"Would you mind tanking?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Would you mind tanking?"

Who else has heard this when receiving party invites?

Re: "Would you mind tanking?"

Me, occasionally. Depending on my level (sub 20 for instance) I won't mind. Later on, I would, of course decline.

Comment

early lvls drk can tank fine, early being 1-25 possibly.

30+ drks really get shredded and after 50? the mess would just be fugly

Comment

DRK tank works fine until about 25, as noted before.

I know a 75DRK friend of mine had a merit PT where he and another DRK had to tank. The other DRK was decked out in plasteron and black crap. Yeah...

Comment

At lower levels, the majority of meele jobs can pass as okay tanks. I remember having the privledge of tanking on my Dragoon level 17-22. It won't be as near as effective if you had a Paladin or Ninja, but I guess sometimes you have work with what's avialable.

But, yeah, higher levels you might want to skip out on parties that think it's a good idea to have the mob hit you.

Comment

As of now, between the dunes through the jungles I have tanked as:

War
            Nin
            Thf
            Mnk
            Drk
            Sam

It also should be noted that I have pulled as:

War
            Nin
            Thf
            Mnk
            Drk
            Sam

My other jobs that I intend to lvl through the dunes - jungles phase of the game are Drg and Blu. Assuredly enough I know I will be asked to tank on both jobs and will do it to the of my abilities, which by now have gotten pretty damn good. >_>
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I bet Blus are getting that request a lot these days hmm? With all of their defense buffing abilities it probably isn't such a bad idea.

The first party I was ever in as a Thf in Valkurm had me as a main tank because my def topped a Mnks by a few points -_-; We later discovered that no one had given the Mnk protect.

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

I once had a pt on my thf in the dunes where my Def was higher then the wars and equal to the Pld. Despite being my first job to 19, and highest job at the time, I was pretty damn pimped in HQ armor (~.^)b
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Does this most melee jobs can tank exclude Taru? I've tanked in the dune before, it's what happens when the pld does'nt know what a tank is, and I die in a few hits, usally too quickly for the healer to heal me.

Comment

heh, I've had a Taru Sam tank from 17-20 in valkurm. He was pretty decked out though. Even if he wasn't main tank by choice, the mob would've been facing him the entire time.

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

Depends what you're fighting and what gear and food you have, etc. Most melees don't bring DEF food to the Dunes.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                      . . .

Comment

Tanked at level 43, but didn't take anything harder than a tough. The higher your go, the less likely you will be to do multiple jobs effectively without designated gear.
                        All spells obtained!
                        Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

As a side note, a solo DRK slaughtering ep-dc will get almost twice the xp a normal dune's party gets.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Hehe, haven't heard this since i was levling war, been main tanking since level 10

(Though if i got that sort of /tell for a party now i'd have to decline)

I will live, and die by the Sword

Comment

The only issue I have with melee tanking in the lower lvls is that some new players don't realize its only for those few lower lvls. You get into the higher lvls and they keep making pts where they want a drk or sam or other melee to tank. "I had a drk tank when I was lvl 20! So whats the difference at 30!?" oy!
                              Originally posted by Feba
                              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                              Originally posted by DakAttack
                              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X