[TEST] Counter Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TEST] Counter Data

This test was made to look into the claim that Counter is affected by the user's hit rate (i.e. lower hit rate = less counters.) Each trial was conducted against the same crab, without interruptions. For the second trial, Blinding Potion's effect was kept up at all times. Target mobs were Bigclaw in Toraimarai Canal (49-52).

Stats, etc

Test 1: High (95%) hit rate
    EP Bigclaw (Lv.52)
    Raw data

Summary:
    Total attack rounds: 731
    Landed Hits: 370
    Misses: 277
    Mob's Crits: 21/370 (5.68%)
    Parries: 45
    Counters: 39/409 (9.54%)

Test 2: Blinding Potions
    TW Bigclaw (49/50/51)
    Raw data

Summary:
    Total attack rounds: 711
    Landed Hits: 373
    Misses: 286
    Mob's Crits: 19/373 (5.09%)
    Parries: 39
    Counters: 13/386 (3.37%)

The difference is as clear as night and day. It seems the base Counter rate is 10%. I was expecting 2% counter rate (because of the 20% hit rate floor) on the second test, but it could be that Signet is giving me a hit rate bonus because of the 18-20 level difference. I'll have to come back later with some more Blinding Potions and see if my hit rate is ~30% on them instead of the expected 20%. Regardless, it's pretty obvious that Counter does depend on hit rate.
    Last edited by Armando; 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM.

Re: [TEST] Counter Data

Great data, always wanted to test that even though I had never got around to it! Please keep us informed with any new information~
    RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
    sigpic

Comment

So long story short...acc boosts counter?
      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
        So long story short...acc boosts counter?
        From what the tests show, yes~ SO Counterstance is better stacked with Focus!
        RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
        sigpic

Comment

It's not quite so much that Accuracy boosts counter, as it is the fact that you can miss your Counters. And if you miss your Counter, it's not just damage you're losing, you're also losing an avoided attack. I'd assume the chance of missing your Counter is the same as the chance that you'd miss any other hit. But I'll have to parse my hit rate on those crabs first.

Yet another reason why WAR/MNKs that don't Shield Break, fail.

Comment

How do you figure signet gave you a bonus to acc? The signet boost against EP-EM is Defense and Evade.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Because Blinding Potions are absurdly powerful. With 251 Sword Skill and 52 DEX, I can chug one down and I'd still need an extra 4 Acc to make a Tiny Mandragora check Low Evasion. Wiki reports the Blind effect as -256. I haven't been able to confirm this myself, but if it is -256, that'd make the Tiny Mandragora's evasion 9, which seems about right.

A Lv.52 crab has 169. My Accuracy was 163 + 58*3/4 + 25 = 231. The Blinding Potions should've dropped my Accuracy down to 0 or 1, whichever the floor is for that stat.

In addition to that, not too long ago I was in Castle Oztroja. Wanted to do some research on WS with additional effects (especially Stun) and whether they could proc on "extra" hits (DA, offhand, etc.) So I figured the easiest way to go about it was to use mobs with Utsusemi. Long story short, I popped a Blinding Potion against a Yagudo Herald (32-36) and I noticed that I was hardly missing, even though I should've whiffed like a madman.
              ------------------------------------------
              I'm definitely getting a bonus to my hit rate. Just went out and clobbered a Lv.50 Bigclaw with 158 Evasion, with Signet on. My hit rate was 62/150, 41.33%. The one from test two was probably Lv.51.
              Last edited by Armando; 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I has a feeling this isn't the first time we've seen some accuracy-boosting factor affecting acc floor as well...

Hmm.
                "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  This test was made to look into the claim that Counter is affected by the user's hit rate (i.e. lower hit rate = less counters.) Each trial was conducted against the same crab, without interruptions. For the second trial, Blinding Potion's effect was kept up at all times. Target mobs were Bigclaw in Toraimarai Canal (49-52).

Stats, etc

Test 1: High (95%) hit rate
                  EP Bigclaw (Lv.52)
                  Raw data

Summary:
                  Total attack rounds: 731
                  Landed Hits: 370
                  Misses: 277
                  Mob's Crits: 21/370 (5.68%)
                  Parries: 45
                  Counters: 39/409 (9.54%)

Test 2: Blinding Potions
                  TW Bigclaw (49/50/51)
                  Raw data

Summary:
                  Total attack rounds: 711
                  Landed Hits: 373
                  Misses: 286
                  Mob's Crits: 19/373 (5.09%)
                  Parries: 39
                  Counters: 13/386 (3.37%)

The difference is as clear as night and day. It seems the base Counter rate is 10%. I was expecting 2% counter rate (because of the 20% hit rate floor) on the second test, but it could be that Signet is giving me a hit rate bonus because of the 18-20 level difference. I'll have to come back later with some more Blinding Potions and see if my hit rate is ~30% on them instead of the expected 20%. Regardless, it's pretty obvious that Counter does depend on hit rate.
                  Flawed test its not pretty clear from your test. I already know it to be true, but your testing is flawed. You don't show where you eliminated all other possible variables.

Also what wiki "team" are you on. I see an account on ffxiclopedia with the same name, is that you? Thats just a joe average member on ffxiclopedia. 1st impression of you reading your threads here is you want to pass yourself off as some kind of authority. I ran into your threads here by google search for something unrelated.

Comment

I'll let Armando defend him/herself but who the hell are you and why should any of us care what you're ranting on about?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                    ------
                    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by TheBridge View Post
                      Flawed test its not pretty clear from your test. I already know it to be true, but your testing is flawed. You don't show where you eliminated all other possible variables.

Also what wiki "team" are you on. I see an account on ffxiclopedia with the same name, is that you? Thats just a joe average member on ffxiclopedia. 1st impression of you reading your threads here is you want to pass yourself off as some kind of authority. I ran into your threads here by google search for something unrelated.
                      It's more like we consider him to be an intelligent and well informed player. I've never heard Armando try to pass himself off as anything but a guy who likes to know stuff and do tests. So your comment is unwarranted.
                      Last edited by nanatsu; 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM. Reason: meh typing too fast for my brain to keep up
                      My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                      Originally posted by Balfree
                      Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBridge View Post

lol @ your first post ever, on ffxionline, flaming Armando.

Although, I can see from the plentiful arguments which you presented how Armando's testing is flawed...

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
                        WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

The bridge is a 1 time poster, so I wouldnt worry what he has to say. (unless its a sock puppet). Good test armando thanks for the info, was looking to level mnk next and knowing ths is for sure it will greatly help.

As for signet I am under the assumption it gives boosts to, ACC,DEF,EVA,ATK in low man settings solo-3 ppl as I have yet to acctually go out and test with more than 4.

sig courtesy tgm
                          retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by Truece View Post
                            lol @ your first post ever, on ffxionline, flaming Armando.

Although, I can see from the plentiful arguments which you presented how Armando's testing is flawed...
                            Whether the test was flawed or not, that's a pretty presumptuous way to go about pointing it out, considering it's his first post and no one knows who the *beep* this guy is. I'd dare say it's troll worthy.
                            My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                            Originally posted by Balfree
                            Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu View Post
                              Whether the test was flawed or not, that's a pretty presumptuous way to go about pointing it out, considering it's his first post and no one knows who the *beep* this guy is. I'd dare say it's troll worthy.
                              I guess I need to add some /sarcasm tags. Maybe Mhurron can show me how they work?

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
                              WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X