Blue magic learning guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blue magic learning guide

I learned Metallic Body in West Saru. Regarding the rest of your question, read the OP.
    Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
    This is not a list of all the mobs that can teach you the skill, only convenient targets that are available when you reach the required level to learn the spell. I've tried to include targets that are easy prey for that level, some that might be proper fodder for an experience party, and some middle ground targets for skillups and the like. However, you can learn blue magic from any mob of the appropriate family provided you can kill it, or can get a high level person in your party to kill it for you.
    The ones in Dangruf Wadi can probably hit you better. Try those.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Ghenji View Post
      Can anybody confirm getting Metallic Body off of the River Crabs in West Sarutabaruta or the River Crabs by the cliffs in East Sarutabaruta?
      Over the course of last night and this morning I have went through level 8 and 9 killing nothing but river crabs in those areas trying to get Metallic Body. I am estimateing that I have killed around 30 crabs that used Metallic Body on themselves before I killed them. The 5 other spells I have gotten so far did not take this long at all to get.
      I'm frustrated, I still don't have the spell. I'm about to relocate to the other zones listed and try crabs there.
      In addition, what happens when you outlevel all the mobs that would give you no peticular to the point where they can't even hit you anymore to build up TP? I have pondered over this being a new Blue Mage because it's almost to the point where these crabs can barely hit me. Do you have to delevel or do you just miss out on getting that spell?
      I killed over 50 crabs and didn't get it, resigning myself to learning it in Valkurm since I'd be fighting so many there. If a mob will ever give you a skill, it will always give you that skill, even if you are 74 levels above it. There's also higher level versions of almost every enemy type to where you could just find one and learn the skill even at level 75 if you miss it now.
      http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gen...igure-out.html
      http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...n-on-NA-US-PS2 (Adoulin install on NA PS2)
      http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.htm
      My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.32.

Comment

There's also higher level versions of almost every enemy type to where you could just find one and learn the skill even at level 75 if you miss it now.
        I'm very relieved to hear that, cos its going to take me till then to get the first spell learned! Level 8 now, and no spells learned so far, none! Ronfaure isn't being nice to me ; ;

At least I'm subbing BST to solo it, so I don't have to worry about lfp in the dunes as a very gimped melee
        CatrinM WHM75/BST75/BRD45/BLM37/PLD37/WAR37
        Bastok [10] Sandoria [10] Windurst [9]
        Linkshell: PromathiaChained / Shiva
        Catrin BST75/WHM37/BLM31/SMN9/NIN7/MNK6
        Bastok [6] Sandoria [1] Windurst [1]
        Linkshell: PromathiaChained / Shiva
        Beastmasters never die, we just get do-overs!

Comment

My Wife and I are leveling BLU together and I've gotten all spells you can unlock in Gustaberg/Highlands until 8 so far. We've been running around and getting all hers now and I can say at this point, our average is somewhere around 6-8 mobs killed until she learns the spell. And that's 6-8 mobs that actually use the ability, not counting the ones that die before they're able. The way I did it was that I would move to a different mob for a different spell if the one I was targeting didn't want to give it up. Seems to make it less frustrating.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
          SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

I tried a couple days for featherstorm in Tarongi with no luck.
            I was lev 18, a little high for the birdmen there and a little low for the ones
            in Mer mountains. I leveled to 20 on lizards birds and I concentrated on
            using as much Blu magic as possible to raise skill to almost max.
            At 20 that was 65 I think, then the second bird gave me featherstorm.
            From now on I'll keep blue magic maxed , I think it has a difference in getting spells. So multiply yout level X3, that's the minimum your blue magic should be.
            Beast 69 Blue 42 War 36 Pld 35 Red 35
            Thf 30 Nin 23 Rgr 17 Sam 15

Cook 100 Wood 52 Fish 31 Leather 30 Cloth 30
            Smith 22 Alchemy 20 Gold 16 Bone 15

Comment

For clarification, dunno if this has been covered but you can learn spells higher than your level, you just can't equip them til you've leveled up. My wife got Head Butt from a Quadav @ lvl 8, but she can't equip it yet.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

You can learn spells higher then your level, but only to a certain point, also, learning spells becomes harder the higher the spell's level is in comparisson to yours. I've had people swear to me that they've learned spells 10 levels higher then their current, but I've --personally-- haven't had that happen (in fact, I've often had difficulties learning spells when I was the right level sometimes >.>).

That being said, my general rule of thumb is that any spell five levels higher then you is probably fair game. Just be sure that the mobs you are fighting can actually be killed by you and/or the set-up you have (at Lv. 60, there's some nasty Lv. 70+ mobs that teach you magic, its rather frustrating getting groups together to learn those spells.)

Comment

Eh, from what I can tell you can't learn a spell that's more than one tier above your current lvl. Example, if you're level 12 then you can learn spells in the level 16 tier but not above that. Pure speculation though. I say this because my wife and I were leveling on Sheep in the Highlands from 10-12 or so. Killed numerous sheep @ 10 and 11, Sheep Song used on us probably a few dozen times, but not until we killed one after dinging 12 did we actually learn Sheep Song.
                  Last edited by Intensity; 09-23-2006, 07:35 AM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75

Comment

Then why did I learn blast bomb at level 13, and its an 18 spell...?

No, I do not have a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Intensity View Post
                      Example, if you're level 12 then you can learn spells in the level 16 tier but not above that. Pure speculation though. I say this because my wife and I were leveling on Sheep in the Highlands from 10-12 or so. Killed numerous sheep @ 10 and 11, Sheep Song used on us probably a few dozen times, but not until we killed one after dinging 12 did we actually learn Sheep Song.
                      I was speaking from my personal experience so far which is only to level 13. Hence, the bolded above.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75

Comment

I see, I must've missed that. In any case, you can learn spells 10 levels above your own, 6 ahead at level 51, I think.

No, I do not have a life.

Comment

Your guide has been really helpful and I wanted to say thanks for putting it up. Just wanted to add a couple things that I have found leveling my blu. Probably a lot of people know these already but for the purpose of this being a guide I thought I'd put it down.

1) The Xarc dragons don't do Body Slam, they have a weaker move called Heavy Stomp or something that they use instead. Seems the only place you can learn Body Slam is from the Dahak in Mount Z or the KS30 Double Dragonian.

2) It seems learning spells in Beseiged is only possible if you are in the alliance that kills the mob, so try to get in a big ally if you're trying to learn spells that way.

3) A lot of TOA spells like Frenetic Rip or Spinal Cleave require you to break the mob's weapon before it will use it. Crit hits and possibly weaponskills can break them, but the chance is pretty low so these spells can be a pain. It's so great when you finally get them though!
                          75MNK | 75 SAM | 75 NIN | 75 BLU | 75 THF | 75 WAR

Comment

I find this guide very help ful, but im gettting fustrated while trying to learn the spells because i some how learned lvl 12 head butt before i could even learn lvl one sandspin.

Comment

hey don't give up i had to kill like a thousand worms to get their spell so just be patient and every single crab uses that spell patience is the key good luck.

Originally posted by Ghenji View Post
                              Can anybody confirm getting Metallic Body off of the River Crabs in West Sarutabaruta or the River Crabs by the cliffs in East Sarutabaruta?

Over the course of last night and this morning I have went through level 8 and 9 killing nothing but river crabs in those areas trying to get Metallic Body. I am estimateing that I have killed around 30 crabs that used Metallic Body on themselves before I killed them. The 5 other spells I have gotten so far did not take this long at all to get.

I'm frustrated, I still don't have the spell. I'm about to relocate to the other zones listed and try crabs there.

In addition, what happens when you outlevel all the mobs that would give you no peticular to the point where they can't even hit you anymore to build up TP? I have pondered over this being a new Blue Mage because it's almost to the point where these crabs can barely hit me. Do you have to delevel or do you just miss out on getting that spell?

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by Minaku View Post

3) A lot of TOA spells like Frenetic Rip or Spinal Cleave require you to break the mob's weapon before it will use it. Crit hits and possibly weaponskills can break them, but the chance is pretty low so these spells can be a pain. It's so great when you finally get them though!
                                just to add to this, I was helping a friend try and get Spinal Cleave, and aside from breaking their weapons, the Qutrub sometimes put them away. Also, I'd think a THF or someone subbing THF would be a good thing with regards to getting the crit necessary to break the weapon.

Comment

Working...
                                X