BST lv 50...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BST lv 50...

Ok well I just got back to FFXI and I can’t seem to find the best place to lv. I prefer the safer mindless grind areas, ones where I won’t get worked up over getting killed constantly or have to be super skilled to level (because i haven’t done this in a while and wasn’t good at the dangerous bst camps to start with).

My problem is I can’t find anywhere... All the camps i can find online are all risky or possibly unprofitable

Gustav I’m too low for unless i risk it, tried risking it when i hit 50 died thrice.
    East ron (s) yay for exploding prey not wanting to go boom
    Crawlers nest, lots of tightly packed mobs and pets

The rest I’m too low for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: BST lv 50...

I'm kind of in the same situation now, Apart from what you have already said it was sugested to me to head into sea serpent grotto just past the mythril door.
    Allthough the wiki levelling guide suggests that area at 51-53.
    Or
    I've found this page to be quite useful
    Beastmaster Viable Hunting Grounds - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Ahh thanks, I totally forgot about the second set of areas on ffxiclopedia heh, i was looking at the older one i think...

Comment

Assuming you're 50 right now how are you dying/struggling in Gustav still? What were you fighting, Robber Crabs? And/or where were you camping? Mobs are quite nicely spread apart it is impossible to link them unless you deliberately do so (near the tunnel to the basement in Gustav, not the initial open area with Flies).

I do 47-53 strictly in Gustav due to ease of accessibility and the ease of prey, on 47-50 you can grind on the locals there (Gobbie RNGs, THFs, Lizzies, Pugils and Bats). The leeches are you primary pets as they will destroy all of them with a bit of effort on your side, especially at 50. I admit that most things come up as Decent Challenge/some Easy Prey but that doesn't mean you can't EXP on them.

If you're daring, at 50 charm a leech and pull the Goblin's Leeches down in the basement. Careful fighting/effective hate balancing will ensure you live through the Goblin's Leeches, since every hit that the Goblin's Leech does to you or pet will usually cause you to lose hate (you ride a very thin hate line when fighting them).

Failing that, it is perfectly acceptable and easy to grind to 53 either way down there due to the sheer power of leeches. It's roughly 7000-8000 EXP to get 1 level to get to 51, 52 and 53. 1 Emperor band will net you 6000 EXP in about 90 mins if you're fast and unpicky, and very mindless. With the EXP "update" + EXP band each fight will net you +/- 100 EXP no problem with the Emperor Band.

Either way, camp at the tunnel leading down to the basement. It is completely safe there unless a certain Wyvern is up and running around.

If you want to do it in short bursts, use Empress Band, burn 1 charge, log off/rest/do something else, then come back for it. You'll find it much easier that way. You won't get massive numbers but you'll accumulate the EXP.

When I get home from work I'll upload my chain#4s on WHM/BST screenshots from Gustav, my current "project", just to prove to you despite my lack of damaging capability (a trade off for a slight increase in survivability I suppose) it is still possible to land the same EXP/rate as a BST will (and they have Leave).

Oh, as a BST, you need to risk more. The more you die the "harder" you become. Each death = a mistake usually, so the point is that you should improve on it. If you don't risk (and learn on top of that) you don't get results.
        [LadyKiKi]
        Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
        .:|The Prototype BST|:.
        Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I'm talking about the basement from 50-53. I can kick the ass out of everything 2v2 in the floor above pretty much, but the exp was slowing down. I unfortunately only recently learned of the emperor band, I’ve been using empress when i got my friend started on ffxi recently and got her her first ring i was sitting there scratching my head over the emperor.

I probably will end up doing it the log, log, log way, it’s how i got to where i am on bst. Whenever i miss a day I log in and use the ring so when i come back i have 2 charges that day (or 3 if it's the 7'th charge)

I prefer killing loads of weak to one mega strong just because you do get more exp now in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuro View Post
            I'm talking about the basement from 50-53. I can kick the ass out of everything 2v2 in the floor above pretty much, but the exp was slowing down. I unfortunately only recently learned of the emperor band, I’ve been using empress when i got my friend started on ffxi recently and got her her first ring i was sitting there scratching my head over the emperor.

I probably will end up doing it the log, log, log way, it’s how i got to where i am on bst. Whenever i miss a day I log in and use the ring so when i come back i have 2 charges that day (or 3 if it's the 7'th charge)

I prefer killing loads of weak to one mega strong just because you do get more exp now in the long run.
            Ah I see. The basement is indeed pretty tricky especially if other people are there, but grinding upstairs is perfectly laid back.

Honestly, I do seriously detest level 50-60, the available camps and the general flow of it is just too slow and awkward.

As said, no tricks or anything:

This was pre-50, before I moved to the basement.

This is 50+

What I am trying to do here is to convince you it's not all too bad if you had to go for tough EXP, despite me lacking in all areas of damage outputting.

However, despite that, it's very safe and good EXP upstairs, the Goblin THFs/RNGs are really weak. With leave you can forever use the leeches, something which I cannot do.

If you sub WHM, keep Regen up.

If you come via the outpost in the dunes, get the "MP Refresh" enhancement. It lasts 1 hour. Get the Reraise too while you're there, if you got tabs. It makes things a lot easier.

Run from the Bomb Tosses when you see them, you can avoid a suicide bomb (potentially high damage) or avoid damage altogether.

EDIT: Absolutely nothing wrong with doing 3000 EXP, log out, doing something else. I find that I die more as I get more EXP, because I get progressively worn down/burned out by it. If I continue I'll just make mistakes.
            Last edited by LadyKiKi; 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM.
            [LadyKiKi]
            Soloed to 75

Comment

What do you reccomend at lv 53?

Comment

i think in the sewer (under sandy) i dont remember the word it ok at 53 you charm slime exp is great.

Comment

Ive been doing crawlers nest since 52 and its terrible, things take forever to die.

Comment

If it to slow for you you can go back where you were at 50,use band and kill all what you see you can make fast xp and at (53-58) go to Bostaunieux Oubliette PET dark aspic (Sound aggro be sure to use sneak before talking to the guy to open the trap) PREY werebat (aggro dont link) bring some food with you you can make good chain but be sure to have good CHR slime can be a pain to charm.

Comment

Originally posted by ospeff View Post
                      Ive been doing crawlers nest since 52 and its terrible, things take forever to die.
                      Yes, I've begun to notice my limitations as WHM on this kind of stuff
                      So as of now, I've resorted to FoV temporarily. I've got added pressure with work lately and have been unable to stay on the game as long as I would have liked, FoV helped me bridge some gaps in my EXP spots...

So as it stood, because I was on WHM, I can stay alive forever but my club sucks... (until presumably I get Hexa Strike)

50-53 - Gustav Tunnel pulling Goblin Leeches
                      54 - Crawler's Nest, near the Rumble Crawler camp (basement map with hidden tunnel) || MIXED with FoV in Xarcabard [Page 1]. A bit slow but with me on WHM/WAR and a melee NPC with FoV Refresh I was able to kill bones reasonably fast. Ghosts were slightly trickier but not much of a threat.
                      55-57 - As usual, basement of Garlaige, bombs and beetles. Beetles take too long to die sometimes, bombs won't explode, and then you have your parties, SMNs, other BSTs to deal with. I was able to make it to 56 but then it got crowded on the days I want to do this, so I went back to Xarcabard. Nice and relaxing, I wasn't really paying much attention.

I would love to go to Bostaunieux Oubliette but my limitations without Leave prevents me from doing so, coupled with the fact that slimes can be hard to charm, not worth the risk for me.

But for any BSTs stuck at around this level, FoV is a good alternative. Use a HQ Rabbit or Funguar as pet and sub DNC and you'll be raking bits of EXP in. Even if your DNC is only 15 it will work fine, the bones don't hit hard, not with signet on. If you sub RDM or WHM just add FoV Refresh. To save money, ensure you try to tank, rather than let your pet die/feed the pet, although this is personal preference.

Add a NPC (but with slight EXP reduction) and you'll be killing even faster. The last few days I've only been logging on for 1~2 hours and it takes me roughly 30 minutes to do 1 round of FoV as WHM, and a new day usually rolls over so I can fit in 2 sessions for ~2000 EXP. Good stuff.
                      [LadyKiKi]
                      Soloed to 75

Comment

I am done with BST, I always pictured it as a solo job but it really isn't, it's terrible, I could get equal Xp/hr on any melee job with DNC sub. They also get no PT invites, it's painful to go to 2k/hr when I just did 20k/hr on Samurai a few hours earlier.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that pets cant hold hate whatsoever, you have to just stand there and let it attack, if you melee a couple of times it will turn on you and you're dead. It's such a waste, if I could actually attack and use Rampage on my BST the xp would be twice as fast, what is the point of giving them an A rated weapon when you can't even use it for fear of death. I thought it would get better but from level 1-58 it's the same thing, I cant attack anything, it's very boring.

Comment

With a lower levelled axe gives you more chance to fight with your pet.
                          I love playing as a Bst and not just levelling where the guides say. I've been able to explore zones even just killing the odd Ep and farming while getting small exp. I'm not one of those people that want big numbers of exp rolling in. Granted it's nice when you get it. Bst is an adventure and a fun one at that.
                          It's a shame you've given up on it.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Ok how the hell you got chain 3 in the basement I'll NEVER know! I can't get chain one in the upstairs room!

What subjob would you suggest if I tried to kill in the basement, last time I died too quick for comfort with DNc sub and a leech pet.

Comment

Kuro: NIN I guess would be ideal, but I find with NIN it will use Acid Mist more often than not.

ospeff: That's an result of overgearing yourself + food + best items possible at X level. And please tell us how you did 20k/hour on SAM. What level and where. Thanks.
                              [LadyKiKi]
                              Soloed to 75

Comment

Working...
                              X