Wind, String, Singing Skill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind, String, Singing Skill Question

My BRD is only at level 1, but i am in the process of lvling BRD strictly to 37 for a WHM sub when i do alot of lowman events with my LS (Garisson, BCNMs, etc, etc) and since i started playing FFXI i told myself i would level every job to 37, and level the jobs i had fun with to 75, while taking advantage of the fact i never have to level my subs again lol. Anyways i am a perfectionist and i hate myself for it.... so i like seeing my skills in capped or the dreaded "blue" syndrome on all my jobs. This is really annoying so please bare with me lol.

My question is.... is String, Wind, and Singing Skill capped overtime like Enhancing Magic, or can i pick a Wind instrument and debuff an IT mob with a Threnody, or Foe Requiem for skillups?

If so, can i repeat this process with every form of instrument (ex. A string instrument > debuff mobs > skillup. wind instrument > debuff mobs > skillup. No instrument (singing) > debuff mobs > skillup.)

Also, my WHM is at 75, if as a 37BRD all my wind, string, and singing skill is capped, and i go as 75WHM/37BRD will my string, singing, and wind magic be capped?

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation and patience.
    ---Trying to level everything to 37---
    75WHM, 40BLM, 37SMN, 37SCH, 32BST, 32BLU, 37DNC, 32DRK, 32DRG, 32MNK, 32NIN, 32PLD, 37RNG, 37RDM, 32SAM, 37THF, 32WAR, 40COR, 37BRD, 1PUP.
    JOBS OF INTERESTS: BLU / PLD / COR / DNC / BST. [Tarutaru][Allright!]
    Sand'O'ria: Rank 10

Re: Wind, String, Singing Skill Question

Wind and Singing will always be capped unless you're level-syncing too much. You will generally be behind on String skill as it is only used uncommonly. Many people throw threnodies with it to skill it up while levelling, but you will still probably be quite a bit behind.

My recommendation is that you throw some string while levelling but don't try too hard to keep it up. The only time you'll use it is when buffing Ballads--this is usually in a tank or BLM party.

To cap your string you need access to sea. Go and find a Hpemde (aka "dolphin") and throw Threnodies at it until String is capped. If the level sync feature has you with less than stellar Wind and Singing skill, the same technique works for them, too. It's also great for skilling up Divine magic for WHMs who aren't very good at Repose and Enfeebling for mages who don't full-time it, as well. As long as the spell you cast on the Hpemde doesn't do any damage, the Hpemde will not attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
      Wind and Singing will always be capped unless you're level-syncing too much. You will generally be behind on String skill as it is only used uncommonly. Many people throw threnodies with it to skill it up while levelling, but you will still probably be quite a bit behind.

My recommendation is that you throw some string while levelling but don't try too hard to keep it up. The only time you'll use it is when buffing Ballads--this is usually in a tank or BLM party.
      Good to know. Thank you good sir.

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
      To cap your string you need access to sea. Go and find a Hpemde (aka "dolphin") and throw Threnodies at it until String is capped. If the level sync feature has you with less than stellar Wind and Singing skill, the same technique works for them, too. It's also great for skilling up Divine magic for WHMs who aren't very good at Repose and Enfeebling for mages who don't full-time it, as well. As long as the spell you cast on the Hpemde doesn't do any damage, the Hpemde will not attack.
      Awesome, i recently unlocked sea and at first it was weird how those mobs reacted. I actually attacked one because i thought i aggroed one lol. Horrible, horrible experience learned the hard way. Thanks for the great advice, this will help me cap Divine magic, and my Enfeebling magic on WHM.

As far as my other question, just going a little off topic but if your magic is capped as your main job will it be capped if used as a subjob? For example, if your magic is capped on BRD at 37, will it be capped on my 75WHM if i sub BRD? Or do you have to level it a bit more?
      75WHM, 40BLM, 37SMN, 37SCH, 32BST, 32BLU, 37DNC, 32DRK, 32DRG, 32MNK, 32NIN, 32PLD, 37RNG, 37RDM, 32SAM, 37THF, 32WAR, 40COR, 37BRD, 1PUP.

Comment

You only have a single value for each skill, capped by the level of your main and sub job.

If you cap Enfeebling magic first on a WHM75 (225), then you will still need to recap for BLM75 (230) and RDM75 (276).

If you cap Enfeebling magic first on a BLM75 (230), then you don't need to do anything for WHM75 (225), but will need to cap for RDM75 (276).

Capping as many of your skills as possible at 75 means you don't have to worry about those skills for a long time when leveling new jobs, or at all when leveling subjobs (all 75 skills cap higher than any 37 skills).
        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I do want to point out as well: Singing skill can be skilled up even if you have an instrument. There have a been a few times in my bard career I'd get both a wind/singing or string/singing skill from the same song. So, there's no reason to unequip an instrument in order to raise singing.

And, Elwynn is correct on capped skills, but I also want to be clear on something. If you sub BST (to anything) the power of the charm is increased based on the actual level of the bst (IE, a 5Whatever/75BST can charm a bit better than a 5Whatever/2 BST). Bard skills do not work like that -- they will be capped at the skill for the level the sub is at. In other words, don't go 75WHM/75BRD and expect to land debuffs on the mob with any kind of accuracy (unless a 37 BRD could land those normally). About the most beneficial thing you get from /BRD (especially at the higher levels) are the party buffs, but even then you can only get Tier 2/3s.
          Kindadarii (Bahamut)
          90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
          70.3 + 2 Woodworking
          52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Want to point out there's an easy way to keep string skilled up.

Use harp for Finale.

Since the garrison harp that boosts finalie doesn't really give a noticeable difference, you can dispel with any instrument. Since finale is something you'll commonly cast, I'd suggest using a Finale to skill up string. It always kept me at cap. This way you can keep string skill up if you ever need to cast things like Etudes with a Rose Harp +1. Doesn't happen often, but still nice to keep those skills up.

Also want to point out as far as debuffs go wind and string skill help determine the accuracy of a debuff landing. Singing and +Song bonuses helps determine buff potency if +1 to the song, potency and duration of the +2 to the song.

Comment

Great information guys. I understand now and i didnt know about the whole BST charm is effected by the actual level of your BST, which is ok since i eventually wanted to level BST to 75 but thats an entirely different subject lol. I am also going to try the Magic Finale method mentioned by Omgwtfbbqkitten.

Although correct me if i am wrong in regards to the magic skill caps. From what Elwynn said, it all depends on what each job is ranked on certain skill correct? If WHM doesnt have any rank in Summoning Magic skill, and i have Summoning Magic skill capped on 37SMN at 114, if i were to switch to 75WHM/37SMN my Summoning Magic skill will be ranked according to what its ranked and leveled on my 37SMN right?

Please be patient with me, just want to clarify lol.
              Last edited by L boogie; 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM. Reason: Info.

Comment

Yes, it will be ranked at a lvl 37 smn

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  Since the garrison harp that boosts finalie doesn't really give a noticeable difference, you can dispel with any instrument.
                  Most of the time you mean. There are a few end game mobs (mostly HNMs really . _ .) that will occasionally resist Lullaby where the Military Harp will help, but for the most part you're correct. I find the easiest way by far to cap String Skill (and any other magic that's falling behind for that matter) is in besieged; just spam threnodies on mobs with a harp and your string skill will sky rocket.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X