BLU and CoP Spells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLU and CoP Spells

So, BLU is going to be my first 90 on this new character. Things have been going well, and though I was a bit worried about Galka MP at first, it really hasn't been an issue (though transitioning from a Tarutaru mindset to a Galka one has been interesting).

My concern is Chains of Promathia. Obviously, no one really does this stuff anymore. So that's an issue. On the other hand, when one is 90, or even close to that, tearing through the missions isn't a big deal. So I had hoped to hold off on doing this until later. Even if I have to recruit a few friends, I wouldn't have to be carried through the missions if I do it that way (and honestly, I really would prefer to participate.)

But! Spells. I thought I was fine until 72, when the Sea spells come up, but it turns out I was still thinking of things in terms of Murphie, who was halfway through the storyline, and thus had access to all of the pre-Sea areas.

So my question is, which of the below spells are going to hold me up by not having them (if any)?

Awful Eye - Lufaise.
    Jettatura - Riverne.
    Refueling - Lufaise, or in Halvung. (I think I may be able to manage this one with friends, because seriously, Haste.)
    Radiant Breath - Riverne, or if I can get assistance, Ifrit's Cauldron.
    Dissserverment - Al'Taieu.
    Saliine Coat - Al'Taieu.
    Temporal Shift - Al'Taieu.
    Actinic Burst -Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi.
    Reactor Cool - Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi.
    Plasma Charge - Al"Taieu.
    Vertical Cleave - Al'Taieu or Hu'Xzoi.
    Fantod - Riverne.

I'm mostly referring to obtaining them at or around the level that I can equip them. Can I just go back and get them later, or is my performance going to be severely stunted by not having them? Ideally, of course, I'd get them. I'd prefer to. And if I get the chance to, I will. But just in case I have to wait until later, I needed to know what is going to affect me the most.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
    Last edited by Murphie; 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: repurposing

Re: BLU and CoP Spells

Lufaise is easy to get, so is Riverne. Basically you just have to say when.

As for the rest, I doubt that you 'need' the Sea spells until you're approaching 75 anyway.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I just don't want to make anyone carry me through. I know how easy it'd be to get Lufaise and Riverne. If a couple of people (or one person, honestly, I don't even know) are willing to run me through, I'm sure I can repay the favor in some way later.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
        I just don't want to make anyone carry me through. I know how easy it'd be to get Lufaise and Riverne. If a couple of people (or one people, honestly, I don't even know) are willing to run me through, I'm sure I can repay the favor in some way later.
        I'm always up for making someone indebted to me.

Also for killing things, always up for killing things.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's amusing to think of Applejack saying those things. Especially with that pose.

Comment

Applejack: With Karate chop action.

loose

Comment

So, BLU is going to be my first 90 on this new character. Things have been going well, and though I was a bit worried about Galka MP at first, it really hasn't been an issue (though transitioning from a Tarutaru mindset to a Galka one has been interesting).

My concern is Chains of Promathia. Obviously, no one really does this stuff anymore. So that's an issue. On the other hand, when one is 90, or even close to that, tearing through the missions isn't a big deal. So I had hoped to hold off on doing this until later. Even if I have to recruit a few friends, I wouldn't have to be carried through the missions if I do it that way (and honestly, I really would prefer to participate.)

But! Spells. I thought I was fine until 72, when the Sea spells come up, but it turns out I was still thinking of things in terms of Murphie, who was halfway through the storyline, and thus had access to all of the pre-Sea areas.

So my question is, which of the below spells are going to hold me up by not having them (if any)?

Awful Eye - Lufaise.
              Jettatura - Riverne.
              Refueling - Lufaise, or in Halvung. (I think I may be able to manage this one with friends, because seriously, Haste.)
              Radiant Breath - Riverne, or if I can get assistance, Ifrit's Cauldron.
              Dissserverment - Al'Taieu.
              Saliine Coat - Al'Taieu.
              Temporal Shift - Al'Taieu.
              Actinic Burst -Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi.
              Reactor Cool - Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi.
              Plasma Charge - Al"Taieu.
              Vertical Cleave - Al'Taieu or Hu'Xzoi.
              Fantod - Riverne.

I'm mostly referring to obtaining them at or around the level that I can equip them. Can I just go back and get them later, or is my performance going to be severely stunted by not having them? Ideally, of course, I'd get them. I'd prefer to. And if I get the chance to, I will. But just in case I have to wait until later, I needed to know what is going to affect me the most.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
              As a career BLU, I can tell you that the following spells I HIGHLY recommend:
              Refueling: Good haste spell and will cover you for a LONG time.
              Disseverment: It's awesome damage plus the poison DoT, it will be your best DD spell until Goblin Rush and Quadratic Continuum
              Actinic Burst: Great for grabbing hate, or just blinding stuff, plus it helps trigger Auto-Refresh with...
              Plasma Charge: Good Shock Spikes spell, has good buffs, and is the second trigger spell for Auto-Refresh

You are gonna want to get them either right before, or right when you are at the level to equip them, since they will help you with your DD output, as well as to trigger Auto-Refresh. Remember to have your Blue Magic skill capped to help with learning the spells too ^^b
              Originally posted by Van Wilder
              Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
              Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
              I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

So the rest I can worry less about, though clearly I'm going to want to get Al'Taieu access around the time I need to learn those spells?

Note: I am, of course, going to get all of these spells at some point.

Comment

So the rest I can worry less about, though clearly I'm going to want to get Al'Taieu access around the time I need to learn those spells?

Note: I am, of course, going to get all of these spells at some point.

Yeah, dont worry too much about the rest. The ones I mentioned either are trigger spells for certain traits (Actinic Burst, Plasma Charge), good DD spells (Disseverment), or just carry good buffs (Plasma Charge gives +3 Dex and Str which are the primary mods for DD spells).
                  Originally posted by Van Wilder
                  Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                  Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                  I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

It might not matter much if you get a good aby party and blow through the levels in one shot. Monday I got my Blu 72-90 in several hours, so now I just need to cap my blu skills (pretty close to cap now) and go get em. Even with just a few "good" spells, with the right atmas Blu can solo most mobs in aby, that place is so broken.

Comment

Your chance of learning a BLU spell is much higher when you are way over the level at which you can use it. If blowing through levels is an option for you, go ahead and do it.
                      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Refueling took me a while to learn, those damn bombs don't use it often, they'd rather just blow themselves up... Refueling is definitely a necessity though...
                        75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                        RANK 10 Bastok
                        CoP: Done
                        ZM: Done
                        ToA: Done
                        Assault rank: Captain
                        Campaign Medal: Medals
                        Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                        This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                          Your chance of learning a BLU spell is much higher when you are way over the level at which you can use it. If blowing through levels is an option for you, go ahead and do it.
                          That's kind of why I was asking. There are a lot of spells to learn, but as long as I focus on the important and/or useful ones (either because they are actually useful spells or provide a useful stat boost, or help make a useful trait), then I'm cool.

Though at this point I do have every single spell I can learn.

Comment

Ok, so I'm bumping this because I don't really need a new thread.

Trying to figure out what waist piece I should be using on my 53 BLU. I haven't gotten a swift belt to drop yet, and besides, I only have Refueling at the moment, so at best that would only give me 14% haste.

My options:

Swordbelt +1 (ATK+12)
                            Headlong Belt (ATK+5 Haste 3%)
                            Life Belt (ACC +10)

I'd like to pick up a Desert Belt (HP+20, STR+2, AGI+3, INT-5) for physical spells but there aren't any on the AH right now.

I should note that I'm a Galka. I don't really cast any magical spells unless I'm like, bursting. A fair amount of my damage is melee.

Suggestions?

I'm going to set up a FFXI AH account and get some gear sets working.

Comment

If you have any issues hitting T+ mobs:

Life > Headlong > Sword

And without sword merits you should probably save Headlong for mass murdering weaker DC mobs and lower.

PS > With Sword for WS macro while fighting said weaker mobs.
                              sigpic
                              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X