Make your own FFXI job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make your own FFXI job!

Just as the tittle says. Make your own job in FFXI, that you have always wanted to see in the game. It could be anything that does anything. Its just something that I always wanted to see. Always wanted to know what others would want in the game to make it 'better'. I have two jobs that I alway wanted to see in the game though. And I would LOVE to see them used, but SE wont make them, well I don't think they will anyways. But one is a Fencer, and the other is an Assassin job (Kinda like ninja, but more damage.)

Fencer: Can tank or deal damage. Can not dual wield, and can only use Rapier type swords. They receive penalties when using two weapons. They can tank by using "Stances", and each does a different animation. They receive a provoke like ability in defense as well as increase dodge, parry, and counter. In defensive, they gain increased damage, accuracy, and attack speed. They gain Attack, and defense bonus as traits +5, and increased by 5 each tier to attack, and def. They receive a second Tier stance upon reaching level 50. Offensive increases their abilities even further, but increases cit hit rate. Defensive decreases crits they receive, and increase enmity gain, as well as increased counters.

Assassin: Gains Dual Wield at lvl 10, just like ninja. Can use most one handed weapons, as well as a few two handed ones as well. Shadow as a trait which increases crit hit rate, and damage they deal from behind. They gain evasion bonus, but have low defense. They get a total of 3 tiers of Dual Wield. They have high throwing weapon skill (Can use most throwing type weapons), and have increased damage from throwing weapons. When they throw a weapon, they have a 5% chance of not using their thrown weapon, increasing by 5% every 15 levels after level 5.

So, what ideas do you all have?

Re: Make your own FFXI job!

Ancient thread (it pretty much dates itself from the get-go), but here you go.

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
    (Kinda like ninja, but more damage.)
    I'm not going to give a serious critique of your ideas, but common sense says that it's pretty poor to define a job as "like this job, but better!" Why not just make that job better? It's what shot down Viking ideas back in the day - the idea has been done (or at least attempted) with Warrior.

Even S-E themselves could learn from that. Assassin was a broken freaking job in the only game I've seen it in, and even in FFXI, far too many players these days take up Red Mage as "like White Mage, but better!" At least the level cap increase should finally fix that, at any rate (see avatar/forum title).
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

I'd rather redesign WAR than make a new tank job.

I might take a shot at that later.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
        I'm not going to give a serious critique of your ideas, but common sense says that it's pretty poor to define a job as "like this job, but better!" Why not just make that job better? It's what shot down Viking ideas back in the day - the idea has been done (or at least attempted) with Warrior.
        I'm not saying its better. Its like ninja, but just more focused on the damage dealing than tanking like most ninjas are now. I didn't say it was better just more damage is all.

Comment

Ancient thread (it pretty much dates itself from the get-go), but here you go.
          I remember that thread, I posted at least 5 job concepts in it. Though they'd probably need to be retweaked now to balance better in game...and one was already added in a completely different fashion by SE (I still think my idea is bettererer! )...they're still pretty decent ideas imo. But then again, I am kind of biased about it....

As for the OP:

Fencer seems like what FFXI's War was supposed to be and what FFXIV's Gladiator will be. As stated by others, it would probably be better to tweak War into the Offensive/Defensive "stance" class it was originally aimed to be but fell so sort on accomplishing.

And Assassin is just Ninja with no spells and Ambush, not really much meat to that job concept.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            I'd rather redesign WAR than make a new tank job.
            Pretty much. It's practical, pragmatic, and potentially plausible.

Why don't you just say that you want Ninja to get a boost to Innin or something to that effect? We all already know you're an advocate for Ninja DD, so just go ahead and say that's what you want rather than try to make a new job based off of what you wanted the pre-existing job to be. It's why I shall forever </3 Malacite for his broken Mystic Knight nonsense.
            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
            Matthew 16:15

Comment

Taru ChocoPoo-Scooper... Moogle Tax Adjuster... Elvaan tailor of Big n' Tall... Galka potion tester... Mithra call-kitty ... um... oooops... maybe I missed the point.
              FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
              FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
              aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Why don't you just say that you want Ninja to get a boost to Innin or something to that effect? We all already know you're an advocate for Ninja DD, so just go ahead and say that's what you want rather than try to make a new job based off of what you wanted the pre-existing job to be. It's why I shall forever </3 Malacite for his broken Mystic Knight nonsense.
                Honestly, even though I don't play Nin, I would love to see Innin get some boosts. Mainly because once the level cap is raised, it'll mean I'll finally get some sort of offensive boost from /Nin to my Thf besides DW2. Which, in effect, would more or less create the "assassin" class he suggested. That is, if you were silly enough to invest merits into Ambush.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                  Honestly, even though I don't play Nin, I would love to see Innin get some boosts. Mainly because once the level cap is raised, it'll mean I'll finally get some sort of offensive boost from /Nin to my Thf besides DW2. Which, in effect, would more or less create the "assassin" class he suggested. That is, if you were silly enough to invest merits into Ambush.
                  Yea. I may actually finish leveling ninja. (Well to at least lvl 49), just for the innin with Sam/ninja. Will be a bit powerful, and Sams will generate less hate as well. Would be nice.

But thats off topic though... lol

Comment

I've always liked the idea of a Chocobo knight.
                    However as for abilities and traits I have no idea lol.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

I was thinking prestige jobs. Maybe a quest for to unlock the last 9 levels (90-99). They would be a current job upgrade but with focus on the jobs strengths. When prestige you will get the jobs original 2hour and a new 24 hour job abillity. It would be like FFI but you can choose from 3 paths.
                      For example:

WAR:
                      - Sellsword: Focus would be on offensive
                      - Defender: Focus would be on defensive(tanking)
                      - Knight: Focus on both but both are reduced compared to Mercenary and Defender

BLU:
                      - Awakened: Focus on BLU magic
                      - Blade Singer: Focus on Melee
                      - Guardian: Focus on both but are reduced compared to Awakened and Blade Singer
                      PSN ID: Kelshan
                      Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
                      Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
                      sigpic

Comment

Geomancer. Uses Earth and Fire magics, as well as additional Earth and Fire job abilities to aid in damage mitigation. It would have Axe and Shield Mastery job traits before 37 so it could also be used as a sub for Warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by Losrase View Post
                          I was thinking prestige jobs. Maybe a quest for to unlock the last 9 levels (90-99). They would be a current job upgrade but with focus on the jobs strengths. When prestige you will get the jobs original 2hour and a new 24 hour job abillity. It would be like FFI but you can choose from 3 paths.
                          For example:

WAR:
                          - Sellsword: Focus would be on offensive
                          - Defender: Focus would be on defensive(tanking)
                          - Knight: Focus on both but both are reduced compared to Mercenary and Defender

BLU:
                          - Awakened: Focus on BLU magic
                          - Blade Singer: Focus on Melee
                          - Guardian: Focus on both but are reduced compared to Awakened and Blade Singer
                          Job upgrades really wouldn't work in FFXI, especially if they were specialized branch type upgrades. As is, there's already 20 classes, many of them specifically built to be flexible, if you were to do the whole multiple-branch upgrade tree thing, you would need the same amount of potential upgrades for all jobs, exponentially increasing the amount of jobs. Then each branch would need it's own specialized set of abilities and skills, which would exponentially increase the amount of abilities and skills SE would have to add and balance within the game. There's also job changing to consider, as FFXI's job system is very open and unlimited, but specialized branch upgrades would need a limit, otherwise it would be pretty pointless to even have the whole branching system.

To do an upgrading system, you would have to add no less then 20 "new" classes,(60 if you go with a three branch system) and then give them all a myriad of new abilities and skills to differentiate them from their original classes. It's just so much easier to just give any new abilities to the existing classes and not have to worry about upgrading anything but gear.

Edit: I just decided to re-read through some of the ideas I posted in that old thread, and I realized how out of date some of em were, Chemist and Geomancer especially. I streamlined some of them a while back to make them much more interesting but I guess I never updated them in that thread...
                          Last edited by Ziero; 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                            Job upgrades really wouldn't work in FFXI, especially if they were specialized branch type upgrades. As is, there's already 20 classes, many of them specifically built to be flexible, if you were to do the whole multiple-branch upgrade tree thing, you would need the same amount of potential upgrades for all jobs, exponentially increasing the amount of jobs. Then each branch would need it's own specialized set of abilities and skills, which would exponentially increase the amount of abilities and skills SE would have to add and balance within the game. There's also job changing to consider, as FFXI's job system is very open and unlimited, but specialized branch upgrades would need a limit, otherwise it would be pretty pointless to even have the whole branching system.

To do an upgrading system, you would have to add no less then 20 "new" classes,(60 if you go with a three branch system) and then give them all a myriad of new abilities and skills to differentiate them from their original classes. It's just so much easier to just give any new abilities to the existing classes and not have to worry about upgrading anything but gear.
                            What I meant is you can pick one of the three. Two are extremes and one is the same path as the original job but with a different name.

To be honest SE will have to do balancing anyway since they are increase the level from 75-99 and adding new abilities/spells to each job.
                            PSN ID: Kelshan
                            Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
                            Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X