So I'm confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm confused...

I've heard conflicting stories about the DRG class.

1) They're awesome DoT, some of the better classes.

2) They do horrible damage.

Is number 2 being said because DRGs don't have big number WS like DRK/WAR/etc, but do a lot of smaller numbers more frequently? I'm worried because, in the past, I've had the habit of finding the worse melee class in the game and being too stubborn to admit it...

I swear I won't ask too many questions :|

Re: So I'm confused...

The truth:

DRG is a very versatile, capable job that is limited at lower levels due to a poor selection of available gear and decent weaponskills. At 75 it's a very nice DD, with the right gear/subjob setup an amazing solo job, and it always has extra supplemental damage in the form of its wyvern. It has a very nice combination of Job Traits and Abilities as well.

There has, however, been an epidemic in the past of really, really terrible players choosing DRG as their main job, which kind of gave it an undeserved stigma(from what I've heard, this runs true across all servers, not just Ramuh).

I've never known someone who has taken DRG to 75 and not loved the job, if you think it looks interesting go for it, as long as you equip it properly and learn what you're doing your damage numbers will be fine.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

The worst melee class in the game is black mage. Don't use them for melee.

The whole "drg do horrible damage" is a few years old. Most people (the ones who aren't idiots) have seen a drg in action and know better. I am not saying we are the best, but by no means horrible. Play a few melee classes and see which one fits your style. One job will do more damage than the others in certain situations.
      Thanks Kazuki.
      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Reichter View Post
        I've heard conflicting stories about the DRG class.

1) They're awesome DoT, some of the better classes.

2) They do horrible damage.
        Either can be true. A lot of DRGs just think thier AF if the bee's knees and play the job with the armor on all the damn time, making the perform poorly in general. A properly geared DRG will do well alongside other DDs, so the question is whether you choose to wear armor as a show piece or for the stats and know how to use that armor and when.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
          The truth:

DRG is a very versatile, capable job that is limited at lower levels due to a poor selection of available gear and decent weaponskills. At 75 it's a very nice DD, with the right gear/subjob setup an amazing solo job, and it always has extra supplemental damage in the form of it's wyverns. It has a very nice combination of Job Traits and Abilities as well.

There has, however, been an epidemic in the past of really, really terrible players choosing DRG as their main job, which kind of gave it an undeserved stigma(from what I've heard, this runs true across all servers, not just Ramuh).
          The myth about poor gear and weaponskills still lives I see. Double Thrust does awesome damage and is better than most ws at low levels. Also we have many pieces of armor that other melee classes can wear up until Sam, War, Drk, etc wear Hauby.
          Thanks Kazuki.
          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Double Thrust is great, I meant more the fact that you don't get a decent one between Double and Penta. At lower to mid levels though, DRG does hurt for STR/Atk/Acc gear that other DD classes get access to(outside of SH). I still say DRG not being able to were Hauberk class armor while NIN can is a crime.

Edit: Fixed.

P.S.: Strikethrough!
            Last edited by Callisto; 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              A lot of DRGs just think thier AF if the bee's knees and play the job with the armor on all the damn time, making the perform poorly in general.
              Now this intrigues me...I was under the impressions that AF armor was, in fact, the bee's knees (for all classes) and you should equip different slots with different items depending on the situation...

God I hate having to learn new games, lol.

Comment

Now this intrigues me...I was under the impressions that AF armor was, in fact, the bee's knees (for all classes) and you should equip different slots with different items depending on the situation...

God I hate having to learn new games, lol.
                AF Armor is, in general, rather unimpressive in comparison to higher level stuff. You have to remember that you finish the whole set by 60, so there has to be something to upgrade to after that. Many AF pieces depending on job retain a certain usefulness--especially those pieces with skill bonuses and unusual bonuses or effects that no other items have, but you will probably not retain a lot of it. As a RDM, I've placed my gloves and boots in storage. As far as AF goes, RDM has a fairly good set. SAMs and WARs use very little if any of their AF.

Comment

Double Thrust is great, I meant more the fact that you don't get a decent one between Double and Penta. At lower to mid levels though, DRG does hurt for STR/Atk/Acc gear that other DD classes get access to(outside of SH). I still say DRG not being able to were Hauberk class armor while NIN can is a crime.
                  Please let me know what drg can't wear at low to mid levels that war, drk, sam, mnk can wear. I know that sam and mnk have different styles of armor. At 30 drg get mercenary captains gear that war and drk cant wear. That has str and dex on it.

Also please name the weapons skills between the first one you learn and the "ideal" weapon skills that are used most.

Here's an example of what I mean.

Drg learns Double Thrust at 10 then Penta at 49. Everything in between sucks. Thf learns Viper Bite in the 30's and probably uses that until Dancing Edge.
                  Thanks Kazuki.
                  Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
                    AF Armor is, in general, rather unimpressive in comparison to higher level stuff. You have to remember that you finish the whole set by 60, so there has to be something to upgrade to after that. Many AF pieces depending on job retain a certain usefulness--especially those pieces with skill bonuses and unusual bonuses or effects that no other items have, but you will probably not retain a lot of it. As a RDM, I've placed my gloves and boots in storage. As far as AF goes, RDM has a fairly good set. SAMs and WARs use very little if any of their AF.
                    Oh I figured the level 60 stuff would be replaced eventually. No doubt about that.

But, isn't there an AF2 set or something? Not that I have any delussions of getting that any time soon or anything...I just like to know all I can before jumping into anything.

Comment

Af2 = Relic armor. Obtained from Dynamis runs. It has its uses but its mostly not worn 100% of the time.
                      Thanks Kazuki.
                      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

It has nothing to do with the job, it has everything to do with the player.

While gear isn't everything, I see DRGs all the time that walk around in gear that is so horribly gimped that it can't do anything but hinder them.

DRG damage is more gradual than the spike damage a lot of DDs generate. I do well with Penta Thrust but it can't touch some of the weaponskills that DRKs, SAMs and GA WARs can put out. Overall though the damage usually evens out pretty well, especially when you take wyverns into account. Callisto's first paragraph summed it up pretty well. DRG is a capable DD with more versatility then any of the more dedicated DD's.

edit: also, the original AF armor can be upgraded into some very solid level 74 pieces that are among some of the better gear we get.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Oh I figured the level 60 stuff would be replaced eventually. No doubt about that.

But, isn't there an AF2 set or something? Not that I have any delussions of getting that any time soon or anything...I just like to know all I can before jumping into anything.
                          There are 4 "versions" of AF armor available:
                          • Your original AF.
                          • AF+1 obtained from Limbus upgrades of your AF.
                          • AF2 (Relic) obtained from Dynamis.
                          • AF2+1 obtained from Dreamland Dynamis ugrades to your AF2.
                          For Dragoon:

Drachen Armor
                          Drachen Armor +1
                          Wyrm Armor
                          Wyrm Armor +1

A lot of your gear will be used as "swap-ins". Gear swapping mid-battle is very powerful in FFXI. Another popular set for high level DRGs that's not terribly hard to obtain is the Barone Corazza Set. Of course there are a lot of little nuances and special pieces like Assault Jerkin, Optical Hat, Wahlara Turban, etc. but an actual DRG would be better at running through gear sets for DRGs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal View Post
                            Please let me know what drg can't wear at low to mid levels that war, drk, sam, mnk can wear. I know that sam and mnk have different styles of armor. At 30 drg get mercenary captains gear that war and drk cant wear. That has str and dex on it.

Also please name the weapons skills between the first one you learn and the "ideal" weapon skills that are used most.

Here's an example of what I mean.

Drg learns Double Thrust at 10 then Penta at 49. Everything in between sucks. Thf learns Viper Bite in the 30's and probably uses that until Dancing Edge.
                            I looked stuff up, and you're right lol, I rescind the gear/WS' comment, I thought that Jinpu came much earlier for SAM, but it looks like most DDs get their money WS's around 150. Then it really just comes down to Haubergeon, which is still lame. DRG not being able to wear it is stupid to me, and really there isn't something comparable until 70+, and those pieces aren't exactly easy to get your first time through.

Comment

I looked stuff up, and you're right lol, I rescind the gear/WS' comment, I thought that Jinpu came much earlier for SAM, but it looks like most DDs get their money WS's around 150. Then it really just comes down to Haubergeon, which is still lame. DRG not being able to wear it is stupid to me, and really there isn't something comparable until 70+, and those pieces aren't exactly easy to get your first time through.
                              The more you know! /rainbow

Although we can't wear Hauby, by that time we are fighting birds. We can make up for that loss of that one piece with the piercing bonus.
                              Thanks Kazuki.
                              Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X