What would you upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you upgrade?

Ok, I'm level 56 DRG, but I have collected a materials from Limbus to upgrade a piece of Dragoon AF. What I want to know is... as a level 75 Dragoon, which piece of Drachen Armor would you want to upgrade first?

Re: What would you upgrade?

Legs. +9 Acc, if you got nothing else for that slot.
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Hands are a fantastic WS piece when there aren't a ton of other good options in that slot. If your LS does ZNM I would try to get ahold of Aurum Cuisses(STR/VIT+4 Acc+7 Atk-4) and upgrade the hands, but you still have a bit to decide on that.

Edit: Erm I forgot about Heca hands, if you have those or have easy access then yeah legs are the way to go.
      Last edited by Callisto; 07-14-2008, 10:45 AM.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

While the legs are good, I don't know if I'd go for them first based solely on the +acc.

That being said, I think the three pieces that I would consider upgrading first would be Body, Hands, and Legs. The order in which you upgrade them is probably a bit situational.

My thoughts on it if it was me, and keeping in mind that I don't care much about + or - 5 or so accuracy:

I don't feel that I need more, or much more, +acc, so I'm not terribly in favor of the pants. If I did want more +acc, this would probably be an excellent spot to get it though, and wyvern breaths get a mild boost with +15% hp, 5% more than NQ Drachen Brais.

The hands seem nice. I don't think I would want to go with Hecatomb for hands, it kinda seems like the Gigas bracelet line is better/cheaper/easier to optain, although it does come with -dex on it. For WS though, that shouldn't be a problem, for TP, I still don't think it would be a problem. This one is a tough call for me, especially since I don't know how much +acc they give the wyvern. Pallas bracelets, which are pretty cheap, seem to be better at least from the +str standpoint. I can get +9str/almost +8att from them, almost double what the hands give. On the other hand, if the +wyvern accuracy is high enough to make a noticable difference, I'd be more than happy to use the Drachen Finger Gauntlets +1. My wyvern hitting for an extra hit will probably outdamage the difference that using Pallas Bracelets would have given me.

I rather like the body. With the +str combined with the +att that gives you about +11.8 attack, rounded up to 12. In comparing AF+1 to say, AJ, +12att and +6str is roughly equal to +18 attack in my book. If you didn't have an AJ, I would definately go with the Drachen Mail +1.

So as you can see, I think it's situational. I don't think I would get any AF+1 for myself at this time, because I have gear that I think is equal to or better, and will be working towards Askar shortly, which I think trumps the AF+1 body. The only piece that I would consider upgrading at this time would be the Drachen Greaves, however as far as I know the Drachen Greaves +1 have the same effects on Jumps that the Drachen Greaves have, and so I don't feel like there is much of a point to upgrading them.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Well, my target gear set for 75 looks like this so far (for the relevant slots occupied by AF):

Walahra Turban / Optical Hat
          Askar Korazin / Paluhwan Kazaghand
          Dusk Gloves
          Barbarossa's Zerehs / Barone Cosicales
          Homam Gambieras

Now this is basically a Haste build with some choice +Acc pieces for certain applications. The missing set, obviously, is the WS set which makes the hands rather attractive.

The build I'm looking for is a DD build. I use Red Mage almost exclusively for solo applications--I'm not opposed to DRG solo, but RDM is just so nice that I really can't fathom enjoying DRG's rather more death-flirting solo style being more common for me.

I really liked the way the body looked, and Askar Body is quite a hard climb. Barbarossa's Zereh's are similarly difficult to obtain. Hecatomb Hands are not even close to expensive, only about 60k on Asura, but it takes a really good long time to get Limbus mats and the ABCs cost me 10k each (because they're farmed, not bought) times 20 coins so that's 200k for the Drachen Finger Gauntlets +1. I don't really care how much they cost so much as I care whether or not it's worthwhile for me to upgrade them when Hecatombs are so much easier to get.

Accuracy +9 on the Brais seems really unique among the leg items, but would i ever wear them?

The feet have that lovely DEX +5 bonus, and I really don't care if the Jump effect stays the same--I'll still be swapping them in for jumps regardless.

The mail is expensive. 40 coins is 400,000gil and comparable to AJ except in the Vitality department which makes it a lovely swap in for Jump.

The armet, however, has an even bigger VIT bonus for jumps but it doesn't have any STR or Attack--comparatively only costs 30 ABC's.

I'm not entirely certain if it would be worth the investment to upgrade any of the pieces.

I think, however, I will cross off the Hands because of Hecatomb's availability and low-cost.

The other pieces, especially legs, and feet are still in play. Body seems like a good Jump piece especially because of the VIT--it gives a better boost to Jumps that the beautiful black Korazin does. There's nothing like the legs anywhere in DRG and it gives a lovely bit of versatility in allowing me to stack some Acc onto legs when I want to use a different body/headpiece, and the feet will never go out of style.

Hecatomb harness ranks with the body with its Accuracy bonus and STR+12, and they have comparable price tags--I always thought Heca looked cooler than AF anyway.

Also, I really don't like DRG AF (fashion wise)--it's brother the Wyrm set has a much slicker look, so when a comparison comes down to style and appearance, AF will generally lose.
          Last edited by Sabaron; 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I don't really see the need for you to upgrade any of the AF. I doubt you would use legs instead of Barb/Barone. You will still get better returns from STR than VIT for jumps.

Only thing I could think of to upgrade would be the legs for me. Not for the ACC but that extra 5% to my healing breaths. I don't know if I would waste my time doing it though.
            Thanks Kazuki.
            Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
              I really liked the way the body looked, and Askar Body is quite a hard climb.
              It's actually much easier than you'd think, with a decent group Nyzul isn't that bad and it's tons of fun, and bodies drop pretty easily on 80's in my experience(not to mention our first 5 bodies were Askar).

Hecatomb Hands are not even close to expensive, only about 60k on Asura
              What the fuck? I just dropped 400k for these and that was a really good deal on Ramuh. How much do Angel Skins go for there?

Accuracy +9 on the Brais seems really unique among the leg items, but would i ever wear them?
              They really are nice, I personally didn't have to make this choice b/c my DRG came with Head/Hands/Legs done already, but aside from Aurum Cuisses the AF+1 legs are one of the best Penta pieces. While DRG has an easier time than others in terms of Accuracy, don't forget that it still takes a fair amount to land all 5 hits, not to mention that outside of Homam/Barbossa pants the +9 Acc is about the best you can for TPing as well.

As far as TP/WS sets, here's mine if it helps get some ideas, again mine came with all this gear, this is just how I put it together:

TP

WS

Comment

Hecatomb Hands are not even close to expensive, only about 60k on Asura
                You sure? They're ~408k according to FFXIAH!

Comment

Sabaron was probably looking at Cursed Mitts rather than Cursed Gloves, those are about 60k here. Remember the ones for Hecatomb say something about coral in the description.

Comment

Yeah, Sabaron. Koenig's the cheap stuff.

Pair Of Cursed Gloves - Asura - FFXIAH.com
                    "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I was wrong, Hecatomb Hands are 425,000gil on Asura. I was looking at Cursed Mufflers instead of Gloves.

Comment

If anything, I'd go with the Hands because the rest...doesn't seem that great.

But I'm not a drg so take my advice with a grain of salt
                        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Walahra Turban / Optical Hat
                          Askar Korazin / Paluhwan Kazaghand
                          Dusk Gloves
                          Barbarossa's Zerehs / Barone Cosicales
                          Homam Gambieras
                          Since you're aiming for the Askar Korazin, you might want to consider the Askar Zucchetto. You might also want to consider the Aurum Sabotons instead of the Homam Gambieras.

The mail is expensive. 40 coins is 400,000gil and comparable to AJ except in the Vitality department which makes it a lovely swap in for Jump.
                          I would make the arguement that the Askar is more valuable jump piece because of the +DA. If DA procs on a jump, that'll outdamage any +vit you may have swapped in. If you wanted a swap in body piece for jumps, and are willing to drop 400k to do it, I'd consider the Barone Corazza. Combined with the Barone Cosicales, the +4tp/jump would really add up. As it is, the Barone Cosicales and store TP stuff take care of most of the times I'm stuck waiting at 99% tp, either some more store TP, or the Barone Corazza should completely eliminate that annoying occurance.

I think I would not get either the Hecatomb Harness or Drachen Mail+1. While the Hecatomb Harness looks nice, how much of an improvement is it really over Askar? Your money might be better spent elsewhere. If it's something you want anyway, I'd say go for it. But that amount of gil, I'd rather go for an Amemet Mantle +1 if you don't have one already, or consider working towards an Ares's Cuirass which puts both pieces to shame.

I've been playing with some gear swaps, and from what I have seen from other players, I think that if you go with say:

Askar Zucchetto
                          Askar Korazin
                          Dusk Gloves
                          Barby Pants
                          Aurum Sabotons
                          +misc accessories

I don't think much will outdamage you outside of someone swapping in say, full Hecatomb/Ares for WS.

Right now for my main armor, as Drg/sam, I'm using:

W.Turban
                          Assault Jerkin
                          Dusk Gloves
                          Barone Cosicales
                          Drachen Greaves
                          +misc accessories

And I'm not seeing many dragoons outdamage me, even with the room for improvement that I have. The people who can/do outdamage me are those Drgs that have full polearm merits, and or who have the full Hecatomb WS swap in pieces.

I see some people swapping in say, about half of the Hecatomb set, but I see little to no noticable difference in their WS numbers and mine. Maybe there is one there, but if so it's small and it's well within the normal range of damage that a melee could normally do. When they swap in the full Hecatomb set, then there is a noticable difference, so I've come away with the impression that it's kind of all or nothing in this aspect.

And after a bit more thought, I think I would go for the AF+1 pants if I were to go for any at all, it is pretty unique, and I think an arguement could be made for the DD aspect of them with the +20-40 boost to the wyvern breath attacks assuming that you are drg/sam and using WS quite a bit.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                            I think I would not get either the Hecatomb Harness or Drachen Mail+1. While the Hecatomb Harness looks nice, how much of an improvement is it really over Askar?
                            In terms of Penta, 7 STR and 10 Acc is a large difference, and even for Wheeling/Gimpulse 7 STR 10 Acc vs. 9~ Attack and 2% DA is pretty debatable.

Comment

To be fair, I've seen people equiped far worse then my War put out similar numbers. A lot of this is "nickel-and-diming", giving us small boosts that add up over time and aren't really noticable outside of parsers. It's too the point where the slow%+ on Heca is considered a negative, even during WS swaps, because the fraction of a second you're wearing them could delay your next attack.

Personally, I think you should just grab what you need most now and what you think will be the most useful to you for what you're paying.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X