Lullaby & Requiem woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lullaby & Requiem woes?

Could someone shed some light on my Lullaby and Requiem woes?

In meripo parties, every once and a while the Greater Colibri resist my Lullaby. It's not a huge issue but it's semi-embarassing. I have capped singing/wind skills along with several +wind gear pieces, HQ light staff, and light grip. I'm also using Mary's Horn... although this should be obvious.

Elegy (w/ HQ earth staff + grip) virtually never gets resisted.

I am guilty of being one of those people who doesn't always research enough before proposing the question; but after reading the forums all morning it looks like there are some knowledgeable people here.

And along the same lines, Requiem VI seems to get resisted a lot on high level mobs and NMs. This also annoys me something fierce. I use Hamelin Flute/Requiem Flute.

I've also experimented macro'ing in my Ixion Cloak... figuring the +magic accuracy would help. But after some testing, it didn't help much at all.

Thanks for reading, and love the forums!
    Last edited by Chromemage; 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM. Reason: Using Mary's Horn for Lullaby and Hamelin Flute/Requiem Flute for Requiem.
    Joined FFXI September 15th, 2009 | PlayStation 2/3
    Retired July 8th, 2010.
    Current Server: Unicorn
    Current Home Nation: San d'Oria (Rank 10)
    Race/Sex: Hume/(Fe)male
    Current Jobs: 80BRD, 75NIN, 59DNC, 51WHM, 43WAR, 38BLM, 38DRK

Re: Lullaby & Requiem woes?

Define every once and a while. There is always the random chance that a spell will be resisted, even with your gear and capped skill level it is possible (though very rare) for a level 1 mob to resist a spell from a lvl75 character. The odds are higher when the mob is at or higher then your level.

I'm not saying this isn't irritating or just plain stupid, just that that is the way it is.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Its really just something that can't be helped, with Colibri being so resistant to light-based magic on top of magic in general its just going to happen. Grin and bear it, really.

Even resisted, it still claims the mob. Just watch that Horde Lullaby, that's the one you don't want resisted at all and its not a good panic button. Just put up the shadows and off tank as best you can til your timers are back up.

Comment

Light Threnody is your friend
        | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
        2/5 WAR +2
        Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
          This is true... for me or for the DD WHM? lol
          Retired July 8th, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
            Doesn't matter if its Light Threnody or Aurorastorm magic, once you've capped out CHR or wind skill to its peak there's still a good chance you'll see a resist from time to time. Just ask all the BSTs with Apollo Staffs that have tried to charm Greater Colibri or just ask all the tricked-out BRDs that still get resists.

Most of the time, these BRDs aren't even packing on the CHR because its stopped mattering anyway, there's going to be that nagging chance they'll get resisted no matter what. Better to invest in other gear at that point. Not that evasion does much for BRDs there, either, but most of them seem to go with that these days.

Comment

This makes sense; I seem to get a resist ~ 1/10-12 birds.

It just totally ruins my flow as I can't just run off immediately to line up the next bird for the party. Although with that said, DD these days do insane damage it hardly matters. The bird it'll be dead in seconds if your stacking DRGs or SAMs. Rinse, repeat, and try not to let your misty red eyes go crossed!

At any rate, I feel a bit better now and will be able to shrug off the occasional resist... but I won't like it.
              Retired July 8th, 2010.

Comment

that's why it helps to have Meripo's with 2 brds one puller/buffer, one buffer/2nd sleeper... drg & sam meripos
                | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                2/5 WAR +2
                Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Chromemage View Post
                  Could someone shed some light on my Lullaby and Requiem woes?

In meripo parties, every once and a while the Greater Colibri resist my Lullaby. It's not a huge issue but it's semi-embarassing. I have capped singing/wind skills along with several +wind gear pieces, HQ light staff, and light grip. I'm also using Mary's Horn... although this should be obvious.
                  Are you eyeballing this or running a parser?

I always 'feel' that my Elegy is more accurate than my Lullaby with Greater Colibri, but the parser consistently reports both to be about the same. Because a Lullaby resist is a lot more noticeable than a Elegy resist for a BRD, I think my brain simply registers Lullaby resists as more serious and I remember them longer.

Most magic have accuracy cap of ~95%, by the way. You are supposed to fail Lullaby, one out of twenty times of so. Same with Elegy.

(I never use Requiem in merit parties... How do you find the time?)
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Requiem in general just has a shitty land rate, any longtime BRD can tell you that, mobs are either extremely easy to land it on or damn near immune, without much in between.

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                    Because a Lullaby resist is a lot more noticeable than a Elegy resist for a BRD, I think my brain simply registers Lullaby resists as more serious and I remember them longer.
                    This, Elegy resist is much less noticeable because it doesn't have a large impact on the situation, the mob is still awake and swinging at you, just faster. A Lullaby resist is a very large situational swing from a Lullaby land.

I personally rarely use Lullaby in merits anyways, I just blink tank the pull until the party takes it, this costs a few more Shihei but results in less damage lost due to melees being slept, and less instances of you getting tagged with Elegy because the last pull just woke up and took your last shadow with a return volley of Lullaby. I only sleep things if there's a link or if I'm low on health.

As BBQ noted Colibri are just pretty resistant in general, I used to pull in full haste gear to keep Elegy timer to a minimum, but recently I've had to stick to my actual debuffing set and use Battlefield Elegy in the few times when Carnage isn't up in time for the next pull.
                    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                      Requiem in general just has a shitty land rate, any longtime BRD can tell you that, mobs are either extremely easy to land it on or damn near immune, without much in between.

This, Elegy resist is much less noticeable because it doesn't have a large impact on the situation, the mob is still awake and swinging at you, just faster. A Lullaby resist is a very large situational swing from a Lullaby land.
                      Well this leads me from merit parties to some of the end game content. I've only been in Vana'diel for about 3-4 months and only have 1 lv 75... so I havn't been to anything large scale. But for endgame BRD, will our debuffs ever stick? I'm takling IT++ and whatever other badass monsters are in those endgame mystery places...
                      Retired July 8th, 2010.

Comment

There are some things that depending on the size/advancement of your shell you may end up as /BLM for, so that you can use Elemental Seal in conjunction with Troubador to near-gaurantee an Elegy stick that lasts for a large amount of time...but on your own power you should still be able to debuff *most* things with a solid skill/CHR build. Things like Salvage mobs/bosses, Limbus, Dynamis and such you really should not have too much trouble landing Elegy on(Elegy is more or less your only 'real' debuff at endgame, it's the single most powerful debuff in the game and the most important to land).

Very large high-end fights like Sky bosses/HNM may give you a bit more trouble, as some of even the oldest bosses are still very resistant if not outright immune, i.e. Genbu is just flat-out immune to Elegy, Suzaku you should be able to land on, Byakko you can land without ES but he is still very resistant and it will likely take you a few tries.

The good thing is that a fresh Elegy will always overwrite one that's already stuck as long as the remaining duration of the current one is shorter than that of the new one, so even if Elegy is already on a mob, it's still in your interests to spam away at it anytime you aren't casting something else.

Edit: As for lullaby, in any fodder-mob type of event like Dynamis/Einherjar you should have no problem landing it on anything there, most things are pretty weak to light-based sleeps. The exception being Limbus where certain non-boss zones have mobs that are about immune to it, it always sticks on undead mobs but lots of times in Apollyon the normal monster types you can't stick it on, those zones are usually pulled by a RDM instead in my experiences.
                        Last edited by Callisto; 12-30-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

As BBQ noted Colibri are just pretty resistant in general
                          Is that really the case? I pretty much hit 95% magic accuracy rate on them always, and it's not like my gears are anywhere close to amazing. (Have AF+1 hands, but still missing Relic head/Demon Helm, sea cape, Salvage gear, etc.) No Singing/Wind merits, either.

Our weekly LS merit parties used DD/NIN's, so Lullaby wasn't a problem. (It's not my BRD/NIN's duty to wake up people, either, so I don't care. lol.)
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                            Is that really the case? I pretty much hit 95% magic accuracy rate on them always, and it's not like my gears are anywhere close to amazing. (Have AF+1 hands, but still missing Relic head/Demon Helm, sea cape, Salvage gear, etc.) No Singing/Wind merits, either.

Our weekly LS merit parties used DD/NIN's, so Lullaby wasn't a problem. (It's not my BRD/NIN's duty to wake up people, either, so I don't care. lol.)
                            Compared to other mobs of the same level, yeah. BRD songs aren't too hard to land so you don't see it on those often, but other spells such as nukes show up a bit more.

I know MAcc/MEva are still kinda being figured out right now, it's my theory that different jobs have different base MEva values, with jobs like RDM and WHM being a bit higher natively(which would go a bit towards explaining why WHM mobs in Dynamis tend to resist sleep more often than other mobs), and Colibri are RDMs, so they would inherit that extra bit of evasion.

Comment

it's my theory that different jobs have different base MEva values, with jobs like RDM and WHM being a bit higher natively(which would go a bit towards explaining why WHM mobs in Dynamis tend to resist sleep more often than other mobs), and Colibri are RDMs, so they would inherit that extra bit of evasion.
                              Maybe Magic Defense Bonus also secretly contributes to Magic Evasion?
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                              X