Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monk Feels Notoriously Lack-luster in valkurm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monk Feels Notoriously Lack-luster in valkurm...

Just a question as someone who is thinking of leveling monk for a melee character to go along with my black mage...

My performance in valkurm as a monk seems really lack-luster compared to other classes. Is this just a placebo type thing or is there a point where monk gets better? Combo, for me, seems to do very little damage and my melee hits dont take much off the mob. I've gotten to level 18 and it always felt like I was just taking up space. :[

Anyone have any suggestions? If it's just that monk performance ISNT that great until we get to a certain level, telling me to tough it out works. But if I am missing something important, do tell that as well.

I was using +str rings, white belt, power gi, Republic knuckles, Bone earrings +1, and I was eating meat jerky, if that helps at all.

Re: Monk Feels Notoriously Lack-luster in valkurm...

You should do fine against Goblins and Flies, but only two-handed weapons ever do that well against crabs.

Comment

It will get better and better at later levels. The 1st wow comes at the level of Raging Fists.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

You should do fine against Goblins and Flies, but only two-handed weapons ever do that well against crabs.
        Eh, they don't really have an advantage unless you count the extra Acc and Attack. I know you probably know this but the OP could misinterpret it as two-handed weapons having some special property or something.

Nataka: It's all a placebo. If your performance was sucking, they were probably sucking just as much. In which case you should tell your party to stop being stupid and stop trying to kill monsters that are too high level for them. Your equipment seems fine (though be sure to pick up Purple Belt ASAP.)

Comment

It might help your combo if you have more accuracy. You could try swapping out your STR rings for DEX or the like. Other than that, it could just be the mobs you're fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            Eh, they don't really have an advantage unless you count the extra Acc and Attack. I know you probably know this but the OP could misinterpret it as two-handed weapons having some special property or something.
            Yeah I figured that. I thought he meant that it was a reverse placebo since "two handers" hit higher per hit they "seem" to do better damage since on a per hit bases, they are, but are probably doing similiar DOT.

Anyway, I'll try the accuracy thing as well with the dex rings and/or pack some rice dumplings for a little atk and accuracy.

Comment

Don't use DEX rings, use Vision Rings. Otherwise stick to STR/Mighty Rings.

Rice Dumplings are also good for you if you can afford them, and I hope you're using Battle Gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                Don't use DEX rings, use Vision Rings. Otherwise stick to STR/Mighty Rings.

Rice Dumplings are also good for you if you can afford them, and I hope you're using Battle Gloves.
                Haha, yeah sorry I left those out. :x I do have those.

I'll have to look around for the vision rings.

Thanks everyone for your advice. ^^

Comment

I just got out of your stage. I felt like shit in Valkurm (until the very end at least when we were just fighting gobbies), then as soon as I got to Qufim.. Oh wait I can solo pretty much any tough. I hit IT worms for 25~ hand, Crabs for 15-18~ hand. Pugils were about the same as worms. Combo for 100+ on everything.

I've been doing a ton of duoing and trioing and the exp is just ridiculous.
                  25MNK/18WAR

Comment

Originally posted by Nataka View Post
                    Yeah I figured that. I thought he meant that it was a reverse placebo since "two handers" hit higher per hit they "seem" to do better damage since on a per hit bases, they are, but are probably doing similiar DOT.

Anyway, I'll try the accuracy thing as well with the dex rings and/or pack some rice dumplings for a little atk and accuracy.
                    What I've noticed is smaller weapons don't retain the same damage over time of their larger counter-parts when fighting crabs. They still do less damage per hit, if any, but their low delay does not make up for it. Great katanas seem the least effected.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                      What I've noticed is smaller weapons don't retain the same damage over time of their larger counter-parts when fighting crabs. They still do less damage per hit, if any, but their low delay does not make up for it. Great katanas seem the least effected.
                      That'd explain why Monk felt so painful, then, since I just leveled after leveling Samurai. XD

Comment

Well, don't take my word for it; it's just what I've noticed in my times. I'm sure Armando has the math to prove otherwise.

Comment

your gear isn't that bad. add a couple courage rings (str +2) to the mix and you really should be ok. also, get ridda that white belt and buy a purple one! str + 3 and haste
                          | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                          2/5 WAR +2
                          Farsha(85)

Comment

Working...
                          X