vs

Askar Korazin
    [Body] All Races
    DEF: 49 STR +5 Attack +12 Evasion +12
    "Double Attack" +2%
    "Store TP" +5
    Set: Max HP Boost
    Lv. 75 WAR / PLD / DRK / BST / SAM / DRG

The question comes up because once I am done with CoP I think that I will be working on ZNMs for a bit in order to get the Aurum Sabatons and a Blood Ring. While I do plan on doing Nyzul Isle, since I plan on doing ZNMs I thought I might want to consider the Aurum Cuirass.

I'm leaning more towards the Askar Korazin, especially since there is other gear that I want from Nyzul Isle and I will be deciding on whether or not to go for a Ryunohige once more information is out about them.

And I really do like the +DA on the Askar Korazin over the +dex on the Aurum Cuirass. +dex/acc is good, but the +DA is important to me since it can activate on Jumps, and has a slighly better chance of activating on a multihit WS, which for the most part, is what Drgs use.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Aurum Cuirass vs Askar Korazin

Askar. It's pretty. TP in that.

Blink in Aurum (ugly!!) for WS.

*Depends on your accuracy %.
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Now that this post has had a week to toast, I'ma put some random input.

I guess if you get a good Nyzul group, no reason not to get the Askar. But that's still a long way off (or maybe I'm just bitter that my group fell apart after only 3 weeks and never got to floor 10).

If you're in an LS that actually does tier 3 and 4 ZNMs, I think the cuirass is certainly quicker to obtain.

Pure performance-wise, I don't think you'd notice much difference. I think your mithra-ness would somehow make the Aurum less fugly, somehow. Also, you'll want the pissy feet too, so may as well match it to a like-colored body. Heck, while you're at it... Aurum legs perform pretty much identically to AF+1 legs iirc?

Well anyway, back to performance. Dex+8 = acc+6. I don't like to even point this out, since I'm always looking at stripping back acc but... that's 3% higher hit rate which should be 3% extra damage and 3% faster WSs vs 2% double attack which should be a linear 2% extra damage and 2% faster WSs. So ehhh in a vacuum, I think Aurum is slightly better. 3 higher +attack and 3 higher +STR helps, too.

But what are we really talking about, here? Store TP. Which I'll get to later. You sub WAR much? Or /mage solo? Or get forced to /nin?
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Blink in Aurum (ugly!!) for WS.
        That color of yellow is not among my favorite colors either Although, looking at it in the model viewer, it doesn't look that bad really, but that might just be due to my Mithraness like Lmnop said

But what are we really talking about, here? Store TP. Which I'll get to later. You sub WAR much? Or /mage solo? Or get forced to /nin?
        Generally speaking, I don't sub Warrior, it's too hard to stay alive, so /Sam is the preferred DD sub. I refuse parties that want me to go /nin over /sam, and any /mage solo work lately has been in campaign, if that makes a difference.

Dex+8 = acc+6. I don't like to even point this out, since I'm always looking at stripping back acc but... that's 3% higher hit rate which should be 3% extra damage and 3% faster WSs vs 2% double attack which should be a linear 2% extra damage and 2% faster WSs. So ehhh in a vacuum, I think Aurum is slightly better. 3 higher +attack and 3 higher +STR helps, too.
        The +6acc = 3% higher hit rate assumes that I'm not somewhere between 92%-95% accuracy on the mobs that I fight correct? Which I'm not, but still, I think that I'll be either able to attain that on Colibri or come pretty close to it once I finish off my polearm merits, in addition to +acc from gear.

Heck, while you're at it... Aurum legs perform pretty much identically to AF+1 legs iirc?
        Yeah you're right, if I haven't gotten a pair of +haste pants by that point I probably would want to switch out my Barone pants for the Aurum Cuisses, for TP at anyrate.

It probably would be a good idea to just go ahead and pick up the Aurum Body/Legs/Feet before going on to Nyzul Isle stuff, just as an upgrade to my current gear. But I am still interested in the, "once I have both body pieces, which should I use", question.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

Comment

Prologue: HOLY SHIT. I didn't intend for this to be so long. Let's see if I can highlight the non-math so you can just catch that and check my numbers when you care.

For when you're soloing, /maging away, you'll need some Store TP to get down to 7 hits -> 100.

Thallasocrat deal is 492 delay, so 13.3 tp/hit.

With 0 sTP, that's 93 tp after 7 swings.

With 5 sTP (Askar alone or Rajas alone), 13.9 tp/swing which gets you 97.3 tp in 7 swings.
          This is enough that Penta Thrust extra swings could feasibly get you to 100 but it's risky (remember, even @95%, chances of landing all 5 are in the 70s). Chances for 3/5 are excellent, however. But don't you occasionally use Skewer or WT? In those instances...

With 7 sTP (Aurum alone or Askar/Rajas + 2*), 14.2 tp/swing = 99.4 after 7 hits. Pretty easy to assume at least 1 extra swing of Penta or Skewer or whatever will land (oh, and let's not forget the upcoming 4 hit WS). Still not ideal for WT, though.

Any amount over 7 will result in hitting that 100 level. The interesting bit is what it takes to get here, short of Aurum. It means Chiv instead of sea gorget/torque, ecphoria (what I use) instead woodsman , and one of the many suboptimal sources of sTP+1.

Of course, the easy way out is to get a Rajas. Rajas + Askar and you're set for solo. Assuming you even use that ring/body/lance for solo.

--------

Ok, now for the good part: /sam.

Just subbing SAM, you're at a 7-hit (15 in traits). So the new goal is 6-hit.

I'll save you some of the low numbers and jump straight to Rajas + Askar.

sTP +25: 16.6/swing, 99.6/6 swings.

If this satisfies you (my opinion: this is good enough for merits and basically anything you don't use WT on. And uh... if you're in a good enough endgame LS, you'll find that you don't even WT "the big stuff".), then get acc elsewhere and call it a day with Askar.

If it doesn't, Aurum takes you the rest of the bit up.

But there's one more contingency I want to cover...
          the absence of Rajas.

If you decide you'd rather have mage ring for your upcoming SCH, for instance, there's still a 6-hit at the end of your rainbow.

5 in body, 1 in earring (Brutal earring is wonderful. Prioritize it above a new body piece), 1 neck, 1 more* = 23 sTP. 16.3/swing --> 97.8/6 swings and multi-hit WSs will give 1.2 tp/extra swing. So still, 2 extras needed.

Ok, at this point I feel like I'm just rambling with tons of different number values but i'll just say that replace Askar with Aurum, and you'll have it more reliable. But not like it matters 'cuz you're only going to get 2/5 Penta thrust once/90 minutes. 25 sTP, see math above for Rajas + Askar figures.

/////END NUMBERS

*There are a plethora of items that give +1 sTP. Obviously, some of these are loved because of their other stats. Others have almost nothing else going for them. A list at a glance, organized (roughly) from best to worst:
          Brutal Earring
          Chivalrous Chain
          Echopria Ring
          Bushido Mantle
          Attila's Earring (I think that's the one. sTP+1 is all it has)

When I reference "another +1", I mean one of these. It's also worthy of note that we have a few mildly useful +2s on the market, as of last update.

-some ammo piece that comes from a Doomvoid NM fight with hp/mp+15, sTP+2, and enmity -2
          -some neck thing that I don't even remember where it's from. Gives Subtle Blow and Store TP+2.

So yeah... have fun. I hope maybe my math will save you some time or... something.

25 is the ideal number, but 23 should work ok. Especially since you have Barone to make your Jumps fill in the gaps.

What did this all say about Aurum vs Askar?

Just that if you're having problems getting to a new "tier" of x-hit build, Aurum will make it easier.

And if you're ever at a nexus of x stat vs one less hit to 100, the one less hit is pretty much always gonna be the better deal for your damage.
          Last edited by Lmnop; 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM.

Comment

This is enough that Penta Thrust extra swings could feasibly get you to 100 but it's risky
            Especially since lately it seems if I miss a hit on Penta Thrust it's the first one and I lose out on about 13tp or so right there.

I think I am pretty set on that Rajas ring, and I think working on a Sea torque will be among the last things I do, so I'll most likely be using the CChain for TP and Sea gorget for WS, so I'll have an easy +12 store TP with Rajas/Askar/Brutal/CChain, and +14 store TP with Rajas/Aurum/Brutal/CChain, and it seems that with either combination I should be able to hit a 6 hit TP build with /sam and a 7 hit TP build with /nonsamurai, so that's pretty nice.

So, if I read all that right, it seems like if my accuracy could use improving, Aurum, if not, Askar might be the better (or at least what I consider better, I find that I'm rather fixated with +double attack stuff for some reason, and +9% DA sounds so much better to me than +7% DA)

I think I will go for it, it'll be a nice step up from my Assault Jerkin, and then there are all the side perks to joining a ZNM LS for awhile longer than I had originally planned on doing.

Thanks Lmnop! =^.^=

Comment

ZNM LS???

I want one ;;

Comment

Yeah, Taiyonomahou, my CoP noble leader, is in one, and I think they have about 3 runs per week. I'm hoping to get into his once I build up some more zeni points. Plus I've heard of a few others on my server, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad

And join the Unicorn server, it's where all the cool kitties hang out!

Comment

Depends on your other gear ^^ I'd use Askar for the Double Attack and Hotness, also if you don't jump with barone body, I wouldn't jump with anything -vit, DA Jump is nice.
                  Last edited by Martin; 09-01-2008, 10:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I wouldn't jump with anything -vit,
                    You're giving VIT too much weight then.

Comment

Still, it's something to think on when doing a direct comparison. And double attack CAN proc on jumps, so it's a valid argument. But I still come back to the fact that their performance will be mostly the same. The only reason I see to use one over the other would be using Aurum when Askar won't help you get to 100% tp fast enough.

And yeah, that -8 VIT will amount to roughly -1 damage on Jumps. O-n-e damage. I'd be more concerned with the -8 AGI for solo. (which widens the gap even further between it and Askar's +12 evasion).

Also:

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Hotness
                      This is the biggest thing Askar has going for it.

Comment

Entirely depends on your other gear/merits. My DRG reaches 6 hit as /SAM(7 as /mage) using Askar body to TP, so the extra +2 sTP wouldn't do anything for me, and I have full polearm merits and a solid amount of Acc, so I would prefer the DA of Askar for occassional faster TP gain and boost to Jumps. I suppose these are more sidegrades than anything, if you already had one I wouldn't go out of your way to get the other. I also solo a lot as DRG though, and 12 Evasion is 12 Evasion, overall I prefer Askar.

Although, Aurum body is hot for Wheeling Thrust.
                        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Why do people insist on screwing with default font colors. I can't read any of that blue on the dark skin. lol

Really, they're about even. I like the DA on Askar but it's not a breaking point either. I'd say the -Vit is bad for jumps but it isn't going to modify it enough to matter. Though the +6 attack and accuracy from the STR and DEX is hot.

I guess...

Askar solo or in a DA heavy build (brutal, v fork, ares' legs)
                          Aurum in a standard party probably

Honestly though, either works. They're the two best body pieces for DRG that don't come with a 9 million gil price tag

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

I think my personal choice would be Askar with Zahak's mail for weapon skills.

I do need a little more Store TP at the moment (especially since no Rajas, took mage ring but going to change that) I have a habit at the moment of ending up on 99% TP.

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                              Why do people insist on screwing with default font colors. I can't read any of that blue on the dark skin. lol
                              Oh sure, everyone else can screw with the font colors, but the 2nd time I've ever messed with them in 4 years, someone has to come in and cry about not being able to read it. I coulda swore whatever white background I was using was default... maybe it's an old default that I went to after an server update.

Comment

Working...
                              X