acc at that level.

mithkabobs are a good bang for buck sorta food.
                      in those levels you cant really rely on your evasion much due to the lack of evasion gear.
                      sushi isnt great either since lack of acc gear and its % based.
                      my advice is focus on the dd aspect and duo tank as much as possible.
                      Yeah, main tanking is definitely not an option. I do know that, even though I'm a bit confused food wise. I've leveled NIN before, but it's been a looooong time since then (early 2004) so I wasn't sure how much had changed.

I won't be touching sushi until later on. I'll look into Rice Dumplings, but aren't they rather expensive? Blackened Frog interested me because it's a fair bit cheaper, and it has a lot of really nice NIN friendly benefits to it. If neither of those are an option, I'll cheerfully eat meat, but I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing any other options.

Thanks very much Omni.^^

Comment

I just leveled from 20-24 over the weekend, and my husband had some Navarin left over from when he was skilling cooking on them. I have to highly recommend this stuff if you can get your hands on it cheaply. It gives small bumps to HP, VIT, and AGI, +5 EVA, and a 27% bump to ATK and RATTK (capped at +30@110, I think). All in all, it's an extremely well-rounded food for tanking.

Edit: It also gives +3 STR

Comment

My only gripe about navarin is that its not a 30min food and it doesnt stack. that's 2 gripes actually, sorry.

You have a high chance of eating dirt at those levels and there goes your food other than that, its great for nin if you are not using sushi.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni-Ragnarok
                            My only gripe about navarin is that its not a 30min food and it doesnt stack. that's 2 gripes actually, sorry.

You have a high chance of eating dirt at those levels and there goes your food other than that, its great for nin if you are not using sushi.
                            Yeah, it does help to be married to the high-level cook that's also your BLM ;D

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I died only once in that whole leveling session, and that was thanks to a bad pull (new puller, I guess didn't realize that a Gigas pet leeches link with acrophies >.>)... The Dunes... wow, I don't think I've ever homepointed so many times in one day XD

Comment

I did, and still do, use Jack-o'-Lanterns for those level ranges. When I do something that is capped below 50, I always use them. Although they are a two hour food, so I guess that could be a problem. But they are going to be my CoP food of choice for sure.

Avh, that avatar = awesome. :3

Comment

Working...
                              X