Rebuilding my BRD, any new additions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding my BRD, any new additions?

I finally reached a point where my two characters have achieved a nice overlap between jobs and gear, so I've considered rebuilding my 75 BRD to help out some friends who have reached endgame. I'm aware of the Walhara Turban and Yigit body are some of the newer pieces of benefit, though they look rather situational.

I'm just curious what else is new for BRD from ToA, really. Most of what I have on BRD as of now is just the rare/ex I left off with. Didn't collect much in endgame for BRD, so what is there is all rather standard EXP stuff. Working on getting back my HQ instruments, Errant body and some of the Shi'ar now.

Also, is it known if there are instruments for the new meritable songs? And while I'm at it, are Troubador and Nightengale really worth a damn? It doesn't seem like it giving the nature of buff rotations on BRD.

EDIT: This thread is about NEW (read: ToA) gear. I am only inquiring about new non-endgame gear and the new merit abilities. For those posting your gear from sky, sea, limbus and Dynamis: Congratulations on getting it, however, posting all the gear I already knew about is not terribly helpful information. My BRD is for LS functionality *only* and I have no intentions to compete with career BRDs in my LS for endgame gear.

I once aspired to be a career BRD and I know the job quite well, but I developed new job interests (COR, BST) and wouldn't consider it fair to work toward BRD gear others could use when my COR would eventually replace it in endgame functions anyway.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 09-09-2006, 09:34 AM. Reason: because this was turning into a "Pimp my BRD" thread.

Re: Rebuilding my BRD, any new additions?

I guess it depends on what you do. It sounds like your concept of BRD is limited to what BRD does in old style XP PTs.

You seem to talk about situational gears and such as if they are less important. Really, for bard, situational is a way of life. I don't use the new meritable songs and abilities that much but I sure am glad I have them when I do use them. I use my Wahlara Turban even less but I'm still glad I've got it when I do.

It's hard to answer questions about what gear to aim at without having a better idea of what you want to do with your BRD.
    A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

Originally posted by Yeargdribble View Post
      I guess it depends on what you do. It sounds like your concept of BRD is limited to what BRD does in old style XP PTs.

You seem to talk about situational gears and such as if they are less important. Really, for bard, situational is a way of life. I don't use the new meritable songs and abilities that much but I sure am glad I have them when I do use them. I use my Wahlara Turban even less but I'm still glad I've got it when I do.

It's hard to answer questions about what gear to aim at without having a better idea of what you want to do with your BRD.
      Ok, I'll make it easier: What other, if any, new gear is there? I'm all about getting situational gear, too, I'm just seeing what else new is out there so I can prioritize.

As for the "old style" EXP PT comment - I was doing TP Burns well over a year ago, even after the RNG update. Rampage PT/Melee Burn is nothing new, there are just more places to do them now than there were six months ago.

Comment

Hmm...well, considering I'm an armor nut, I can list for you what I have and what I want...maybe that helps...I only have one horn, took me over 18months to get it, but I don't even carry a harp anymore (I know ::Gasp:...

Anyway, what I have:

HQ Light, Dark, Earth staff - I consider HQ Dark a total luxury, since my brd rarely /heal, but its nice to have.

I don't farm with BRD, so only have Joyeus as a "real" weapon if needed.

Horns - From what I know, there were some lower level +2 horns added that are ok. Requiem Flute (Requiem +4) is a nice addition as well.

Head - Turban when I need the extra HP/MP, BRD roundlet, Kabuto (HP)

Neck - Singing/Wind Torque, Star Necklace

Earrings - Musical Earring, Melody +1, Singing/Wind Earrings

Body - Sha'ir, Osode, Choral +1, Normally, I like the Choral +1, but osode gives better DEF when pulling.

Hands - Choral +1, Sheikh (I really REALLY want these!)

Back - Jesters, Intensifying (when pulling), would LOVE a birdman cape, but no one seems to knw where it comes from. Sometimes errant if I think I could pull hate.

Belt - Gleeman's

Legs - Choral +1, Sheikh, Mahatma, depending on situations

Feet - Bards Feet, Sha'ir

Rings - 2x heavens; sometimes for HNMs when Im not trying to land debuffs, I switch to -emnity gear.

As far as new abilities, I have found them of limited use for ME...I didn't get the -emnity song, since I figured that most mages are going to want double ballad from me. Troubadour I have found useful in 3 situations: When you need stuff to sleep for a long time, extending the duration of songs when you 2hr, and switching between parties in an alliance to do multiple songs.

Comment

OK, I did see that Requiem Flute you mentioned in the AH theother night. I take the +4 is to mean even more duration and DoT than Hamelin Flute?

Requiems I've never seen make a big difference, but then, at 75 in merits things die too quick for DoTs to matter. Not really called to use it on HNMs/Gods either. Still, if it makes a signifigant difference, I may look into it because while Requiem by itself was never impressive, a two houred one is rather nasty.

As for that sky, dynamis and limbus gear. Yeah sure, I'll be picking that up from the AH ASAP

Seriously tho, i guess you could say my BRD is going to exist more for LS functionality, I no longer really consider myself a "career" BRD. That's not to say I wouldn't consider working on Bard's Roundlet or the AF1+1 stuff, though. But I want the career BRDs in my LS to have the really good stuff. My COR will eventually replace BRD in endgame functions, anyway, so I'm just looking to achieve/obtain some respectable, though not the most amazing, gear.

Comment

ok my gear >.>
            Weapons All hq staffs >.< I am smn so I have those for a main reason but I only really use 3 of them along with joy toy and genbu shield
            Head Turban and Bard af2
            Horns ah the basics, a few hq staffs for higher level partys and hnm
            Neck Star neck
            Body Osode and bard af2
            hands Sha'ir and Bard af2
            Legs Sha'ir and Bard af2
            Feet Rost pumps and bard af2+1
            rings angel and bq ring
            belt glee
            back jester+1
            ear beastly and insomnia
            http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?102891

Server:Hades
            http://www.myffxi.com/Thott