Was DNC a bad choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was DNC a bad choice?

Ever since I returned to FFXI, I've fallen in love with DNC. Out of all the jobs I've played, DNC was actually fun to level. However, now that I'm lvl 55, I've been told by multiple people that I'm going to regret it in end-game. Now, to be fair, I'm not too fond of the endgame scene. I mean, I'll of course do it, but it won't be the only thing I do ever. I'm more into helping people with quests, missions, and whatnot.

Is DNC really that bad at endgame? What are your thoughts?

Re: Was DNC a bad choice?

Originally posted by Dopples View Post
    I'm more into helping people with quests, missions, and whatnot.
    Don't worry about endgame then.

Also, there's like 19 other jobs you can level if it turns out you need to do end-game but are struggling as DNC. I'm not much into the end-game scene myself, but I don't see how a LS would be against having a DNC fill a spot. "No, don't heal my party members without using MP. It's heresy."
    Last edited by Ameroth; 08-11-2008, 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I can't really say much on the endgame stuff since I don't participate in it yet. If you enjoy the job though why quit? It is a great support job and has some real lasting power with the right sub jobs. Since you can heal while killing mobs it could be a very useful job to help other players out with. End game isn't everything contrary to some players perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
        Don't worry about endgame then.

Also, there's like 19 other jobs you can level if it turns out you need to do end-game and are struggling. I'm not much into the end-game scene myself, but I don't see how a LS would be against having a DNC fill a spot. "No, don't heal my party members without using MP. It's heresy."

Sad thing is, that's what I've been told actually. I dunno, maybe Sylph is full of dumb people. They'd much rather have Refresh whores, or a PLD, or w/e.

Comment

Personally, I would just play the job I enjoy how I want to, and wait until end-game and experience it myself before giving up based on anecdotal evidence.

But it's your call in the end. If it's really a concern for you, stop and just level another job you think people want you to play... I guess.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
          ------
          Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
          When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Just try it, and see how it works.

Of course, people might prefer to use the alliance-spots for more suited jobs, but the truth is you're not always in that optimal setup. You won't always have madly geared people to fill in all the slots.

I'm at 65 now, and I'm going to try things out personally at least once. Thing is, I have my BRD at 68, so most likely I will be doing most things on BRD.

But my personal goal for DNC is to use it as my soloing job. I love the job, but for now I'm thinking there's just not much it can offer for Sky-gods (Sky and Dynamis are the only activities I'm in currently), at least when the other option is that I'll come as BRD. ;;

I'll try it, nevertheless, and deep down I'm hoping to see that my assumptions are wrong.

Let's hope DNC-merits bring some neat stuff to use in endgame. ^^
            The road remains wide open while your dreams are alive. Only fear can block the way.

zitah.nu

Comment

In my old ls, we hardly ever used dnc for end game events. Several people leveled it but rarely got to use it. If they did, it was more the "Ya ok you can come dnc because we have enough people to do this without your help." kind of attitude. If someone did come dnc they were put in an outside ally for healing or in the melee party for healing.
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

It's because DNC doesn't have a big selection of endgame gear on top the fact that there are quite a few bosses that you don't want to TP on, thus nullifying DNC's use.

It depends on what you decide to do. HNMs/Sky, yeah DNC will probably suck most of the time. But you should be just fine for events like Einherjar, Salvage and Limbus.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

DNC's problem at endgame is for things you don't want people TPing on, you've basically stripped down DNC to useless. People are also rather stubborn and want X job for this and Y job for that. DNC really only seems welcomed in Dynamis and Limbus, but not much elsewhere.

Doesn't help that two of DNC's Steps are capable of being used by any job that can sub it and that Curing Waltz II can be sufficient healing in those cases.

The lack of endgame gear is more of a minor issue, but it is kinda annoying how very little there is of it.

SE does need to give DNC some tweaks in regards to endgame, but I think its going to be a long while before we ever see them

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                    SE does need to give DNC some tweaks in regards to endgame, but I think its going to be a long while before we ever see them
                    It would be nice (but possibly make the job broken) if SE gave DNC's some sort of native meditate/TP regen.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm still on the fence about finishing the job to 75, but then, I dunno what else I really want to take to 75 on my mithra.

Comment

If you're not fond of endgame, then I'd not worry much about endgame.

Take Dancer to 75, try it out there if you like, but if you find it isn't much called for by groups, don't let that discourage you in the least. I'm not even going to *do* endgame on any of my characters. I don't enjoy that kind of thing, and the one thing I told myself when I came back to XI this past time was I would absolutely not do anything that made me annoyed at the game.

I've been soloing in Campaign at my own pace, which I infinitely prefer to party. I've helped old friends with some things, and done quite a bit of straight exploring, all of which are much more important and enjoyable to me.

The key to this game is finding the job you love, and doing the things you like best, not what everyone 'expects', i.e. Endgame. Some people just never do it.
                        "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

My DNC gets no love in Endgame and to be honest it is not to strong even on mobs where it can TP. It needs alot of ACC to have a hope of hitting a mob for any real damage, having steps land, and getting effects of samabs.

I kind of regret taking it to 75 over the last couple of months to be honest. I really wish I would have taken the time I spent on it taking my SAM up or perhaps my RNG. Oh well in 2 weeks it won't matter my FFXI life is over.

sig courtesy tgm
                          retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            Doesn't help that two of DNC's Steps are capable of being used by any job that can sub it and that Curing Waltz II can be sufficient healing in those cases.
                            Didn't S-E boost those abilities when used by main-job Dancer, though, in the March update?
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

IMHO, the Samba are fine, but the Steps /recast timer and duration has some issue: in practice it is either level 1 or level 5. For example, if Box Step level 3 is applied on a mob, you can either make it to level 4, or let it wear off and start over again. With 15 seconds per one type of step, in a short fight (like high level exp ~ merit parties) it is not economical and time is pressing; in a long fight (like NM), the upkeep to maintain step is high.

I still believe it does not make sense for a TP-heavy driven job like DNC does not have rank A skill for weapon.... TP gain is the core and the method of TP gain is handicapped.
                              Server: Quetzalcoatl
                              Race: Hume Rank 7
                              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Working...
                              X