This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dark Blue Knight?

I'm not entirely sure how it will work out of course, but I plan to try drk/blu next month.

I've seen some success with drk/whm in terms of soloing DC and that sort of thing, but obviously it wouldn't work with a party. I doubt /blu would work with a party either, but I'd like to discuss the possible pros and cons of solo and party play with a drk/blu.

I know we don't have all the info on how /blu will work. However, we can speculate using what we know about enemy abilities right now.

What learnable enemy spells do you think would give us what we need solo, and in a party?
    ~Zozor!

Re: A Dark Blue Knight?

as of yet, it looks like all the released Blue Magic is offensive in nature. And it looks like (as far as soloing is concerned) Dark Knight is already set in the attack department. I have a feeling drk/blu would end up a lot like soloing as drk/blm just nuking things to death. Which, if I had to guess (never tried it), would be less effective than just meleeing them. I do wonder, however, how effect DRG/BLU would be. I doubt it'll work out this way, but if the attacks are still rather effective while subbed, a DRG/WHM could use it to solo things with very high defense (or a physical-immune shadow lord :O). Oh well, we'll see.
    "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Well the footage so far may be misleading. In the videos, the blu was doing virtually all the damage. However, in the first blu demonstration, a cure spell was cast. This leads me to believe (although I could be wrong) that a blu can decide to equip more defensive or offensive spells, and that in the case of the demonstration offensive spells were used because the blu was the only attacker.

Double Post Edited:
      Also, I'd like to add that if we are allowed to learn the abilities from Leeches, that could add a new type of drain that we could alternate with the current Drain, and perhaps absorbs that stack.
      Last edited by Wiseman40; 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      ~Zozor!

Comment

I have my fingers crossed that the new abilites all jobs will be getting through merits will include a new drain for Drk, one thats ability based, not MP.

Comment

Originally posted by Murasame
          I have my fingers crossed that the new abilites all jobs will be getting through merits will include a new drain for Drk, one thats ability based, not MP.
          That would reniew my excitement in the Dark Knight. I believe that drk does need SOMETHING to balance the effects of souleater other than blood weapon.
          ~Zozor!

Comment

Just like anything else, the subjob would be too gimp ;3

With that said, it would be an interesting combo, nonetheless, but the purists out there will pin you to the cross and drag it all over Vana Town for you to be ridiculed, stoned and spit on.

Comment

Depends if the physical close range attacks utilize weapons. Sickle Slash + High DMG Scythe would probably be very nice.
              All spells obtained!
              Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

I started this thread in March, so I am wondering if anyone has tried the drk/blu combination yet.

I havn't found a single person on the Hades server that has /blu for any reason.

That doesn't mean they don't exist, but they're obviously rare.
                ~Zozor!

Comment

aside from cocoon, i don't know if BLU spells sub'd is all that hot. however, it seems BLU main is much more solo-able than DRK/blu; it's a really powerful job.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I actually tried Drk/Blu last night. I was a 17 Drk with decent gear and all my spells for both jobs. I had Pollen, Cocoon, Metal Body, Sandspin, W.Oats, and Sprout smack set as my Blu spells.

In my opinion, it sucked. Though the buffs and debuffs are nice, Cocoon wears off WAY too fast and Stoneskin drops after one hit from a DC mob. Pollen is nice as usual, and W.Oats was ok dmg and acc wise, but I still prefer the spells of Whm sub. With a similar cure, a longer lasting Def buff, straight up debuffs and -na spells, it just seems more useful to me. Plus you get more MP with Whm sub the Blu, and I found that more often then not my MP would go down fast. Having Cocoon and Metal Body are kinda counter productive when they cause you to rest MP every other fight.
                    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

since it appears that accuracy of physical type Blue magic is based off of equipped weapon's accuracy, it seems logical to be able to reap the benefits while subbed. I had my friend use 70 war/30ish blu and run around testing with a few different weapons. The results were... ok. Not incredible. I already forget how it turned out exactly, but it seems like Bludgeon would give similar results regardless of what he equipped. I was hoping there'd be a correlation for the base DMG of equipped weapon but they'd turn out the same regardless. The one he did with Flame sword (level 19 or whatever) was actually like 3 points higher than the damage with his <insert that 50-something sword with attack +14 on it here>. I attribute this to the random value of damage. His Greataxe actually did the most damage of any of the tests, but by so few points that it seemed like it had nothing to do with the base DMG.

I dunno what to make of it. Maybe Drk/blu with the heavy DMG of scythes would be excellent with Bludgeon and whatnot... but I honestly don't know. I was rather saddened about this scant testing. I'd love to see other people's testing and I hope someone finds some different results.

My thinking is that if you could find something in /blu that increases the damage by output of a DRK main at all (whether or not /war is better, if it gives anything for damage) then this could be the 2-hander's alternative to /nin. I.e. nin gives an offensive boost to jobs that are good with one-handers (thf, war) and of course, the ultimate defense boost (shadows). /Blu would have cacoon and metallic body, as well as a scant few self-heals.

So someone, please find something offensive in this combo.
                      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                      X