This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blm soloability

Please, don't tell me it's not a solo game. I know it isn't. However, there's a lot of soloing going on.
    People kill easy prey all the time for fun and for farming.
    People solo tough things just to see if they can do it.

A recent thread contains someone's account of having defeated Maat easily. I thought Maat was pretty tough for other jobs.

Does this mean that all that noise I was hearing a couple of years ago about black mages being completely inept at soloing was misplaced?
    ~Zozor!

Re: blm soloability

You can solo if you like on BLM but in most cases it will be the sleep/nuke/sleep tactic which is not only boring but very slow. In many instances you would be better off teaming up with others or simply farming lower lvl mobs that you don't have to worry about getting pwned by if your sleep doesn't stick.

The only exception to this I would think is elementals. You guys pwn those so bad it isn't funny.
    Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
    http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

realize that when ppl give accounts of soloing stuff, it's not for XP.

solo Easys for farming, Toughs for certain RARE/EX drops or the challenge and Maat because you HAVE to.

Most people do not solo for XP.

that being said, the only thing, afaik, that BLMs can solo for XP are worms and possibly elementals. Most other things will rip through our paper armor if we cannot nuke it to death in the first few rounds.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Au contraire mes amis :D BLMs can solo very very well, actually, depending on your lvl. I have a BLM friend who solo'd the pets of the Gob BST-type in Bibiki Bay (Goblin Animalier?) at lvl 62 and was making 4-4.5K an hour, no XP ring. Granted, that's lower than an average-to-good PT. However he was able to do this while lfg and already at a practical camp spot for that lvl. He says the only trick is pulling the pet away from the Gob without aggroing it. Then it's just a Sleep II » Flare » Sleep II » Flare cycle. He was even able to Chain4. That's at lvl 62+ though, and you'd have to know what you were doing
        Kailo(Elvaan):[75DRK], [37THF], 37WAR, 37SAM, 37RDM, 37NIN
        Current Mission
        â—‹San d'Oria [M8-2] - Lightbringer
        â—‹Zilart [ZM14] - Ark Angels
        â—‹Promathia [PM4-2] - The Savage
        -----------------------------------------
        "Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!" (°~°; )

Comment

I don't have CoP

Double Post Edited:
          btw, why would you want/need to solo on BLM anyway? it's one of the more desired jobs in the party.
          Last edited by neighbortaru; 02-23-2006, 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I'm not sure why you'd need to solo with BLM. But SE, and the world in general, is ironic and assholish like that XD
            Kailo(Elvaan):[75DRK], [37THF], 37WAR, 37SAM, 37RDM, 37NIN
            Current Mission
            â—‹San d'Oria [M8-2] - Lightbringer
            â—‹Zilart [ZM14] - Ark Angels
            â—‹Promathia [PM4-2] - The Savage
            -----------------------------------------
            "Better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!" (°~°; )

Comment

I'm not saying I'd need to. I don't even play one. I was just curious after seeing some blm videos and reading some comments. I remember that when I first started playing (U.S. release) I heard all sorts of comments on how poorly they soloed.
              ~Zozor!

Comment

I was watching a level 25 Mithra BLM solo mandys outside of Kazham the other day. That impressed me some.

Comment

Nuke, Bind, Nuke, Sleep, repeat till it's dead. Aspir and rest while it's sleeping if you run out of MP. If you can sleep it reliably you can solo it. Depending on the species that can mean things higher level than you sometimes. Gravity and Bind will also work depending on the creature type and level difference. BLM is a strong soloer if all you want is to kill the creature (sometimes their kill rate is good too.)

With AF, some cheap defensive food and an earth staff I killed even match Robber Crabs in Boyhada with nothing but the staff, spikes and Drain for damage. Took 20 minutes, but that's possible too.

Comment

I've soloed the gobbie pets on Bibiki. Exp chain#2 on Toughs, 200-280 exp a pop. Good fun.

in my 50's too I soloed the pets in Gustav Tunnel but they were only d/c. Those level mobs you can one shot with ancient magic. The Bibiki ones need 2-3 nukes to finish.
                    Last edited by Kafeen; 02-24-2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

I've soloed the gob's pets in Bibiki Bay a lot on Ninja. My personal best so far is Chain #3 for 468 exp with empress band on. Yeah, you can get 4k+ per hour pretty easily UNTIL you get the last second turn around on the gob which WILL happen (I don't care how careful you are). This of course causes about as much time as a PT member suddenly leaving and having to find a new one because you have to warp out and come all the way back if you wish to continue soloing.
                      Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
                      http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

... its not that BLM can't solo, its that they can't solo as well as other jobs.

When it comes down to it the hardest jobs to solo -in general- are probably BRD, WHM, and BLM. There are always exceptions to the rules (As a WHM I find WHM beastmen really easy), but in general... Yes they are inept.

A good example of this is to look at when you do Solo for XP (the first ten levels usually). It is really easy to blow through it as melee... takes twice as long as a mage.

Comment

anything sleepable are soloable by blm tho :D I duo with my gf blm a lot killing up to tough enemies this way.
                          it's not fast and always some down time. but we can take on much stronger enemies compare to melee.
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

The reason i dont nuke when i solo is cause i dont like resting every 5 mins to recharge mp, i just melee with my club and cure when needed, but it is fun soloing those elelmentals, with the right spells you can easaly own them ^^. Blm probably can outdamage anything but the trade off is that they are very weak and dont take hits good but they speed up the xp rate of any pt.

Comment

I've soloed a lot as a 75BLM and I can truly say that I despise it. Downtime is horrible and the fight itself has so much in terms of risk that getting anything out of it (beastmen's seals, Kindred's seals, and items) is almost none existent.

The only thing making solo a problem for BLM is a general lack of MP and melee damage.

But none the less we shine when it comes to sleep nuking....although RDMs are better at it.
                              75BLM/41RDM WHM37 61NIN/WAR37 MNK10 THF8
                              Bastok: 10 Windurst: 7-1
                              ZM: DONE CoP 8-1 ToAU8
                              Goldsmithing: 48.7+1 Clothcraft: 83.0+1
                              http://akujin.defaultalias.com

Comment

Working...
                              X