Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a subjob to roleplay a tarutaru BRD with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a subjob to roleplay a tarutaru BRD with...

I was thinking on warrior, but I don't believe many taru taru in the lore are warriors. Also, I'm not mixing BRD with a subjob that would be untrue to the lore. Perhaps BST, if there are BST taru tarus, but I was told people wouldn't let me in a group because they are so picky about what my subclass is. What about BRD/RDM? Is this true to the lore?

Re: I need a subjob to roleplay a tarutaru BRD with...

What lore, specifically, are you talking about?

It's kind of an either/or situation with regards to roleplaying vs. getting into a group. You can pick a subjob that fits your roleplay ideas, or you can pick a subjob that works well in parties. For BRD, /WHM is the way to go for a long while, then later on /NIN. /RDM works all right, but not as well as /WHM in most situations. As far as party dynamics go, anyway.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

I'm not being a healer if I have to constantly listen to complaints. Is WHM easy to get the hang of? What about thief?
      I think a thief at first (I wouldn't really roleplay a thief, just somebody who knows how to use dagger) who eventually became a bard who worked in a tavern might be good.

Comment

You're posting a lot of these threads, asking about job combinations that may or may not work, so I'm just going to put in the bog standard rigmarole here:

As far as what works in party play goes, look at the stickies. Read the guides. The subjobs suggested, the job combos people request, the "standards" are standards because they work. It's not because no one's thought of playing a WHM/DRG. It's because people have tried it, over and over, and found out that it's really not very good, while the "standards" are.

If you want to try whatever combination strikes your fancy, go for it. It's your $12.95, you play whatever you want. And if what you want is to roleplay a BRD/THF, rock on Chicago. More power to you.

You're not going to get invited to many parties, though, and the ones you do get invited to are going to bitch. (Edit: Scratch that; as a Bard you will get invites no matter what. Unless there's a Bard with /WHM available. It's just that no one's going to be very happy with /THF.) Because it's their $12.95, too, and what they generally want is XP at a good rate. I'd suggest finding yourself a roleplaying linkshell, and see if you can get a static group together that doesn't mind experimenting with outside-the-box combinations; with the Signet buffs now, you wouldn't necessarily even need a full party. You'll probably advance a little slower that way, but it's up to you if that's worth giving up whatever roleplay ideas you have.

As far as healers and bitching... People are going to bitch no matter what job you play. It's just part of dealing with humans. As a healer, you're going to hear a little less of it, especially early on, because healers are that essential to a party. It's not terribly difficult to pick up. There's a good deal to remember and keep track of during fights, and you need to find a system that works for you, but once you get into the groove and know what you're doing, it's not that hard.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

The thing is us FFXI players are a picky breed...when we decide something works in party situations you're pretty much stuck to that way of doing things if you ever want to get anywhere.

BRD/WHM is accepted because the /whm sub seems to add the the Bard's support role(playing songs, ETC.). I hate healing too and I'm stuck play Summoner/WHM because no one would invite me any other way.(personlly I'd rather play with avatars more)

I thought of WHM as a necessary evil when I was doing it for a sub job...it's not hard but it gets boring to me....
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
            You're posting a lot of these threads, asking about job combinations that may or may not work, so I'm just going to put in the bog standard rigmarole here:

As far as what works in party play goes, look at the stickies. Read the guides. The subjobs suggested, the job combos people request, the "standards" are standards because they work. It's not because no one's thought of playing a WHM/DRG. It's because people have tried it, over and over, and found out that it's really not very good, while the "standards" are.

If you want to try whatever combination strikes your fancy, go for it. It's your $12.95, you play whatever you want. And if what you want is to roleplay a BRD/THF, rock on Chicago. More power to you.

You're not going to get invited to many parties, though, and the ones you do get invited to are going to bitch. (Edit: Scratch that; as a Bard you will get invites no matter what. Unless there's a Bard with /WHM available. It's just that no one's going to be very happy with /THF.) Because it's their $12.95, too, and what they generally want is XP at a good rate. I'd suggest finding yourself a roleplaying linkshell, and see if you can get a static group together that doesn't mind experimenting with outside-the-box combinations; with the Signet buffs now, you wouldn't necessarily even need a full party. You'll probably advance a little slower that way, but it's up to you if that's worth giving up whatever roleplay ideas you have.

As far as healers and bitching... People are going to bitch no matter what job you play. It's just part of dealing with humans. As a healer, you're going to hear a little less of it, especially early on, because healers are that essential to a party. It's not terribly difficult to pick up. There's a good deal to remember and keep track of during fights, and you need to find a system that works for you, but once you get into the groove and know what you're doing, it's not that hard.
            My "looking for a roleplaying linkshell" thread hasn't had any useful replies, and it's been up for 2-4 days already .

Comment

Originally posted by omera View Post
              My "looking for a roleplaying linkshell" thread hasn't had any useful replies, and it's been up for 2-4 days already .
              Yeah, I'm afraid I'm no direct help there, either. Only thing I can suggest is to try some of the other (generally more populous) forum sites.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              . . .

Comment

BRD/WHM and BRD/NIN are the normal accepted combinations for partying. I've played around with BRD/THF and it's pretty decent with some DEX/Eva+ gear.

I've been wanting to even try out BRD/NIN dual-wielding 'cuz I think it'll do pretty well, and the idea of Hojo + Elegy combined is nice.
                Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

BRD/WHM is the standard and many parties will appreciate the fact that you have it prepared to play the role. This is BRD in its most true supporting role and while it might have fallen out of vogue for EXP, it will be expected from you in high level activities.

BRD/NIN is also common these days, but it is primarily for a pulling function for intermediate to high level EXP PTs in which BRD pulls with Elegy and sleeps mobs to keep them lined up for high EXP chains. This is a very popular way to play the job, HOWEVER, it has lead many many MANY so-called BRDs to neglect the other thing people invite them for - buffs.

A result of that trend is that many melees now complain that BRDs make no real effort to buff with their skills in mind, often just throwing out a madrigal or march and calling it a day.

It helps a great deal to realize the strengths and weaknesses of each job, what gear and food they use and then buff accordingly. Don't be surprised if a RNG snaps at you for giving him Prelude or if a MNK gets a little ticked about not getting march and minuet. It pays to know what buffs suit each job.

Finally, BRD/BST. It is an effective combo, but it is a long, hard journey to earn. BRD/BST is quite possibly the ultimate crowd-controller of the game (not just BRD itself). However, BST is a funky subjob that does not play by the rules of other subjobs. The level of your BST has to be the same level as your BRD for Charm to function at its fullest as BRD/BST. Meaning 75 BRD and 75 BST before you can charm effectively as 75BRD/37BST. If you're 75BRD/37BST and have BST at 37, mobs will eat you if you try to charm them.

I tried BRD/BST myself before taking BST past 40, the results were not pretty. Wajoam Tigers ate my BRD. but my BST and RDM are both 65 right now and I could sub BST and charm with little to no problem whatsoever.

BST is the hardest job in the game to level. Its not going to be a quick trip to 75 like BRD can be, so this combo isn't something to ponder lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by omera View Post
                    I was thinking on warrior, but I don't believe many taru taru in the lore are warriors. Also, I'm not mixing BRD with a subjob that would be untrue to the lore. Perhaps BST, if there are BST taru tarus, but I was told people wouldn't let me in a group because they are so picky about what my subclass is. What about BRD/RDM? Is this true to the lore?
                    This is FFXI, not 2nd Edition AD&D. No one is restricted in what jobs they can play by race. Just because storywise tarus favor the three core mage classes, elvaan are more into WAR and PLD, and mithra favor THF and RNG doesn't mean that you can't make things make sense in some other way as an RPer. It's all a matter of putting together a background that makes sense.

That being said, expect a long, hard road finding people who even have a clue what role-playing is, let alone are willing to actually RP with you. The FFXI community is not the most RP-heavy in the world, likely in part due to being based on a rather mainstream franchise and thus attracting lots of people who have no idea that there's any kind of RPG aside from console RPGs. I'm only part of a RPLS at all because I and an RPing friend specifically joined a server where another friend who I knew RPed was. Not everyone's going to have such a leg up.

Note that you may have to level subjobs other than the ones you see as the "true" ones for your character in order to compete. FFXI's community can be highly, scathingly unforgiving when it comes to subjob choices. Some players, though, will actually listen to a well-reasoned justification for an unusual subjob choice -- just keep in mind that "it's in character" doesn't count.

Some things to keep in mind when chosing a subjob for BRD:

* BRDs don't melee. They're not particularly good at it, and they need the freedom to move back and forth to play the proper songs for the front line and the back line. This rules out BRD/WAR and BRD/THF as practical choices.
                    * BRD's only native magical skills are its musical ones. Therefore, spells that depend significantly on skill level, especially offensive ones, will be weaker. /BLM is thus not a good sub for them (or for anyone other than WHM or RDM, really).
                    * BRD is traditionally a supporting job. This makes a subjob that provides or enables other means of support desireable.

Of the subjobs you listed in the OP, I'd suggest /RDM -- though it won't really hit its stride until BRD30/RDM15, when you get Fast Cast. Fast Cast speeds up your frankly rather long songs; also, RDM provides you with some Cures to help the main healer with in emergencies.

Since you seem to have worked on the assumption that BRDs melee, I have to wonder if the revelation that they can't really do so and still do their jobs properly changes things for you any. If you want a support-type job that does actually hit the mob, I suggest Corsair instead; CORs can only buff once per minute, so have plenty of time in between to shoot at their enemies with guns. -- Pteryx
                    Last edited by Pteryx; 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

That being said, expect a long, hard road finding people who even have a clue what role-playing is, let alone are willing to actually RP with you. The FFXI community is not the most RP-heavy in the world, likely in part due to being based on a rather mainstream franchise and thus attracting lots of people who have no idea that there's any kind of RPG aside from console RPGs. I'm only part of a RPLS at all because I and an RPing friend specifically joined a server where another friend who I knew RPed was. Not everyone's going to have such a leg up.
                      Its not really the fact that this is a console franchise, its more to the effect that a lot of people who roleplay are terrible at it and don't behave in context to the world around them. If you're gonna roleplay a Elvaan Paladin from San'doria, fine, BE a Elvaan PLD from San'doria. Don't be a medieval Knight from the crusades or Goku from Dragon Ball Z.

Because that isn't roleplaying, that's just being a moron.
                      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                        Its not really the fact that this is a console franchise, its more to the effect that a lot of people who roleplay are terrible at it and don't behave in context to the world around them. If you're gonna roleplay a Elvaan Paladin from San'doria, fine, BE a Elvaan PLD from San'doria. Don't be a medieval Knight from the crusades or Goku from Dragon Ball Z.

Because that isn't roleplaying, that's just being a moron.
                        I haven't seen anyone on Midgard "roleplay" like that. I've seen macros like that, but that's not real role-playing. Any RPer who hopes to keep their sanity won't attempt to RP through your typical XP party or count most macro spam as being in-character.

Role-playing is when you actually make an activity out of pretending to be your character, a concept that tends to be met with a "huh?" on Midgard. RP doesn't get you XP or awesome endgame gear, after all. On the bright side, almost nobody complains about role-playing upon actually seeing it, either. -- Pteryx

Comment

OP, just wait for Dancer and got roleplay as a BRD/DCR aspiring idol performing in taberns in San d'oria waiting for his/her break.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

If you seriously want to RP, I'd look for a different game. FFXI is very unfriendly to roleplaying, it's practically unheard of, and there's a very real possibility you will be mocked if you try to RP in game with anyone outside an RP LS.

there are much better games out there for RPing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
                              I'm only part of a RPLS at all because I and an RPing friend specifically joined a server where another friend who I knew RPed was. Not everyone's going to have such a leg up.
                              Question

If you're part of an active RPls why not invite the OP? Now that anyone can jump to any server at a whim, it's easier for RPers to gather together. And when you have a nice group going, things become much easier to accomplish while RPing.

Me, I sorta 'half-RP' where my in game character has his own personality and every day functions are done as an RPer...it's just not something I do constantly 100% or really go around being active about. But there are traits I show, like wearing numerous city based gear in towns to show off his national pride, or arranging my MH with more of a 'living space' type feel rather then being a simple storage space. And just generally bringing character traits from my character into my play style.

Long story short, no one can full time RP in this game and there will be times when it's best to lvl things that story wise won't make sense...unless you're smart enough to work out why you're doing it into your story.
                              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
                              X