A few ? about BST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few ? about BST

1.) I can't find any information on BST/RNG, good or bad, why?

2.) When your pet becomes untamed and you kill it, do you get full xp?

3.) What range of play do you get a /BST? What do you miss out on by subbing it instead of main?

4.) What is the difference of calling a pet familiar and taming it? How do the jugs work?
    Lowering Expectations Since Birth...

Re: A few ? about BST

1.) Because subbing RNG to BST doesn't bring many benefits... BST already has Widescan and has no Ranged skill. That and you need the ammo slot for jugs.

2.) You get no EXP for killing a pet. Well, unless you've let it regen life back to full.

3.) You can charm decently /BST, better if your BST is @ 75... You miss out on jug pets, and you don't get Leave until 70.

4.) Jug pets are generally weaker than their wild counterparts. To call a pet, you equip the jug of the desired pet in your Ammo slot and use the ability "Call Beast"
    Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
    I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

1) BST don't have any skill in ranged weapons on their own, and RNG really doesn't provide much that'd help you stay alive, like cure yourself or remove status ailments.

2) Nope.

3) It's widely speculated that your ability to charm stuff is based on the full level of your bst, even when it's subbed; I.E. a whm30/bst30 will charm better than whm30/bst15, even though it will read the same in both cases. Aside from lower chr and the loss of certain abilities (leave until 70, stay at 30, etc) it's totally possible to level a job as /bst.

4) Jug pets are weaker. You equip a broth item in the ammo slot and use the ability, and the pet will stay around for 15-30 minutes based on what jug you used. They're weaker than a charmed pet of the same level, and a few levels below you. Also, they won't attack you when they come uncharmed, simply disappear.

-sam
      "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

1.) No idea.

2.) You get NO exp if you kill a pet that becomes untamed.

3.) Why would you want to sub BST? You cannot charm the mobs you are exp'ing on.

4.) Calling a familiar (using a jug) calls a pet that is usually in the DC range. Occasionally, you'll call one that is closer to your level, but it's rare. Jugs are mainly used in emergencies, or in BCNM's. Charming a pet is almost always a better idea if you're going after normal exp mobs.
        Last edited by elanria; 11-09-2006, 07:54 AM. Reason: Tab key is NOT your friend when you're not in-game. ><
        Elanria (Shiva Server) Bastok
        75DRG
        55PLD
        LS: Outerheaven (Social)
        LS: SpiritWithin (HNM/Dynamis)
        http://after-cancer.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by elanria View Post
          3.) Why would you want to sub BST? You cannot charm the mobs you are exp'ing on.
          What do you mean? I can't charm with /BST?

Comment

Originally posted by samarium View Post
            Also, they won't attack you when they come uncharmed, simply disappear.
            I thought jug pets never come uncharmed... they just die or you "Leave" them

Yeah you can, I do it as BLM66/BST20 all the time for kicks.
            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
            I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

actually, this is a common misconception. Your chance of charm is dependent on the actual level of your BST, not the subbed level. So if your BST is 75 and you sub it on say WHM 30, there's a very good chance you'll be able to charm XP mobs (but shouldn't because it'll kill your party XP).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

So would RNG/BST be worth anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Antivomit View Post
                  Sure. You charm monsters, toss them at your target until it's weak, then Sidewinder it.

I thought jug pets never come uncharmed... they just die or you "Leave" them
                  Indeed they do - jug pets have a hidden timer. Once that timer is up the jug pet will automatically despawn, although you can force them to disappear with Leave.

-sam
                  "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

not for an XP party

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

1.) I can't find any information on BST/RNG, good or bad, why?
                      This was actually discussed in the stickie Party vs All Other Sub Discussion. Look toward the end of the 2nd page.

The folks over in the RNG forum can probably give you a lot of insight into that. They even have the same exact stickie regarding party sub vs other sub.

In general, /BST can work if you want to solo. If you want to be your best in an exp pt, there's certainly better options.
                      Lyonheart
                      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

RNG/BST would be like WoWs hunter, where your pet tanks for you and you DD with ranged attacks, if you are going to try to solo with this i would use an x-bow and the various status bolts.

Comment

If you were a lvl 9- 10 BST and you tried to fight Spiny Spipi (normally fought at around lvl 13-15 I think) would that be a hard thing to do? Or can BST charm a high enough mob to be able to fight it? And If fighting a NM or BCMN do you get full loot or does the drop rate decrease like the xp does?

Comment

Im very sure a bst could solo it, might be a little hard because of the lower level and not alot of access to higher abilitys/spells but im sure its doable, and pets do not have ANY effect on drops.

Comment

If you were a lvl 9- 10 BST and you tried to fight Spiny Spipi (normally fought at around lvl 13-15 I think) would that be a hard thing to do? Or can BST charm a high enough mob to be able to fight it? And If fighting a NM or BCMN do you get full loot or does the drop rate decrease like the xp does?
                              You could probably take Spipi by marathoning pets against it - charming everything in the area one by one and tossing it at the nm until it's dead.

Full loot as normal. Some people had once theorized that bst actually got more drops because you plus your pet equals two characters and thus two shots at the drop, but of course it was only conjecture.

And yeah, anything /bst is not for use in standard xp parties; there are far better options for party play.

-sam

My job levels and goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X