• Show
Clear All

• Guide to the Elemental Enfeebles.

headnote

Here we go:

A guide to the Elemental Enfeebles

I. What are the Elemental Enfeebles?

II. What do the Elemental Enfeebles do?

III. Where can I find the Elemental Enfeeble scrolls?

IV. What Elemental Enfeebles stack?

V. Legal information.

Part I - What are the Elemental Enfeebles?

The Elemental Enfeebles are a group of spells learn by Black Mage job class throughout levels 16 -27. They are noted as Elemental Enfeebles because, unlike normal enfeebling spells, their chance of landing unresisted and their potency is based solely on INT and Elemental Skill.

Another thing that should be noted - As they are Elemental Enfeebles, they are based off of the elemental wheel.

The wheel runs in a clockwise fasion, so Fire melts Ice, Ice blocks Wind, Wind erodes Stone, etc. No Elemental Enfeebles related to one another (left or right to another element) may be active on the monster at one time. This will be detailed in section IV.

Part II - What do the Elemental Enfeebles do?

The Elemental Enfeebles are Damage over Time, or DoT spells. This means they are incompatible with sleep. Their secondary aspect - Reducing one status of the target(be it mob or player) also increases the allure of these spells. Each enfeeble will reduce the stat of the corresponding element it triumphs over:

Fire - Burn - Recudes INT(Ice) - Makes Black Magic(Nukes, other ele. enfeebles, etc.) land better.

Ice - Frost - Reduces AGI(Wind) - Reduces the ranged accuracy and evasion on target.

Wind - Choke - Reduces VIT(Earth) - Reduces defence of target.

Earth - Rasp - Reduces DEX(Thunder) - Reduces accuracy of target.

Thunder - Shock - Reduces MND(Water) - Makes White Magic(Banish, slow, etc.) land better.

Water - Drown - Reduces STR(Fire) - Recudes attack and ranged attack of target

The potency of these effects is based solely on your Intelligence, while accuracy is based on Elemental Magic Skill. The potency is as follows:

* 1 - 39 INT = 1hp/tic (-5 stat)
    * 40 - 69 INT = 2hp/tic (-7 stat)
    * 70 - 99 INT = 3hp/tic (-9 stat)
    * 100 - 149 INT = 4hp/tic (-11 stat)
    * 150 - ??? INT = 5hp/tic (-13 stat)

NOTE: The effects of an opponents INT and MND is debatable. What I have listed, is what I hold to be true, however it has also been said that MND reduces Magic Defence of the monster, weakening them to all spells, while lowered INT only reduces the foes Magic Accuracy, and has no effect on the damage taken by your spells.

Part III - Where do I get the Elemental Enfeeble scrolls?

All 6 scrolls for the Elemental Enfeeble spells can be found in the three starter cities Magic Shops. These are located in Port San D' Oria, Port Windurst, and Bastok Markets.

Shock - Level 16 BLM - 25 MP

Rasp - Level 18 BLM - 25 MP

Choke - Level 20 BLM - 25 MP

Frost - Level 22 BLM - 25 MP

Burn - Level 24 BLM - 25 MP

Drown - Level 27 BLM - 25 MP

Part IV - What Elemental Enfeebles stack?

Up to 3 Elemental Enfeebles can be active on a monster at one time. These 3 are decided by what others are currently on the monster. No opposing elements can be on at the same time. For instance, Lets say someone cast Frost on the monster. If you then attempt to cast Choke, Frost's effect will block the spell from taking effect(Ice > Wind). However, if you cast Burn, Burn will stick BUT Frost's effect will be melted off(Fire > Ice). Then if you cast Choke, Shock, or Rasp, they will stick, and have no effect on Burn(Not next to each other on the elemental wheel).

Possible stacking combinations:

Burn - Choke - Shock(MND, VIT, and INT down.)

Rasp - Frost - Drown(STR, AGI, and DEX down.)

Rasp - Burn(DEX and INT down.)

Frost - Shock(MND and AGI down.)

Choke - Drown(VIT and STR down.)

And, each single elemental enfeeble.

Kudos to Taskmage for giving me the idea to draw this chart up:

All the enfeebles in each row/column will stack with each other.
    [/size]
    Last edited by Neomage; 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM. Reason: Revision and updates.
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Guide to the Elemental Enfeebles.

I drew this up for myself as a reference:[code].---------------.
    | Burn | Rasp |
    |---------------|
    | Choke | Drown |
    |---------------|
    | Shock | Frost |
    '---------------'[/code]All the elemental debuffs on a target must be in the same row or column as all the others.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Somebody in my ls pointed out something that makes this a lot easier to remember. The groups of DoTs that you can stick in threes are all light aligned or dark aligned. That is, you can stick Shock+Burn+Choke (Thunder, Fire, and Wind are all Light MB) or Drown+Rasp+Frost (Water, Earth, and Ice are all Darkness MB).
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

While there are several possible combinations 2~3 enfeebles, I find myself using only a 3 of them over and over.

Shock+Frost: The most used in exp for me before the 70s. Shock gets them ready for enfeebles, and Frost helps the melees hit.

Shock+Choke+Burn: Used usually after 70s, when you are fighting T~VT and accuracy isn't an issue. This combo helps with damage.

Rasp+Frost+Drown: I use this in skill up and when soloing weaker things that I can tank and melee myself. Plus Bio2 and Phalanx this cuts down damage taken from the mob by a lot.
        Junior Member?

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          I drew this up for myself as a reference:[code].---------------.
          | Burn | Rasp |
          |---------------|
          | Choke | Drown |
          |---------------|
          | Shock | Frost |
          '---------------'[/code]All the elemental debuffs on a target must be in the same row or column as all the others.
          Thankyou Taskmage, I have put this chart into a macro echo..

and thankyou for the user who made this thread it was very useful.
          Crank dat Soulja boy..

Comment

I heard on ffxiclopedia if you have over 100 int you get 4 damage/tick so im going to assume the formula is 1 damage per tick for every 25 INT you have.

And has anyone tested the amount of atribute down these spells give in ballista? like how much does it give at level 30 and at level 75?

Comment

It should be noted that when Burn lowers the targets intelligence, it also allows spell damage to increase towards the target. This includes spell damage from both black and white magic.

[b]

Goodbye everyone.

Comment

I'm pretty sure INT only affects damage received from black magic
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Yeah this has already been said (I'm new, hi).

so basically, if I got it right for my own words, different spells can stack, but can also be nullified from another spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Saisori View Post
                    Yeah this has already been said (I'm new, hi).

so basically, if I got it right for my own words, different spells can stack, but can also be nullified from another spell?
                    Correct. Basically, two elements that have no correlation to each other can stack. However, if there is a relationship between two elements, either you are going to overwrite the other one or there will be no effect when you cast the new one. For example:

If I cast Shock then Choke on a mob, both will land and I'll get the benefit from having two enfeebles on that mob.

If I cast frost then burn, fire melts ice, so burn will overwrite the frost effect.

If I cast shock then drown, thunder electricutes water so nothing will happen when you cast drown.

Hope that helped.
                    Last edited by Mog; 01-17-2008, 04:38 AM.
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Hey i have been todl that certain spells will help a party. I was wondering, what kind of spells should i use if it is mainly melee classes in the party? And what if they were all mages?
                      Name: Alkisti
                      Server: Cerberus
                      Job: 20BRD/10WHM.

Comment

The short answer is, the Burn Series helps mages, the Frost helps melee. ffxiclopedia tells you what the down effect of each one is so you can figure out which is best to use when.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Frost or Choke for improving melee damage. Either will stack with Shock, which powers up enfeebles a bit, so long as it is applied first.

I don't think Drown, Rasp, or Burn are very cost-effective. You might try Drown and Rasp with a paladin tank, or just Rasp with a NIN. Burn you might use in a BLM party.

Comment

Well, in Manaburns, you don't use elemental enfeebles because you want to kill the monster with one round of attacks, and using burn prevents sleeping and/or makes the mob aggro you...

I've seen Burn used a lot on HNMs, Drown and Rasp aren't very good in early levels, but once you can get INT over 100 they become worthwhile DoT spells.
                            Originally posted by Ellipses
                            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                            Originally posted by MCLV
                            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                            More Sig:

Comment

Haven't seen the one one round of attacks thing happen, but I haven't seen Burn being used either.

Comment

Working...
                              X