Deciding on Vermillion Cloak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on Vermillion Cloak

Assuming we ever get past 50 (stupid genkai quest ), I need to start deciding where to put my money. I have a few options.

Body:

I'm getting this for 'free' for my AF quest

The enfeebling skill is ok, elemental would be better. The -3 emnity is pretty great.

I WILL be getting this (1.1mil now) at level 68

The question, is do I grab this at level 59?

I will be out on the emnity and the enfeebling. However, with the refresh effect I will be able to cast a lot more, and should never have to worry about MP. With Baron (our RDM) keeping Refresh on me, it should stack, right? I'd be able to use my ancient magic each fight to finish a mob off, so we'd be flying through. I'd have my Wizards coat for the enmity incase the last spell didn't quite finish it off, not that it would matter.
    Or should I just wait another 9 levels for the Demon's cloak?

The only thing about skipping the Vermillians coat is that I could spend the money on rings and earrings instead. Only thing is, I'd be spending about 500k on as little as +1 extra INT

The only other worthwhile items are the HQ wands (which I have Aquilos already) and spells (already have the most expensive ones, the ancient magic scrolls).

The more I think about it, the more I want the Vermillians cloak. I'll be out -3 emnity from my AF coat, but that just means I'll have to wait a little longer to nuke while the tank builds hate, and I can spend that time debuffing the mob.

However, with both robes I can't equip headgear.

Having the MP, INT, and Enmity is hard to let go of. I could throw this on with my wizards coat for the big spells, then switch to the Vermillians immediately after.

Why can't I wear a robe with my hood down

What should I do???

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
    DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
    BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
    Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Re: Deciding on Vermillion Cloak

If you have multiple mage jobs 50+, then vermillion is a worth investment.
    If you only have Blm tho, not really.

The key is to have macro set for different set of equipments. Later on, most people will macro on the black cloak when they're not nuking, and when nuking, people have 2 more sets for this.

1 set is for fighting tough mobs, go for most skill to ensure least resistance (+elemental skill, +magic accuracy) and another set for normal mobs that boost the most damage (+magic damage, +INT)
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I doubt I'll bring my other mage jobs this high, and if I do it won't be for a LONG while. There is plenty of other stuff that I probably won't even get to with BLM.

When you say black cloak, I assume you are referring to Demon?

Yep, I've planned on having two macros for gear slots like that. Just not sure if I want to include the Vermillion in one of those, or in another set.

The way I see it, if I buy the Vermillion, I'll just sell it at 68 and use that gil for the Demons cloak.

Comment

Not a Black Mage at all! (Though I do plan on taking it up more soon.) Just chiming in to answer some of your more general questions.

The "Adds Refresh" effects on Black Cloak, Vermillion Cloak, will indeed stack with refresh. But, if you're going to have a Red Mage in your static, the appeal for a vermy lessens a bit I think. It's only 1 mp per tick, so it's not gonna make or brake your Black Mage. Your Wizard's Coat is useful to macro in for enfeebles at the appropriate times.

I would say, if you're really lookin to boost your performance a bit, I recommend getting a couple friends to help you camp Centurio X-I for a Shaman's Cloak in Quicksand Caves. It's free, and would benefit BLM more than blowing your gil on a Vermy,imo, when you can just ride your Red Mage until Demon's Cloak.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron517 View Post
          Not a Black Mage at all! (Though I do plan on taking it up more soon.) Just chiming in to answer some of your more general questions.

The "Adds Refresh" effects on Black Cloak, Vermillion Cloak, will indeed stack with refresh. But, if you're going to have a Red Mage in your static, the appeal for a vermy lessens a bit I think. It's only 1 mp per tick, so it's not gonna make or brake your Black Mage. Your Wizard's Coat is useful to macro in for enfeebles at the appropriate times.

I would say, if you're really lookin to boost your performance a bit, I recommend getting a couple friends to help you camp Centurio X-I for a Shaman's Cloak in Quicksand Caves. It's free, and would benefit BLM more than blowing your gil on a Vermy,imo, when you can just ride your Red Mage until Demon's Cloak.
          Nice, thanks for the input.

I've always dreamed of having the Shamans cloak, but I'd couldn't drag my static down there and camp it for myself, there is so much other things we could be doing.

I'll have to look in on Centurio's spawn rate and how well it drops again.

Comment

I'd wear a shamans over a vermillions cloak. I'd say save your money on the vermy.
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I believe the spawn rate is about every two hours-just like Mysticmaker Profilix.

Dunno if your perma ever has any off-days, but you could venture out to his spawn and try to get lucky and find it up and lurking about or atleast get ToD. Then you could rally your ls or friend's list for some backup. Just a suggestion ^^

EDIT: Whoops! According to ffxi.somepage it's actually a lottery spawn. and you know how those can be but you still have the possibility of being lucky! maybe...lol
              Last edited by Auron517; 06-25-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

check ffxi.somepage.com or ffxiclopedia.org for an idea of his spawn conditions.
                Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I do have a bit of a bias because I personally feel that the V cloak is an overpriced red turd, but still, I can't recommend it for BLM. 1/tick Refresh gives you 200 MP over 10 minutes of play, that's enough for maybe 3 more decent nukes in a 10 minute span, not even 2/3 of what you need for an AM spell. Considering that a BLM has a bit more leeway on when they can rest than other jobs, I don't think it's worth giving up a 10 Enfeebling skill, in addition to +4 INT from not being able to wear the AF hat.

V cloak is decent as something you swap in while resting to give a tad more mp, but really 1/tick in between fights isn't going to do much, and you're more effective with the stat boosts from other pieces.
                  Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Seeing as how you aren't on Unicorn, go with the AF gear until you can get your demon's.

If you were on Unicorn I'd say wait for me to gain 10 more levels in weaving and then buy a Vermy from me

The Shamans cloak is pretty nifty for a blm, taru blm in my old static was able to get it, and as I recall it can be used for other mage jobs if you are so inclined to take any others that high.

Also, you get what, -7 enmity from AF body and hat? That's pretty good IMO. In the off chance that your AM doesn't kill off the mob, it'll make it just a tad bit easier to get hate off of you.

But yeah, I would not waste the gil on a Vermy if I was going to get a Demon's Cloak, none whatsoever. 1mp/3seconds is not worth the cost.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Thanks everyone, the thread has served its purchase, and I've saved a lot of money! I didn't realize it was only 1MP/tick
                      and a lmao @ over price red turd

Comment

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Vermy or a Demon's cloak. They only use of the 1mp/tick refresh would be incase I'm soloing and need a few more MP for a last drain to kill the mob.

A black cloak (much cheaper) serves the same purpuse of Demon's cloak in terms of refresh. For body piece between AF and Errant's/Igqira I'd recommend a Black Cotehardie. It has 2 int (plus 4 since you can wear a hat) and converts 25hp -> mp.

If you insist on a over priced HQ item, go for a Demon's Helm +1 for the 1 extra int and a bit of skill over the AF hat. Makes you look bad ass as well.

Though if gil is of no consequence to you, I'd highly recommend HQ staves. No other singular piece of equipment will increase your damage more than the HQ staves. Personally I'd recommend them in this order:

Aquilo's, Jupiter's, Pluto's, Austers, Vulcan's, Neptune's, Terra's, Apollo's.

These help with resist, damage, and thier varying stats.

Also, while AM is fun, and MBing Freeze is fun. It isn't really MP effiecient. You'll do a lot more damage over time generally buy using your highest tier single target nukes with a lot less downtime. AM however is extremly usefull in soloing though, as you'll be able to one-shot BST pets fairly steadily.

Comment

Holy crap, how did I miss the Black Cloak

A little easier to swallow than the Demon cloak

Another thing I'm not quite sure on is what spell to use what staff. When is it better to use a Fire staff for a fire spell over the bonus INT and Elemental skill from the Aquilos wand?

Comment

You'll ALWAYS use the corresponding staff. Fire for fire spells, Ice for ice spells et cetera.

NQ staves give a 10% increase in damage, and a 10% better chance against resistance. HQ give 15% correspondingly. Also, you'll get the opposite effectif you have the opposite stave equiped. I.E. you have wind staff on when casting an earth spell. No matter the spell, the +10% to resistance and damage will outweigh the skill and int on Aquilo's.

You'll also want to equip the appropriate staff for your enfeebes as well. Wind for gravity, silence. Dark for aspir, drain, sleep. Earth for slow. Et cetera et cetera.

Comment

Originally posted by Necropolis View Post
                              You'll ALWAYS use the corresponding staff. Fire for fire spells, Ice for ice spells et cetera.

NQ staves give a 10% increase in damage, and a 10% better chance against resistance. HQ give 15% correspondingly. Also, you'll get the opposite effectif you have the opposite stave equiped. I.E. you have wind staff on when casting an earth spell. No matter the spell, the +10% to resistance and damage will outweigh the skill and int on Aquilo's.

You'll also want to equip the appropriate staff for your enfeebes as well. Wind for gravity, silence. Dark for aspir, drain, sleep. Earth for slow. Et cetera et cetera.
                              Holy crap. I'm going to end up spending 8 hours setting up my macros

Comment

Working...
                              X