Great Sword or Scythe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Sword or Scythe?

I am just starting back up again as WAR and I eventually want to get to DRK. I was going to start using one of the two weapons to start skilling up through to 30 so I have somewhere to start once I unlock DRK. Which is the best to go with? I've looked at them both up to about 20 and I can't really decide.

Thanks

Re: Great Sword or Scythe?

Don't be a gimp WAR, use a Great Axe. You can skill up both Scythe and GS with your WAR after you hit 30 if you really want a bit of a head start on DRK, but one way or another you're going to have to be leveling DRK and skilling up both weapons at once eventually.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Great Axe all the way on WAR for multiple reasons: To start it's a superior weapon for your time on WAR, so you won't be gimped for those 30 levels.

Secondly, in order to unlock DRK you will need to run around killing 100 mobs as a job that can use GSword(namely your WAR), this will provide you an opportunity to get a head start on skillups without using GSword in your WAR parties.

And finally, GAxe is also a very strong weapon at lower levels of DRK, before the distance between skill caps grows large and GSword and Scythe come into their own with decent weapon skills. Use GAxe to level WAR, then use WAR to skillup GSword/Scythe on your own time.

And use Shield Break.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Alright I'll do that, I didn't think it was that big of a gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveon View Post
          I am just starting back up again as WAR and I eventually want to get to DRK. I was going to start using one of the two weapons to start skilling up through to 30 so I have somewhere to start once I unlock DRK. Which is the best to go with? I've looked at them both up to about 20 and I can't really decide.

Thanks
          Originally posted by Callisto View Post
          Great Axe all the way on WAR for multiple reasons: To start it's a superior weapon for your time on WAR, so you won't be gimped for those 30 levels.

Secondly, in order to unlock DRK you will need to run around killing 100 mobs as a job that can use GSword(namely your WAR), this will provide you an opportunity to get a head start on skillups without using GSword in your WAR parties.

And finally, GAxe is also a very strong weapon at lower levels of DRK, before the distance between skill caps grows large and GSword and Scythe come into their own with decent weapon skills. Use GAxe to level WAR, then use WAR to skillup GSword/Scythe on your own time.

And use Shield Break.
          I'm only posting this because I didn't know any better at the time. Back when I was a low level warrior, I leveled Sword until I could afford a Great Sword, and then around level 40 realized I should've leveled Great Axe to replace G Sword. Funny thing is I ended up with Great Sword at about 112 and Great Axe is now 263ish I think on my 74 Warrior. Pretty much when I level DRK I will have Great Sword capped up until i think 42ish. If I had started out on Great Axe and Axe I would've been better off. However I was never turned down for any parties, but when somebody asked me to Dual Weild axes, that was when I realized I was gimped.

Anyways enough of "The Life and Times of a Warrior." Like Callisto said, level Great Axe on Warrior to 30 and do both Great Sword and Scythe on your own. After you complete the DRK quest, make sure you get the quested sword upgrade (Forget the name, either Deathbringer or Chaosbringer.) somebody brought to my attention the other day that sword has a high damage rating for its level. I didn't get that sword and leveled to 20 carrying low level Great Swords, Scythes, and Great Axes.

In the long run, if you feel that you liked Warrior and decide to take it to 75 later on, you won't be gimped and have to skillup on Great Axes from level 1.
          Last edited by Durahansolo; 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM.
          {New Sig in the works}
          -----------------------
          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
          "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
          Originally posted by Solymir
          What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Daveon View Post
            Alright I'll do that, I didn't think it was that big of a gimp.
            While things are somewhat different now with changes to how 2-handers work in terms of attack and accuracy, I can tell you from personal experience. Way back when I did WAR/RDM using a scythe around 20, and looking back, yes it was awful. I couldn't hit a thing for my life and when I did it wasn't especially damaging, and this was before I even knew of the wonders of A+ skills and Shield Break.
            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

As DRK you are going to want both weapons capped. Don't limit yourself to just one weapon on any job.

The most precious possession that ever comes To a man in this world
              Is a woman's heart.

Comment

I wasn't going to not lvl the other one, I just was wondering if I should start with a specific one. And thanks for stopping me before I made a giant mistake haha

Comment

Starting as a WAR, yes, level your GAxe. When you start as DRK, try to cap your scythe first, but don't leave your GSword behind for too long.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                  ------
                  Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                  When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Will Do, thanks for all the advice

Comment

Use GAX (it's good for DRK too) and for DRK use Both SCY and GDS. Don't gimp yourself as a DRK.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        Use GAX (it's good for DRK too) and for DRK use Both SCY and GDS. Don't gimp yourself as a DRK.
                        I'm a n00b goin for DRK... Why level both scyth and gsword?
                        23 whm, 15 blm, 9 war (I'll make a fancy shmancy sig later )

Comment

Not leveling both of your A ranked weapons is gimping yourself. There will be times when you are leveling where your options for one weapon will be clearly better than the other. Scythe weapon skills also kind of blow until the later levels and it is a lot harder to skill up from 0 to whatever than it is to just keep them both capped as you are leveling.

Bumping old posts is also a bad idea.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

and if they'd started a new thread asking the same question would you have said "Use the search function!"? Cut'em some slack the thread isn't even 3 months old and the question is related to the thread.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ty ty ty Pixie, you beat me to it! LOL

Yep illkurok, trust me as a fellow drk you'll be gimp if you don't. I thought "Oh shit I'm not doing that!" and got myself in a world of hurt in the later levels when parties wanted more variety from me and I didn't have it. Hell, that was WAY back in the day and now they even ask for Great Axe too sometimes! So make it your mission to level up both Scythe and Great Sword....it might be a pain but you will be SO glad you did. I didn't and had to skill my Great Sword up in the later levels and it was so freakin SLOW and a royal pain in the ass.
                              Originally posted by Feba
                              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                              Originally posted by DakAttack
                              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X