BST Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BST Potential

Hi everyone, I have a question about BST. I understand that BST is a really nice solo job and it looks like a lot of fun so that's why I'm taking it to 90 first. I would like to know with the recent very good jug pets (Nursery Nazuna and such) if BST is a pretty good DD as far as endgame or party situations. I know it wouldn't be anything like a SAM, but is it good enough to get invites?

Thanks for the responses

Re: BST Potential

Originally posted by Steedious View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a question about BST. I understand that BST is a really nice solo job and it looks like a lot of fun so that's why I'm taking it to 90 first. I would like to know with the recent very good jug pets (Nursery Nazuna and such) if BST is a pretty good DD as far as endgame or party situations. I know it wouldn't be anything like a SAM, but is it good enough to get invites?

Thanks for the responses
    First of all, it sounds like you're talking in the old pre-Abyssea terms. Since Abyssea kind of shook up the whole world of jobs, things are a lot more balanced, except that PLD is low on the list now.

NN is a pretty good pet, especially if you make a bunch of jugs while both conquest regions are taken, decent damage and lots of HP. She works really well for old mission content. Dipper Yuly is good with THF evasion and TH2 but the ingredients are a lot of work to farm, and the coeurl is apparently good too.
    Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
    99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
    F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
    >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

So they are pretty decent as far as a DD goes? Also you mentioned that mats for jugs are hard to farm for. Is the most efficient way to get jugs through crafting?

Comment

Do you play Bst already?
        If not then in regards to the older style of bst's it's still very possible to play as the older bsts did. in fact because everyone is inside abyssea getting a camp is alot easier. Camps that involve trials of the magians can be a pain because even though bst areas are common knowledge the "party takes priority over solo" mentality seems to be applied to people doing trials. allthough this isnt as common as it used to be.

If it's your first character then completing the limit breaks will require assistance. I"m not the best of bsts but I did try LB1 and found it too difficult.

If you are new I wouldnt recommend bst as your first job because it's overlooked by 99% of people looking for people to achieve things regardless of what bst can actually achieve, So make sure you can bring something else to the table. I think Bst only get asked to search for shikigami weapon using widescan apart from that when it comes to events you'll be greeted with "Do you have any other jobs"
        Also if it's your first character avoid burning your character in Abyssea. A real bst has to learn by eating dirt and eating alot of it. Burn whatever other jobs you like though lol.

Gosh I feel like I"m a vanadiel pensioner ".....back in my day....... /fallasleep zzzzz"
        Bst is a great job just it still to this day has alot of stigma attatched to it. Hang in there though because it's alot of fun.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

I'm not a new player, but this is the first time I've played BST so I guess I'm caught in between what I think i know about old BST and what the new BST brings to the table.

Thanks for the advice by the way. I definitely want to level it because it seems like a really cool solo job. If I have to level another job to get invites, so be it, but I think I'll try and change people's minds anyway

Comment

You'll more than likely get invites as a bst just that playing bst solo takes a little getting used to, Finding a mix between party and solo play would benefit you more I'd just hate for you to lack the "bst instinct" for lack of a better term. I've seen some bst's excel while playing in a group then solo/duo they seemed clueless.
            I'm only 72Bst well 73 but I dinged and died lol.
            The other bst's on here should chime in eventually with more advice being more experienced than myself also I usually follow their advice and has served me very well.

Comment

Woot, a Bst topic. Must not have seen it the other day. Ohhh where do I start ^^. This might be long…and I’m sorry.

If you’ve gotten a job(s) to 75+ and your just done with the xp grind, id suggest at least do a couple levels here and there solo out of abyssea burning. Maybe a level or 2 in the 40s/50s/60s. And here’s my opinions why…

In a party, you can let loose more as chances are you have the support behind you (healer/buffer/tank). Especially in Abyssea even if half the alliance is afk. Solo though, is different. As a solo bst you need to be a little more careful of your surroundings. You need get a grasp on what gear you’re using, what your fighting, where’s a safe spot, how long will your charmed pet last, what your charming vs what your fighting and how much you should participate. Might sound like a lot but eventually it just becomes second nature.

i can go into more details if needed.

I'm not a new player, but this is the first time I've played BST so I guess I'm caught in between what I think i know about old BST and what the new BST brings to the table.
              New Bst doesn’t bring much to the table in regular groups. We can do some better damage with new jugs but I don’t think people’s opinions have changed much. A lot of people may have opened their eyes to what we can do…yet haven’t changed their thoughts about inviting us. I like the Abyssea Proc system, but I don’t like the methods they used. They left a lot of jobs out.

If you want to go Bst, find a few Bst/Smn/Pup friends. Those combinations work amazingly well together. It may take longer, but you can accomplish just as much as an ‘optimal’ party. In these groups I feel more rewarded when I play as Bst. I feel like I accomplished something that was not the norm. i feel like i was an important part of the activity. Where as in normal alliances I just feel like a spot filler that helped. I'm their because i have friends who know Bst potential or because their were no more WARs seeking.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Maybe I shoulda touched a little on DDing as Bst.

IMO, a ‘good’ Bst can probably keep up with a ‘decent’ War.

I’ve heard of exceptional Bsts coming close to other exceptional DDers but even as a bst I find that hard to believe. Maybe if we had a few better abilities geared toward meleeing. I’ve had 2 or 3 Bsts tell me their close to being top DDers in their groups…but these guys were in strong LSs and had gear that I only dreamt about at the time. And they got most of that gear for their WAR which just so happens to have similar equips with Bst. Again, I find it hard to believe but keep hoping their right.

Here are the parting ideas
              • Bst/Blm – Believe it or not, it’s decent if you have a healer. Stock up on MAB and you’ll get some nice Primal Rend numbers
              • Bst/Rdm – See /blm but with some other helpful spells.
              • Bst/War – My War is 37…haven’t used much, but I assume with Berserk, Fencer and proper gear you’ll get respectable Rampages
              • Bst/Whm – Little better now that you have Fencer and you can haste yourself (or others)
              • Bst/Sch – Kinda like /whm from what I hear.
              • Bst/Dnc – You can help your party out with Samba/Waltzs/ Flourishes
              • Bst/Nin – a DDer with shadows, not much new here

As for jugs in a party, I use Sheep or Rabbit mostly.

Sheep can double attack and use Rage (berserk). Lamb Chop and Sheep charge aren’t very impressive on higher lvl mobs. What is impressive is the regular hit and crit damages.

Rabbit does some nice damage but it’s the wild carrot I like the best. Saves me some gil on reward items.

I don’t like bug inside Abyssea. Aside from maybe TH, I think it’s useless. It’s not a super high damaging jug.

As a solo or lowmann Bst, I use a variety of jugs depending on the situation. I pretty much keep a stack of Sheep/Bug/Rabbit/Eft/Leech/Lynx/Mandy/Raptor on me as much as possible. All those may be a little overboard, but they all come in handy in the right situations.
              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Wow, that's a lot to digest, and sorry for not responding sooner. I've thought about what you wrote and I believe you're right; I do find BST to be more fulfilling in smaller parties with friends rather than people in a large group who invited me as a spot filler.

Thanks for all the subjob ideas, they will come in handy if I ever do get invites.

I am somewhat sad that only a few of the jug pets are considered "good", but I suppose that was how it was back in the day anyway.

All in all thank you for the tips. I'm very grateful.

Comment

Just a question out of curiousity since my BST is sitting at 45, but eager to be leveled. For solo, would just tearing through EP/DC with a pet be better now than chaining EMs with the EXP boost to EP/DC mobs?
                  sigpic
                  Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

I've always found jug pets not to be very strong against wild monsters. Usually I tend to charm monsters and set them upon other monsters. As I'm gaining in lvls I'm finding my jugs alot more usefull but I still really only use them in areas where my pet choice is limited or for emergencies.
                    I've met a bst who levelled solely with jug pets as far as I know up to 75 I only ever saw them with funguar jugs but she seemed to be doing well with them.
                    I imagine once I hit 75 and beyond I'll be relying on jugs more but if I was to lvl bst again I would be charming once again until I hit the higher levels.

Each bst is different, I forget how long my pet has been out so many times I have an egg timer by my pc to make sure my pet doesnt go poof mid battle.

I'm pretty cheap as a bst I'd rather release a charmed pet in it's spawn area so it can regen to full Hp without the use of food all the time.

Comment

Still though, would charming a DC pet and just killing weaker mobs for 100+ a pop quickly be better than trying to chain EMs with charmed EMs (what I usually did long ago)?
                      sigpic
                      Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

Personally I'd say go for chains when possibe, Every little helps.
                        Some camps after 45 makes chaining alot easier. Bomb and goblin targets allow for rapid chains when luck permits so you could say that's an overlap of both styles.

oh and bees too !

Comment

I've always found jug pets not to be very strong against wild monsters. Usually I tend to charm monsters and set them upon other monsters. As I'm gaining in lvls I'm finding my jugs alot more usefull but I still really only use them in areas where my pet choice is limited or for emergencies.
                          I've met a bst who levelled solely with jug pets as far as I know up to 75 I only ever saw them with funguar jugs but she seemed to be doing well with them.
                          I imagine once I hit 75 and beyond I'll be relying on jugs more but if I was to lvl bst again I would be charming once again until I hit the higher levels.
                          75+ you’ll rely on jugs more only because theirs a lack of wild mobs to charm. Some areas have added mobs that are charmable but the activities you do there are so few and far between. For instance, they added birds in Mis coast (not abyssea area) and crabs in Mt Z…are you really ever in those areas? And the spawn points aren’t near anything. It’s not like you can use the crabs vs. Cerberbus.

The jugs from 1-75 are bad…It’s very unfortunate. Pre abyssea days you’d never see a bst xping with a jug. They were only used for farming, o-shit moments or in events/mission where wild mobs aren’t present. The newer jugs are fantastic. The difference is literally night and day. They are equal if not better than a wild EM mob. They have more HPs and seem to have job traits (Sheep double attack, Bug has TH and gil finder…etc).

I'm pretty cheap as a bst I'd rather release a charmed pet in it's spawn area so it can regen to full Hp without the use of food all the time
                          That’s not cheap at all. That’s how it should be played. It was really nice way back in the day because you could leave a mob anywhere and it would regen. Then the MPK patch came. While that had it’s down sides, it also had it’s upsides. Bsts could now convert 2+ mobs into DC or EM and just swap between the 2. Leaving them in their roaming area so they don’t change levels.

Charming is one of the things a lot of older Bsts miss with the introduction of abyssea. It’s sad but at top levels, you don’t really use charm. These days I only use it to claim NMs or to keep hate if I’m kiting.

Still though, would charming a DC pet and just killing weaker mobs for 100+ a pop quickly be better than trying to chain EMs with charmed EMs (what I usually did long ago)?
                          I’d say it depends on the area/mobs/level. At lower levels, I’d say yes, it is better. But once you get higher it’s situational. Mobs have more HPs and even DC/EPs take a little longer to kill. It works great for parties but they have 3-4 people zerging with support. I’ve been able to chain 4 (and a few chain 5s) in many area’s soloing. I'd say stick to chaining if you can get at least chain 3 in the area. if not, then your probably taking too long and DCs might be more worthwhile.

Personally I'd say go for chains when possibe, Every little helps.
                          Some camps after 45 makes chaining alot easier. Bomb and goblin targets allow for rapid chains when luck permits so you could say that's an overlap of both styles.

oh and bees too !
                          Yes, with a little bit of luck on TPs moves, the bomb camp is awesome. Getting to that camp was always a bst milestone. Another good camp is in Bost. Obl (the san’doria area) using slimes vs bats. I think that’s around 54 ish. I remember because that’s where I got Rampage. Slimes are pretty much the best wild pets you can find. At 68 ish, find a duo partner and kill imps in Mire. You can easily chain 5 for HIGH xp.

You will have trouble though at some levels...and that’s where the xp jump vs DCs comes in handy. Find a nice easy spot and go to town. If your lucky their might even be a FoV book to assist you

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I am somewhat sad that only a few of the jug pets are considered "good", but I suppose that was how it was back in the day anyway.
                          I kinda wanted to touch on this too. You’re going to see the Sheep and Bug most commonly. Sheep because it actually IS one heck of a DDing jug (and pretty darn cheap). Bug because of TH and its amazing evasion (amplified with ToM evasion axes).

In my opinion though, it’s not all about the fastest/highest damage. Especially in solo or lowman groups. The other jugs aren’t entirely useless.

The rabbit has wild carrot and a decent DDer. It comes handy. It’s no Zeta or Eta, but certainly adds some longevity to you’re pets HP bar.

The lynx has Paralyze and Silence TP moves. I can’t tell you how many times both of those moves saved my life. It’s a great feeling to silence or paralyze a mob that’s about to shoot off a Thunder IV or V.

The leech is a tanking machine against anything water based. Along with a nice attack down move and decent drain move.

From what I’ve read (can’t confirm though) the HQ fungar may not hit as hard, but has the highest +Crit%. On top of some nice status TP moves.

I haven’t seen much out of the ordinary with the fly…I rarely use it. Only time I really use it is if I’m killing plantoids for some reason (see bst monster chart ^^)

i'll admit their situations are rare and situational, but they do shine once in a while.
                          99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                          -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                          -Verth (90) Completed!!
                          -Guttler (95) Completed!
                          -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                          -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                          -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

BST is awesome... Level 90 I can solo and join parties... I have actually seen more BST players than ever before because of Abyssea.
                            Emmanuell
                            Odin Server - Transplanted from Ifrit Server
                            95 DRK, 95 BST
                            Bastok Rank 10

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X