TP: Save it or Blow it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP: Save it or Blow it?

I noticed in PT that Dancer's are conserving TP like it was gold, but that they're always sitting at 200+ TP and never seem to use it. It seems, to me, as rather wasteful to leave that 200 TP sitting there unused.

Therefore, in my poll question, I am hoping to get a response on how a DNC should use their TP. Should a DNC conserve 100 and blow it like a regular melee DD or should they keep it topped out and never WS (thus significantly decreasing their damage).

Remember, Dancer gets the good Dagger WSs that THF gets.
    WS at 100% Consistently, but use dances as often as possible.
    39.39%
    Don't WS! Store TP just in case!
    60.61%

The poll is expired.

Re: TP: Save it or Blow it?

i don't see really no point in WS till you get dancing edge, but when you can use that WS use it if you are sure you wont need that TP and can build it back before you need it
    "Death shall seek you out, If death fails, I promise you, i wont." ~ Srxjo (me)
    "My lips are stained scarlet red from my blood" ~Srxjo (me)
    "The greatest pain in this world is losing that which is closest to ones own heart" ~Srxjo (me)

Comment

If bad comes to worse you may have to spam curing waltz as far as I know.

It's not a bad idea to WS in lower levels since dances don't use up entirely too much TP but caution is still a good thing~

Just my 2 gil.

Comment

considering it takes 1 round of H2H if both connect to get 13 TP so you can cast drain samba one and 2 rounds to enable curing waltz downtime after using a weapon skill is nothing.

however if you are main heal then TP is better kept to keep aprty alive.

Comment

Well, it's always good to be cautious abuot it, but if you have it ready and you know it'll help the pt, why not? Dancer is a melee job, not a mage job and I don't believe it was meant to be main healer. If you're in a good pt, I don't see anything wrong with throwing out a WS when needed.

Comment

I'd say it depends entirely on the party and the situation (after DE, before that I'd save the TP). You'd want to stay on your toes if you're main healing though.

Learn to adapt, and your intuition will do the rest and solve questions like this for you. Like with every job, after you've played them long enough.
            The road remains wide open while your dreams are alive. Only fear can block the way.

zitah.nu

Comment

Seeing as TP is the heart of all Dancer's abilties, it seems detrimental to the performance of the dancer and the the party for the DNC to focus on damage dealing with weaponskills. If I saw a DNC pop one WS in the PT and they were the main healer, I'd likely be inclined to start looking for a replacement healer right away. Its bad enough some DNCs think they can tank with just Utsu: Ichi to back them.

This is a healing/enfeebling class, it is not a true melee job in the slightest. Until you have the means to pull TP out of the air with something like Reverse Flourish and/or Meditate, I don't think its adviseable to put any focus on weaponskills.

Comment

Dagger WS suck ass anyway unless you're a THF...
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  Dagger WS suck ass anyway unless you're a THF...
                  In my Dec. 3rd party with with a Dancer (Narelus; should be near Lv.66), s/he was getting 409.07 average (High/Low: 566/198) on Dancing Edge. Also had a Thief (Teechi) in party, and s/he was getting 468.92 average (High/Low: 723/205) on WS.

Had the parser log saved, so the numbers are not pulled out of the air or any "heard from a friend" type of nonsense.

Jaw dropping? Perhaps not. Useful? I'd think so, at least situationally. Certainly better WS damage than my mostly turtling PLD66's Swift Blade (209.74; 429/26).
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

If you have 5 Finishing Moves stored up, then WS is acceptable 60+. Otherwise Cyclone and every other lower WS seems wasted. I'd rather throw a Curing Waltz 3 out.

Comment

So basically what you're saying is:

"If you're a DNC Main Healer, don't WS."
                      "If you're a DNC Backup Healer and you're 60+, you can WS."

Which is sort of the direction I was going. Before {Dancing Edge} there's nothing really spectacular besides a 200% {Cyclone} which you can't use if you're in proximity to other mobs.

Comment

I think its just important to keep in mind why a job is invited to PTs. Just because you're a support or healer type class that can melee doesn't mean DD suddenly becomes a priority for you. I know this all too well from COR that sometimes my DD capability just isn't needed and that I should find other functions to attend to in the PT.

Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should, something some RDMs have a hard time accepting.
                        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should, something some RDMs have a hard time accepting.
                          Man, you just could NOT resist throwing that in there, could you?

Well then, I feel perfectly justified, as a RDM, in saying: "Just because I can main heal doesn't always mean I should, something the rest of the community has a hard time accepting."

Comment

Could we not derail this please?
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

So...anyways...I'm 16 DNC/MNK right now, and, call me crazy but even with a whm main healing, in the Dunes I've saved the party at least a couple of times right now. I don't plan to ws unless I'm duo'ing with my BLU/WAR bf or the party is killing stuff too easy. I don't feel comfortable not having at least 150 tp to use for healing as necessary. I can only see me having to use Curing Waltz and other things a lot more often until I learn a good balance of what certain party types need/do together so, for now, I'm a TP hog ^^.

I also use H2H and I plan on checking out /SAM after a while to see if that changes my thinking.
                              sigpic
                              This is Jazz. Jazz is mine. He 50% awesome combined with 50% win. That makes him 100% full of vitamins Awesome and Win.

Comment

Working...
                              X