Your stats & how they affect offensive spellcasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your stats & how they affect offensive spellcasting

So I ran many, many tests as a lvl 27 Blu, and then as subbed to 75 Blm For Magic Attack & elemental staff tests to determine what stats raise the damage of blue magic. (Keepin mind these tests were for offensive, damaging spells only.) Tests were done on the bees & worms just outside Bastoks gate in South Gustaberg.

Physical type Blue magic apparently falls into two categories; ranged (ex. Feather Storm) & melee (ex. Bludgeon)
    Melee-Physical magics damage is boosted solely by Str. Attack power does absolutely nothing.
    Ranged-Physical magics damage is boosted by both Str & Agi, moreso by Agi.
    Another interesting find for the ranged-type is that thier accuracy/damage is affected by how far you are from the mob. When I discovered this, I did 6 casts of Feather Storm at max casting range & all hit for 240 damage. I then did 6 casts at point-blank range & 5 hit for 292 with one miss.
    Accuracy for both is determined by your accuracy with the weapon in your main hand. (That includes the ranged-type so dont be getting +Ranged accuracy gears. Regular +accuracy does the job for both)

Magical type Blu magics apparently fall into 2 categories as well; normal casted magic (Ex. Bomb Toss) & breath (Ex. Poison Breath), although i cant 100% verify this as I currently have only 1 breath attack.
    Magical type Blue magics run just the same as a black mages magics. Int boosts damage cap & are all affected by magical attack bonus (Moldavite earring) and yes, the elemental staves.
    Breath-type magical blue spells damage, however, is boosted by Chr & not Int. Like I mentioned, I only have one breath attack (Poison Breath), but yes, the only base stat that raised its damage was charisma.

Accuracy seems solely determined by Blue Magic skill, which is speculation at this point due to currently non-existent +Blue Magic Skill gears. At 51, the elemental staves will aid your accuracy with this type just the same as they aid black magic. Your sword skill & accuracy, however, has no bearing on the 'magical' type of blue magic.

No tests were done on defensive spells, cures, non-damaging spells (sleeps) or Blood-Drain (except to see if Pluto's Staff increased drain power-- it does)

Hope this helps you other aspiring Blu mages

Re: Your stats & how they affect offensive spellcasting

Good info! Thanks
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I knew all that +CHR was doing something right when my Poison Breath was hitting for such massive damage.

Thanks for the major information. It'll defintely help while soloing.
      All spells obtained!
      Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

Hmm - I think it may be premature to say that attack does nothing. As a 27 blu testing on level 1 targets, you were very likely over the cap for the effect of attack anyway. Would you mind retesting on EP-DCs? (You might have to wait until 30 when you can get more attack from Berserk to see the difference, since there isn't much +attack gear at that level and attack foods generally have +str which would confuse the issue.)

The other information is good, though. (Except for the BLUs... four stats, ow.)

Was poison breath affected by moldavite (or other MAB stuff) and elemental staff?
        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
        RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

I'm level 28...I possess no +INT, no moldovite, and no elemental staves. A steady amount of 60-70 damage against ITs when unresisted is good though.
          All spells obtained!

Comment

Had damage filter out on my chat log, but BLU damage is probably on par with melee versus BLM (magical) Last night fighting raptors, 2x BLU was spamming away on the raptor at 1% HP left and damage seemed to be resisted a lot. Then I look at the start of battle and the same thing. Only the per damage melee was doing anything consistent. We didn't have a BLM, but I suspect cutting one of the BLUs out of the picture in favor of a BLM would actually have sped things along without this incredibly long downtime after each chain...

You BLUs are MP hogs, I tell you. It's not uncommon to find them expending almost 500 MP away on just 2/3 of a fight. WTF? Even 6mp/tick isn't enough ... whoah.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
              Hmm - I think it may be premature to say that attack does nothing. As a 27 blu testing on level 1 targets, you were very likely over the cap for the effect of attack anyway. Would you mind retesting on EP-DCs? (You might have to wait until 30 when you can get more attack from Berserk to see the difference, since there isn't much +attack gear at that level and attack foods generally have +str which would confuse the issue.)

The other information is good, though. (Except for the BLUs... four stats, ow.)

Was poison breath affected by moldavite (or other MAB stuff) and elemental staff?
              Your argument has merit on the 'too weak - -', being that as attack is, it wouldnt raise damage when you are hittin cap every time, even though I did test +45 attack on those too weaks lol. However, while xp'n on toughs & Very tough's With a PL friend so as not to get self killed, switching through sushi, dumplings, kabobs, & cakes, I was able to see the average damage of my sword hits rise with the +attack foods, but noticed no such change with blu magics. As such I remain convinced that attack power does nothing whatsoever for blue magics.

Yes, Poison Breath was affected by Water/Fire staves (Fire negatively of course ^^) & Moldavite.

Comment

Nice information. I was wondering if CHR did anything for us since we get alot of +CHR on spells. I have also noted that ATT means squat to our spells too.

Comment

wow lol BLU is so kool
                  I Can And I Will MPK You!

Comment

thanks for the info, had a member of a PT last night, who said he wqa sa level 50 BLU -.- tell me CHR effected all spells, and I told him no, reading what you ahve said here, and he said that I was wrong lol, but I disproved him by switching to all CH stuff and it doing nothing :p
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Okay I run a BLU giude on my LS website and heres some info that I think will give you guys an honest read. I have just copied and pasted as I wrote it, So... it may or may not have wierd details....

Important NEWS UPDATE** Testing has begun and my idea that CHR affects Magical accuracy seems to be correct. Here was a test a BLU did.

From what I've seen CHR affects the potencey of blue magic overall. I've tested on a few different mobs too.

Silence for instance will not harm a mob.

(Chaotic Eye) CHR gear on:

Ancient Bat - 41/50

Seeker Bats - 45/50

Worms in K-Tunnel - 47/50

Goblin Gambler - 42/50

Goblin Reaper - 43/50

(Chaotic Eye) INT gear on:

Ancient Bat - 15/50

Seeker Bats - 21/50

Worms in K-Tunnel - 25/50

Goblin Gambler - 12/50

Goblin Reaper - 8/50

I just used random mobs, but that is the numbers I pulled. I tried with other spells too, and the numbers were close to the same.

(Chaotic Eye) MND gear on:

Ancient Bat - 20/50

Seeker Bats - 21/50

Worms in K-Tunnel - 17/50

Goblin Gambler - 16/50

Goblin Reaper - 12/50

---
                      Important NEWS UPDATE**
                      After much experimentation in Experience Points parties and with additional help from a 75 bard fighting IT Crabs in Boyahda Tree, I've drawn several conclusions that I believe may help guide other Blue Mages to figuring out what kind of equipment they should focus on.

I believe that +CHR does have an impact on our Spell Accuracy, some spells more than others. Data suggests that +CHR does not improve Accuracy tremendously on Geist Wall or Sound Blast, but does so for MP Drainkiss.

Many will agree +CHR is a Light Based Characterstic. Take a look at the +CHR Rings, they give an additional Light resistance. MP Drainkiss is a Dark Type move. Do opposite stats boost Accuracy in their reciprocal spells? Quite Possibly.

In experience points parties, using little to no +CHR gear, I do not land MP Drain Kiss very well. Crabs resist it all too well and I usually un-set MP Drainkiss to make room for other, more reliable spells. Upon testing +CHR in Boyahda however, I believe that there is some hope for MP Drainkiss.

Accuracy of MP Drainkiss in EXP parties = Very Low, 10-15%

MP Drainkiss vs IT Robber Crab
                      In Boyahda, +5 CHR +ACC Gear = 2/9 ~~~ 22% Accuracy

In Boyahda, +45-60 CHR +Club = 9/13 ~~~ 69% Accuracy

In Boyahda, +40-45 CHR +Sword = 8/10 ~~~ 80% Accuracy

As for Sound Blast, I have data suggesting +CHR impacts the accuracy slightly, but having a main weapon of a sword vs an underleveled club has a little better affect on it.

Sound Blast (Vs IT Robber Crab Boyahda)

Club, +45-60 CHR ==== 23/40 ~~~ 58% Accuracy

Sword, +5 CHR ==== 17/25 ~~~ 68% Accuracy

Sword, +40-45 CHR ==== 21/29 ~~~ 72% Accuracy

Sound Blast is a "Purple Move," meaning it's probably tied in to DEX or Lightning (or possibly INT?), and has an Opposite Attribute of Earth? Or Vitality. I'm not too sure on that. Maybe by boosting Vitality it might improve Sound Blast's Accuracy.

A topic for discussion might be the possibility of boosting these "Anti-stats" might improve accuracy (Since boosting CHR, a light stat, helped MP Drainkiss, a dark move) with BLU spells.

Of course many of you will argue "More numbers! More sets! More data! You didn't test it enough!" And while I do agree, it's hard for me to sit still in Boyahda Tree for hours on end trying multiple theories

I've come to a self conclusion that +CHR helps certain spells, if not all, in landing. And that it does slightly improve all spells in general. It seems that wielding a weapon with a high accuracy rating seems to help BLU Magic Landing, Physical or Magical, and I think that all Blue Mages should focus on acquiring a healthy supply of +ACC gear to land their spells, +CHR to land their debuffs/drains, +INT for nuking, +MND for healing, +STR for physical spells, and +AGL for ranged nukes.

Start upgrading those Gobbiebags

Comment

A job well done Gagnome, I've been wondering why full INT gear + Pluto's staff makes me MP Drainkiss 8 mp from IT crabs. At the same time a very bothersome result, yet another set of rings I need to get >.<

Red + Blue = Purple Mage!

Comment

Re: Your stats &amp; how they affect offensive spellcasting

Sound Blast is a Fire Based move, as Fire defeats Ice, and Ice is mainly related to INT.

CHR seems to be a combination of Light and Dark in the case of BLU, as commented here:
                          http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/blu....chaining.html

Which may explain why +CHR aids for MP Drain Kiss.

Yeesh though...seems we need every stat but DEX and VIT...so taxing...and we can't use Kirin's Osode either...how depressing.
                          All spells obtained!

Comment

You BLUs are MP hogs, I tell you. It's not uncommon to find them expending almost 500 MP away on just 2/3 of a fight. WTF? Even 6mp/tick isn't enough ... whoah.
                            If they are blowing their MP pools like that, then their's
                            A) Not casting the right spells
                            B) Lacking in accuracy/potancy equipment
                            C) Are spamming like crazy and not using their swords at all.
                            D) A combination or all of the above.

By the time you are doing raptors, you can help create a self-renki/burt senerio that is far more effective for the MP you are spending. The rest of the time you focus on low-mp damge spells and debuffs.

Thats at least how my stragity has been so far.

Now back to the OP:
                            So we have CHR sugested for overall accuracy. (Tested, second opinion?)

STR + Accuracy effects close range physical attacks. (Tested/Verified)

AGI/STR + Ranged Accuracy for Raged Physical Attacked (Not Tested)

CHR+ for special Magical Catagory "Breath Weapon" (Tested, one last verify?)

INT + MAB for attack Magical Blue Magic. (Compare/Contrast vrs CHR use?)

MND for Cures and Buffs (Tested, Verified)

Thats alot of gear to keep on. CHR STR and Accuracy seems to be the prominant ones though, along with hMP

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPeorth

Yeesh though...seems we need every stat but DEX and VIT...so taxing...and we can't use Kirin's Osode either...how depressing.
                              Nope we need DEX too. 2 Dex = 1 Accy for landing physical spells ^.^

Comment

Working...
                              X