Where should i put my focus in stats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should i put my focus in stats?

I'm a lvl 23 Blue Mage and while playing, I really haven't seen a clear cut guide or someone saying where i should place my emphisis in stats/armor. I ask this because this is a mage job and we revolve around mana. That being said I should want more mp and int (I'm hume) and i myself personaly have wanted more mp to cast more spells. I mean sure spells give certain stats but I really be focusing in other stats other than str, int, and mp? And how do other stats effect Blu spells?
    "Oooo oooo, Mr. GM, that guys fishes a lot.
    Oooo oooo, Mr. GM, that guy camps the guilds all the time.
    You know what?
    Shut the hell up."

Re: Where should i put my focus in stats?

For the most part, especially in the low levels, you'll actually be wanting to place more of a focus on improving your melee and physical spell development, as that is the basis of all of a Blue Mage's early development (evidenced by the fact that Blue Magic accuracy is based on your Accuracy and Main Hand weapon's skill levels, in this case, Sword). Later in the game, when you've gained access to more gear and spells, you may experiment with other builds, but in the beginning, your role is rather limited.

The name Blue Mage in this case can be a bit misleading, but eventually the job rounds out in both the physical and magical departments.

Comment

You'll primarily be focused on accuracy for your physical spells and melee attacks. I wouldn't neglect attack, but you shouldn't go all out for it either since it only affects your sword damage and not spells.

Generally speaking, adding STR will help with most of your physical spells. However, they all have their own unique modifiers (some of which are STR ^^b) and boosting them does have a rather noticeable effect.

For example, Bludgeon is 30% CHR. So, if you macro'd in CHR gear when you cast the spell, you'd definately see a boost to it's damage.

The problem is it can get expensive since you'll need different stats for different spells. This is probably why most BLU I see focus primarily on +STR gear.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

but wouldn't you need to focus on + int gear too for magical spells?
        You know what?
        Shut the hell up."

Comment

for some yes, but the majority of offensive spells for BLU just don't match up to the physical ones (the damage dealing ones I mean, not the debuffs)
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

i know str affects physical blue spells but does + attack like beetle earing do anything to enhance the spell?
            You know what?
            Shut the hell up."

Comment

Nope. Attack has absolutely nothing to do with a physical spell's damage. STR, Accuracy, Skill with the main hand-equipped weapon, skill in Blue Magic, and secondary modifiers are the only things a Blue Mage need concern themself with in the case if physical Blue Magic.

And as far as INT for magical spells are concerned: Don't bother until the (much) higher levels. The average damage-to-mp ratio for magical Blue Magic don't make it worth it until the later (read: 60-75) levels, and even then, it's isn't even much about INT anymore as the secondary mods for the spell have more relevance (lots of Blue Magic actually relies on MND more than anything, with a few CHA-powered spells tossed in). While INT can help with resist rates, in the end, it won't be as much of an overwhelming force for magical Blue Magic as it is for Black and Red Mages and their offensive magics.

Blue Mage isn't like other XYZ Mage jobs in the fact that its spell power isn't derived from one source, but many (including many non-traditionally "mage" sources, such as a high Strength, Defense, or Vitality scores, for instance). To play Blue Mage in its most effective form, one must essentially "think outside the box" of what a mage job is like. Or any job, for that matter.

Comment

thanks guys this helped a lot!
                You know what?
                Shut the hell up."

Comment

The sad part about magical spells on BLU is that even with a very heavy magical spell build (elemental staves, Magic Atk. Bonus gear, INT/MND/CHR gear depending on the spell, BLM or RDM sub), your damage still tends to fall short of what you'd be doing on the same mob with just a decent physical spell build (STR, DEX, Accuracy, Attack, NIN or THF sub). Especially considering how much MP you have to burn to cast spells that will do any real damage. Our magical spells just aren't up to par, sadly. :/

Rank 10 All Nations
                  Zilart/CoP/ToAU Complete
                  Assault Rank: Captain
                  Campaign Rank: Wings of Honor ∮∮∮∮
                  Unique Quests complete: 465
                  Maps Obtained: 79/79

Comment

Working...
                  X