This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party vs All Other Sub Discussion.

I making this topic in response to the many arguments of Party correct vs "Gimped" subs. Accordingly im asking those who would like to perticapate in making suitable guide This fourms Job to post the PROS and CONS of EACH sub weither it be an appropiate sub or a non appropiate sub. Also please indcate which subs you would recommend for pting, perhaps in its own section in your post. If you would like to contribute more besides the job of this fourm please visit the other job fourms. after considerable information is recorded i will begin to make a guide for the site. Credit will go to the Users of FFXIO * taking down each name of a contributer would be tedius and in-effecient but i will work out an appropiate credting title*

The job guide would be added to ffxio database and added to the main page.

someone was attempting this for all jobs. here is their post here in the dragoon forum since I think it's the most directly releated:

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/sho...threadid=34949

I just wanted to make sure the suggestions we had there were added to the data being collected here.
    "You're like the air I take you into me. You're like the rain you remain within me deep..."

Comment

My opinion along with many other's are in there.
      Mobile 2400+ @11.5x200MHz, 1.7v| NF7-S 2.0 | 2x512 Corsair pc3200
      BFG FX6800 OC 128MB @350/700, 16x1,6vp | Antec True 430

Allakhazam Profile | ShirtNinjas Profile

Thanks to ShadowFlare for hosting my sig. FLaReTecH Forums

Comment

I'm only level 14 at the moment, so I'm a fair ways off from actually experiencing it, but...

I absolutely despise being some predictable, commonly-used job combination. I intend to give Dragoon/Red Mage a try. If doing this will hamper my ability to get into a party THAT much, then I would consider subbing in my Warrior levels, or get some in Samurai, loath as I am to do so.

I guess I'll just have to see.

Anyone else here like that when they first started off? Have you seen a lot of people like me who just end up caving in and becoming a DRG/WAR or DRG/SAM?

Comment

I think like half of the NA people that are coming in want to play DRG nowadays, so yeah, i think alot of people cave in.

Comment

Anyone else here like that when they first started off? Have you seen a lot of people like me who just end up caving in and becoming a DRG/WAR or DRG/SAM?
            I am a lot happier with my ability to be a meaningful part of a party as a DRG/WAR.

By the way, I set DRG/RDM once in a while to farm. The last time I did it (which may have been a few levels ago) I had 65 MP. 65 MP is useless and you will eliminate yourself from skillchains by having to rest in a party.

If you really want to party as DRG/RDM, you will want all the +DEX and +MP items you can get (and probably some +INT too). I think you will find that you are stretched so thin in so many areas that even if you can get into a party you will hate it. Of course, that is just my take. You might like it a lot.

**EDIT** I didn't realize until after I posted how old this topic was . I am assuming that now, more than ever, people are seeing the need to have a good subjob on a DRG.
            My Profile - Click, you like.

Comment

Subbing RDM without a mage main is niegh to useless. Your WHM spells come 2-5 lvls later, same with blm spells. You have the Lowest MP of all 4 mages (SMN > BLM > WHM > RDM). And subbing RDM wont even get you a "multipourpose" Wyvrn, if in not mistaken.

I'm a 62RDM, so trust me when i say this: "RDM isnt for subbing in exp pt, unless its under BLM."
              Alauna >> : yea.. what do TC majors do, anyways?
              >> Alauna : we are capable of doing lots of things, but aren't really experts in anything :-p
              Alauna >> : oh, so your a RDM?
              >> Alauna : yeah...

Comment

Re: Party vs All Other Sub Discussion.

Let me just say this since i am a lvl 61 DRG with all available subs for DRG ready available. Any mage job will activate wyvern healing breath. bottom line. and only these 3 jobs will be excepted in a party: THF, SAM, WAR and thats it.

Comment

Sub Decisions for Dragoon all depend on what role in the party you will be playing...

Warrior... when you will be a sata voke at beging of the battle or if you find your tank has trouble keeping hate.

Thief... if you will be the sata at lvl 60+ or you are hunting keys etc or just a plain dd also unless you are lvl 30-59 you will not need your thief sub maxed as long as you have sneak attack after lvl 60 you better have thief at 30 so that you can be delivering sata onto the tank.

Dark Knight... have found this subjob actually quite fun when you are not ment to be apart of sata. With limited mp your not able to cast as many of the spells that most dark's can but still the added bio and drain can come in use.

Paladin... Not a subjob I would ever take into an exp party. Yes added vitality looks great to some dragoons and with the addition of cure and protect some will be drawn to this as a subjob but you are far less effective in a party situation.

Bard... Tho I have never actaully subbed bard as a subjob I have been asked to sub it in a party. It was not an exp party but a Prime fight they had no red mage and wanted to use me as a refresher. I see no real use for this as a subjob

Black Mage... I know many who would never think of a Drg/Blm as a combo. I actually use this for farming the use of aga spells such as Firaga can really help you out to quicken the farming process.

Monk... never tried

Beastmaster... never tried

Ninja... never tried

Ranger... never tried, and no dragoon should ever think of this combo for the simple reason dragoons can only range pebbles so /em slap the shit outa <t> for even thinking of this sub

Red Mage... Never tried this sub altho I might want to

Samurai.... The benefit of this job would be the 100tp you can get everytime that ability is up. When paired with a samurai in sc you will be able to sc > mb to make fights become alot quicker.

White Mage... Altho thought of a solo subjob only I have tried this in a pt setting to see the benefits. I was mainly a dd but with the ability to pop off mob and help cure you basically become a feild medic in a party and once you get lvl 50 you can also raise. This combo altho with low mp can be used to pl a party in dunes.
                  [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

subs , many x______x
                    for party i've been as:
                    DRG/WAR (main, best sub. i've ever used)
                    DRG/THF
                    DRG/RDM (DRG party , 2 DRG/RDM main healing a party of melee and a BRD)[DRG/WHM can do the same]

as for Solo:
                    DRG/RDM (Solo hard mobs , mainly not for Exp but quests etc)
                    DRG/BRD (my friend not me , saw him soloing for Exp like there is no tomorrow)
                    DRG/NIN (my friend too , he is DRG75)

all of these subs worked well for me and my friends ^^

as for DRG/SAM, (wheeling thrust > Shark bite [Light] > Wheeling thrust [Light]) can work? if yes then DRG/SAM isn't bad.
                    it all depends on what the party needs , DoT or Spike SCs DMG.
                    Last edited by seq; 04-14-2006, 02:47 AM.

Dragoon
                    75 | Beastmaster75 | Thief69

Comment

Originally posted by seq
                      DRG/BRD (my friend not me , saw him soloing for Exp like there is no tomorrow)
                      I've taken DRG/BRD from 22 to 27 solo. It was very hectic and frightening at first (at least against EMs and Ts), but it's getting a lot more comfortable. Basically the more fast songs (Requiem, Threnodies, etc.) you have to trigger Healing Breath, the easier it gets. Now that I've got Spirit Link, I pretty much don't /heal. Ever.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
                        I've taken DRG/BRD from 22 to 27 solo. It was very hectic and frightening at first (at least against EMs and Ts), but it's getting a lot more comfortable. Basically the more fast songs (Requiem, Threnodies, etc.) you have to trigger Healing Breath, the easier it gets. Now that I've got Spirit Link, I pretty much don't /heal. Ever.
                        It looks like I'm going to have to give DRG/BRD a try some time in the future (obviously I can't at the moment since I'm not even 30 yet). I am a DRG lover from way back, but I've never gotten the chance to level it because everyone always wanted me to tank or heal for them. Not that I didn't love my PLD and WHM, but I always longed for purple armor and a flying companion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                          It looks like I'm going to have to give DRG/BRD a try some time in the future (obviously I can't at the moment since I'm not even 30 yet). I am a DRG lover from way back, but I've never gotten the chance to level it because everyone always wanted me to tank or heal for them. Not that I didn't love my PLD and WHM, but I always longed for purple armor and a flying companion.
                          20 is the absolute lowest level I would try DRG/BRD at all, so you have two fast songs (Light Threnody and Foe Requiem). I'll eventually move this elsewhere, but if you want to read up on it, I have a journal of my experiences going on Alla, with a link to the guide that got me into it.
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                          . . .

Comment

I'd probably DRG/WAR it to 20 anyway, since that's fast and easy going. But I'll definitely check your journal out!

Comment

Has anyone heard of/tried a DRG/MNK combo?

I really enjoy playing MNK when I do, but want to try out DRG someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X