No brd love in BCNM runs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No brd love in BCNM runs?

I don't know if someone made a similar thread already but I'm sitting on a stack seals and find no way to use it. My only high lvl and geared job is Brd, now I'm lvl 73 and have a hard time making money, I wanna lvl nin as sub for my brd but won't be able to afford it right now.
    As for BCNMs I got a few invites but they all turned into "nvm, I think a rdm would be better for that" etc. In my whole brd career I've never done a single BCNM. ><

Re: No brd love in BCNM runs?

BRD is great for EXP PTs, but its a tough fit in a lot of BCNM and CoP missions because you have a time limit. When you're in a time limit situation like that you want roles that are either good with spike damage numbers or versitile in role.

I've run some of the same BCNMs as RDM, BRD and COR and wish I could say BRD was as good as the other two, but when one adds to the damage pool and buffs and the other lends well to buffs and healing, BRD is just kinda screwed there because they just have buffs and a horribly tiny manapool.

There are some BCNMs BRD does OK in and those are the ones that favor a balanced PT approach. BCNMs like Steamed Sprouts, Dismemberment Brigade or any Beastmen-based BC BRD does pretty well in. But BRDs crowd control talents are also usually outshined by BLM because many BCNM mobs are susceptable to Dark-based sleep, its just stronger and more reliable than what BRD has.

BRD does good in the Copycat KSNM and any BCNM where charm comes into play, too. Dispel and Sleep are needed for those types of BCNM. Just remember that many people favor /NIN in such BCs and to use Horde instead of Foe Lullaby when sleeping them.

That aside, I'd never bank on just one job for BCNM purposes. Yes, the community is partially to blame for being stubborn and following a cookie-cutter approach, but then, nobody wants to see their hard-earned seals go down the drain, either. At any rate, its good to be flexible yourself. RNG, SMN, WHM, RDM, BLM, NIN and PLD are almost always welcome in a BCNM.

Don't take a NIN to KSNM30 Copycat tho... NM copies two hours and .... um... yeah. Boom. Wiped PT.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 07-20-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

The BRD's in my LS were always trying to find excuses not to get dragged to yet another BCNM40 "Steamed Sprouts". (It's one of our favorite BCNM; the set up is always: DRK, BRD, RDM, healer, DD x2.)
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        The BRD's in my LS were always trying to find excuses not to get dragged to yet another BCNM40 "Steamed Sprouts". (It's one of our favorite BCNM; the set up is always: DRK, BRD, RDM, healer, DD x2.)
        Well, yeah, that's because the BRD pretty much sleeps everything and has to hope he won't die when they wake up.

Notice I left that detail out in my reccomendation of that BCNM

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
          Well, yeah, that's because the BRD pretty much sleeps everything and has to hope he won't die when they wake up.

Notice I left that detail out in my reccomendation of that BCNM
          That's why our set up always have a RDM plus one more healer: RDM is dedicated to keep the BRD alive. (The DRK is our stunner and tank. It's hard to peal those little critters from the BRD after 4-5 rounds of lullaby--Provoke + Stun usually does the trick--if not, DRK can whack hard it with his scythe.)
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Don't worry about BCNMs.. BRD is plenty useful in the endgame scene, so jump into that, bank the points that the LS gives you and use em to bid on Shining Cloths, Damascus Ingots, and the like.

That is.. if you don't want gods gear..
            Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
            Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
            Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Not all endgame shells let people bid craft items, some use that stuff for LS bank or to prioritize member needs, such as Noble Tunics for WHMs. It varies with each linkshell, so you'd have to research each LS a bit before getting your hopes up on making gil from doing gods and HNM, I know people that don't make gil from that at all.

Limbus, on the other hand, can generate you some gil depending on how you go about it. But there are compelling reasons to hold on to the ancient beastcoins, depending on your jobs and progress. BRD AF+1 is pretty nice, so I wouldn't go off selling those coins right away.

Comment

The main difference that I see is that in BCNM, the refresher spot is usually responsible for either sleeping or kiting at least one if not multiple enemies. Many BCNM mobs will build resistance to certain kinds of sleep if you use it multiple times on them. Sleep and Light Shot both last much longer than Lullaby, so you'll get more time before the mob builds up resistance. BRD can also have trouble kiting a monster for an extended amount of time, compared to a RDM who usually has enough tricks to buy themselves more time.

Look into getting into a KSNM 30 group though. I'm sure there's at least one BLM group who could use a dedicated refresher on a weekly basis that will give you a cut of the earnings.
                Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I always find it hilarious when brd's complain about anything.

Brds are great for just about everything. Maybe some bcnm are just geared towards other jobs more since they involve specific strategies but, for the most part brd is pretty useful in all situations.
                  Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                  ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Guess I'll do some KSNM runs later on since I don't see myself in a BCNM party. >.>
                    I'll save the seals tho so I have more to burn when I start lvling another job.

Comment

Working...
                    X