This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo PM2-3 Minotaur

Anybody have any pointers for this? I'm planning on running a couple LS mates as well as myself through this. I've made a couple attempts already.

First attempt, I didn't realize it saw all the way to the end of the hallway, got pulled in and doomed straight away.

Second attempt, I got it down to about 10-20% range, but it did Mortal Ray almost back to back (Mortal Ray > 1 attack round > /pet Fight > Draw-In > Mortal Ray again > Heel counter down > pet doomed). I have no idea why it decided to Draw-In at that point in the fight, since my pet had solid hate and I hadn't moved at all while Heel/Fighting the whole time. Looking back on this attempt, I'm going to try not to do Fight again so quickly next time, at least not until Heel timer is back up. Hopefully that should do the trick. If not, well... any other suggestions?
    Tomatoes & Tomatopotato @ Pandemonium
    My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Play golf? Check out my items.

Re: Solo PM2-3 Minotaur

I have not Soloed Minotaur, and... if possible it would be a nightmare. But... this is how i have successfuly done it twice as BST+BST+SMN.

The SMN, because... well because he is crazy, would actually Rambo it all the way to the Mino area alone. Once there, and well outside of both nearby aggro and Mino's sight, he would let us know. We... would be sitting on our lazy asses back in the area at (G-8) on the second map. This is actually where one of the Gates are, though unreachable from here. As soon as the SMN is in position, we charm and Familiar the VT-IT Slimes there.

Once we have our slimes, and we have our buffs up and are full on MP... SMN calls out Avatar, Astral Flows, and puts it on Mino. Weeee~ the other BST and myself are instantly "ported" to the fight. Once there, WAIT for Avatar to get a Bloodpact off, and grab hate... as soon as it does, put Slimes on Mino, and get into the hall.

**NOTE** The one time we did this and LOST, was because my Slime lost its mind. When i used Fight, it ran the entirely wrong way, and before i noticed he wasn't there... he was halfway across the map.

You basically stand back, out of Mow range if you can help it, and you just let the pets go to work. Avatar will have most of the hate from Astral Flow, and when it gets killed, your Slimes will tank Mino long enough (hopefully) so that the SMN can recast.

If your Slime gets Doomed, be ready to call a jug and put it on him. If Avatar gets doomed... well... who cares?! Its an Avatar!

That was how we did it twice. Simple, as long as everyone knows the plan, and no one pulls unecessary hate. When we did this the 2nd time, there was a PLD and a THF that just stood there, and watched Mino die. The rest of the Mission is a bit... cagey. =P If you don't have a Key for the Gate... a THF is a great help to pick it.
    ~Beastmaster 75 | White Mage 41 | Ninja 50~

Comment

It's definitely possible to solo the minotaur as BST, but it's very easy to get unlucky in that fight.

The only tip i could give you would be to be as careful with your heel timer as possible. To be on the safe side, wait until heel is ready before sending your pet back to fight.

The thing is though, even if you do everything flawlessly from your end it's still very possible for your pet to get doomed. If it does mortal ray at the exact same time that you use your fight command, you're pet is pretty much screwed.

The extremely conservative thing to do would be to heel the pet for mortal ray, then wait for it to do another special attack, then send it back in with {fight} command immediately after. This would probably avoid eating 99% of mortal rays, but i'm not sure you would do enough damage to kill the minotaur before he kills your pet doing it that way.

If you can drag someone out there with you (another bst with another oil preferrably), it is definitely the way to go. I ended up beating it with 2 bsts and a thf (who came along to open the gate for us after we beat it).

Comment

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.h...49468206836070

Check out this thread on Alla from last year: I posted in that thread about my duo experience. To be able to solo this thing you'd have to have a horseshoe and a Lucky Egg up your ass, plus the 4 Leaf Korrin Bud I think. At least that's the rumor! And Millionaire's Desk might help as well.... j/k

Moral of that story, solo is possible but HIGHLY Unlikely. You are more likely to get struck by lightning in Qufim. Mortal Ray is so hard to predict, sometimes he uses it occasionally in which case you might get lucky and be able to Heel that Oil Spill in time for it not to die on you. Other times it spams it ever 5-10 seconds and your precious 2 hour was all for naught and you get absolutley raped by this guy.

My advice: Go in with a well prepared party, Charm your Oil Spill and solo it for as long as you can. That's what we did in duo, and we still nearly lost. Good Luck! If you solo this sucker frap it or something cause nobody will believe it if you don't! You can tell that I loathe this fight!

BST/NIN/DRK 75

Comment

Will definitely check out that link when I get back from work. I haven't experienced the TP move spam that you did. From the last couple attempts, this is what I observed:

1) When Minotaur draws-in, it automatically does a WS, regardless of its TP.
          2) It's TP usage behavior seems to be normal otherwise.
          3) It most likely will not draw in if you and/or your pet are both in the square and within its melee range.
          4) _I think_ if you are too close to your pet when you Heel, it will not turn itself away from Mortal Ray, resulting in death.

So, I think there are three problems with soloing this:

1) Being quick enough to Heel away Mortal Ray (it's fast, but not impossible fast)
          2) Being far enough away so that your Heel actually turns your pet (this opens the window to more Draw-Ins).
          3) Being close enough so that you don't trigger Draw-In (this opens you up to Mow AoE damage).

I will try to address #3 by bringing a boat load of Hi-Pots (btw, has anybody noticed the price drop on these lately? HP+3 is like 5k on Pandy now, which used to be the NQ price), and also avoid using these when I feel a TP move is imminent. Also, for #2, I think you should ideally be positioned directly behind your slime. If you position obliquely, it won't turn as sharply, possibly opening it up to Ray.
          My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Comment

There was an old thread about this on allakhazam. The least I have ever heard of people doing it with was a duo with oil slicks, and jug pets once the slicks were doomed.

But like people say, easiest way to do this is to send 1 person to it and get aggro. It will draw in the rest of tha alliance regardless of where they are in zone immediately, then you can just go nuts and kill him quick.

Comment

Yes, I realize that. And I actually have many 40+ jobs available to do this the normal way, but to solo it would not only be fun and exciting, but it would help my LS a lot in advancing through CoP (I'm sure all of us have experienced the sheer difficulty of simply coordinating a group to get together to do something).
              My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Comment

Just did it a few moments ago.

Decided to remain inside the square, instead of staying in the tunnel, and as expected the Minotaur stopped doing its Draw-In move. This did cause me to absorb a couple Mows at the start. The potions I used to counter this did destabilize hate briefly as well, but hey, it's an IT slime, not gonna lose hate forever.

Also tried to be extra careful about my Heel angle and timing. If I couldn't get the slime engaged at an angle where I could Heel it from directly behind with a bit of room to spare, then I Heel'd and ran around inside the square a bit until pet and prey aligned themselves satisfactorily before resuming Fight. Also avoided doing Sic/Dia/Poisona/Hi-Potion when I felt the Minotaur was about to bust out some TP.

And that's it in a nutshell:

Double Post Edited:
                Oh yeah, if you're going to try this, prep your cudgel before you engage so you can jet if your slime gets doomed.
                Last edited by Tomatoes; 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Comment

Wow, that's a serious accomplishment Tomatoes. Congrats!
                  75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
                  99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
                  Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
                  FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
                  FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

I couldn't be more impressed, Tomatopotato (great name too!).

Although I do curse you because now I HAVE to do it solo (thanks!).

Good thing I love doing things solo...just don't like to be the first one for some reason.

"What other things have you accomplished solo, if you don't mind me asking?" he says, fishing for fun things to do...

Comment

Hahah, thanks. I dunno about other stuff, I don't really keep track. I've done the traditional stuff like Aquarius, and I'm still working on being able to solo G2 (need a few more levels yet). Only reason I gave this a serious attempt was because I have several shellmates that are on this or about to finish 30cap Promys, and I know how painful it can be to suffer through incompetent pickup after incompetent pickup or even just working out people's schedules to get together and try to finish a single freaking CoP mission. Anyway, I hope this can help other players out there, BST and non-BST alike. I've always felt that BST can contribute a lot help-wise, especially to social/non-HNM shells, and it was one of the reasons I picked it up (well that, and my old shell leader giving me a Signa when he quit , R.I.P. Corrin m(- -)m)
                      My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Comment

If you solo G2, I'm going to just about die.

I tried and tried and died and died and just couldn't come up with a plan that would work on the easiest of the three mobs >.<

I hated to join a pickup party and get carried through but...well...I did it, and it was soooooo boring.

I'll need a few more levels to marathon Aquarius, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X