Weapon Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon Choice

I recently hit 60 and already have GKL from way back when (I quit for 6 months). I come back now and see a Dark Mezraq (or some such). Which is better? without the GKL I have +41 ACC, does the evasion down proc that much?

TIA
    Kal'El

Re: Weapon Choice

I would say it's a tossup, really. On the one hand, you have a pretty reliable Accuracy rating with GKL, but at the same time, that Accuracy is only benefiting yourself. On the other hand, you have Dark Mezraq, and its corresponding HQ, with a higher base DMG rating and the occasional Evasion Down proc (in my experience, any weapon with an additional effect never really proc'd all that much, honestly, outside multi-attacking weapons), which in turn helps the rest of the party members out by helping thier Accuracy to a point.

It's up to you, I personally didn't have the option of D. Mezraq when I was comming up, so I had to go GKL, but for you, if you have enough Accuracy w/o it, I'd say go D. Mez.

Comment

GKL is what I would go with. +7 acc will always be there, the impairs evasion will only proc every so often. I am not sure since I have only tested the DM on em mobs, but it didn't fire off too much. If its anything like the Holy Lance (which never fired off on any exp mobs for me), then GKL is hands down the winner.
      Thanks Kazuki.
      Dragoon Equipment

Comment

If you have +41 ACC w/o GKL, with GKL you maybe able to use +attack food in exp. parties. If gil and space is not a concern, I would bring both weapon to the parties, switch depends on situation.
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
          If you have +41 ACC w/o GKL, with GKL you maybe able to use +attack food in exp. parties. If gil and space is not a concern, I would bring both weapon to the parties, switch depends on situation.
          Hehe I have tried using meat in pts, the tank didn't like it too much

I might just buy the DM and parse out which is better.

thanks all

Comment

I have a DM and I'm quite happy with it. Since I go /SAM, I have +20 acc naked (trait and hasso), going up over 50 with gear, so I don't really need more acc for myself; but DM's proc helps everyone else hit more too. At the same time its DMG is higher (even for the NQ).

The proc seems to go off pretty often too, I'd estimate in at least 1/2-2/3 of fights I get at least one proc, which usually lasts the whole fight or close to it. It doesn't seem to ever proc on jumps or WS, though (or maybe I just didn't notice?)

It's not the kind of question that can be simply settled by parsers, though; if you put a DM DRG and a GKL DRG in the same party, with the same level, race, subjob and gear, the GKL will hit more often, but that's because both are benefiting from DM procs (which is the whole point of the DM). Parsers can't tell exactly which hits would have been misses without the DM proc and therefore can't appropriately assign the damage from those hits to the DM user - so DM increases everyone else's damage just as much as it increases yours and will make you look worse in a naive interpretation of comparative parse results, even if your party's kill speed and exp/hr is improved.

Now that I have it, and like it so much, how long is it good for? Looks to me like the next definite improvement would be Gae Bolg, or if I don't get that, Colossal Lance. Am I missing something I should be looking at before then? 8-10 levels seems like an awfully long time to keep the same weapon. Cermet Lance is a slight step down in DMG, but does have about 5% lower delay... is that a worthwhile tradeoff?
            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
              Now that I have it, and like it so much, how long is it good for? Looks to me like the next definite improvement would be Gae Bolg, or if I don't get that, Colossal Lance. Am I missing something I should be looking at before then? 8-10 levels seems like an awfully long time to keep the same weapon. Cermet Lance is a slight step down in DMG, but does have about 5% lower delay... is that a worthwhile tradeoff?
              If you want to be a little different and have some time on your hands, you could try for the Narval.
              Its kind of a pain to get since the nm drops siren's hair.

I would definitely get the Gae Bolg though. I love mine. The fight was a blast and we also got the pop item for Tarasque and killed it for a few skins.
              Thanks Kazuki.
              Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Working...
              X