Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basically: everything is compatible, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basically: everything is compatible, right?

Hi all!

I was just wondering: you can basically combine all main jobs with all sub jobs, right? I know that does not mean all sub jobs are right for your main job. For instance, I read WHM is not really good as a sub for a MNK, but WAR is. I am almost at that level I can choose a subjob (lvl 18, right?) and I still don't know what to do. I have read through a lot of posts, but the following combinations I actually have not seen:

MNK/DRG
    MNK/Blue Mage
    MNK/DNC
    MNK/Puppetmaster
    MNK/SUM
    MNK/Ranger
    MNK/Scholar
    MNK/DKN
    MNK/COR
    Are these combinations not good, or maybe they have not been discussed yet, I don't know. What do you guys think is a good combination? I welcome all advice. I'm actually thinking of MNK/DRG, but I could be completely missing the point here... Can a Ranger shoot from further away (like sniping?)

Thanks!
    Life is good, Final Fantasy is better...

Silverlance on Leviathan (Hume MNK)

Re: Basically: everything is compatible, right?

I will explain why those do not work:

/DRG offers little other than some accuracy bonus and the Jump attacks, it might be good early on but eventually becomes weak compared to other options.

/BLU's only benefit are the stats that it adds to your job when equipping certain spells, however they are really not enough to make up for it. You can cast spells as /BLU but because of the nature of a MNK, not having a native MP pool makes it next to worthless to sub BLU in regular situations, also it might be really hard to land a Blue spell due to resistances, unless you carry around certain types of equipment, which will in turn belittle your main job as a MNK.

/DNC is actually good for any melee job, just not usually a good setup for regular parties, /DNC is better for small parties because with that subjob you can be a healer and a DD at the same time, however if you're planning on subbing DNC, be prepared to store your TP instead of unleashing damaging skills on the enemy because a DNC heals himself/others at the cost of TP, and if youre subbing DNC, people are expecting you to heal, otherwise you should have subbed something else.

/PUP is a viable for soloing at early levels (1-15), other than that i'm afraid it might be next to worthless in most situations next to other subs.

/SMN isn't good at all for a MNK, again not having a native MP pool puts a strain on what you can do with this subjob.

/RNG is also worthless, MNKs have little ranged skill and the abilities RNG offers are not even close to being that useful to a MNK.

/SCH is again a combination that will most likely not work due to, again, the fact that MNK does not have a native MP pool.

/DRK isn't a bad sub for MNK or other jobs actually, it gives you a noticeable attack bonus and some worthwhile skills, but people still prefer other combinations.

/COR same as RNG, with the added benefit of having certain buffs that benefit you and your party, but that isnt nearly as useful as other combinations.

You want to keep these subjobs at the ready:

/WAR /NIN /SAM /DRK /THF /DNC

In that order of importance, imo.

- WAR is your staple subjob for any Melee class, it just works.
    - NIN is your alternative for when you're in a situation where you're expecting to take lots of hits, like soloing or in small parties or other events.
    - SAM is an attractive sub because of certain skills it provides and the added bonuses.
    - DRK is also a viable sub to any melee DD class.
    - THF is useful in more than one situation, everyone should have this job to 37, even mage types.
    - DNC is your soloing staple, nothing is better than DNC for soloing in my opinion.
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

While any sub job CAN be used, most don't add anything beneficial to the job, other will only add something to it in limited situations.

For example MNK/WHM can be used for stronger chi blasts, against 99% of mobs the benefits that you'll loose from the extra attack power, job abilities and double attack of /WAR are much more significant.

MNK/DRK can also be useful in some zerg fights, using 100 fists and soul eater (with 1 or more people dedicated to keeping you from killing yourself) but again that's only in limited circumstances.

MNK/DRG doesn't really work. I have seen it used (once or twice) and it does offer some nice traits, Attack Bonus and Accuracy Bonus, but for a MNK /WAR is a better choice, maybe /THF for SATA weapons skills in the later levels.

Ranger don't have any extra range on to weapons but they do have a better choice of ranged weapons, job abilities suited to ranged attacks and job traits to increase their accuracy. MNK/RNG doesn't really work (if that's what you were thinking) since MNK don't get access to ranged weapons.

Comment

MNK/DRG
        MNK/Blue Mage
        MNK/DNC
        MNK/Puppetmaster
        MNK/SUM
        MNK/Ranger
        MNK/Scholar
        MNK/DKN
        MNK/COR
        MNK subs that actually work:

MNK/WAR - this is the standard combo, works for a reason - WAR boosts MNK's ability to deal damage with abilities like Berzerk, Warcry and so on.

MNK/RNG: This works OK in the 20s if you're struggling with Accuracy, as RNGs get the Accuracy Bonus Trait the earliest. It's not going to be helpful for the long term, but if you're struggling at 20, go with it for a little while til your skills catch up.

MNK/DNC: This is going to be better for MNK than any mage subjob as it provides MNK with curative abilities without the need to use MP. Rather, you'll be using the Dancer subjob to cure yourself with TP instead.

MNK/NIN: Not a casual combination, but commonly used in high level merit PTs or situations where a MNK may be required to tank. /NIN would aid them in mitigating damage through the spell Utsusemi.

The combinations you listed, MNK/RNG notwithstanding, generally do not work or add anything useful to MNK as a main job. While support skills look nice on paper, MNK isn't really a supporting role. Only way they can be remotely useful in support is if they sub DNC

Comment

Dear Balfree and Kafeen, thanks a thousand times for your replies! This has certainly made my choice a lot easier and I bet other MNKs will benefit from your advice too!

Thanks again!

Comment

Probably the only truly incompatible combination is the infamous DRG/SMN

(Healing Wyvern + No Spells castable w/ Wyvern out FTL)

A lot of combinations though are simply what could be termed as fatally lackluster; subjobs have the potential to bring so much to the table, that people won't even consider something whose benefits aren't clearly competitive.

As a general rule of thumb, though, MP-bearing subjobs tend to synergize better with MP-bearing main jobs as mentioned. Otherwise, Job Traits are the place to look when spells/abilities aren't the clear issue. Note that Job Traits do not stack; you cannot get Attack Bonus benefits on WAR30 by subbing DRK or DRG (Although you could get such a benefit 20-29, and WAR60+ could benefit from /DRK's Attack Bonus II). Similarly, PLD/WAR would offer no additional Defense Bonus (though there are other reasons for PLD to sub WAR)

Also, when looking at spells and abilities, look at whether level effects them. A lot of subbed abilities lose effectiveness at post-dunes/qufim levels because they are limited in effectiveness by the subjob's effective level. Those abilities that are unaffected by the subjob level are considerably more valuable at high levels.

Incidentally, BRD and COR both make excellent subjobs for the 1-10 level range. I've also heard very good things about PUP in that regard. Many things work at low levels that do not work later.
            Last edited by Lunaryn; 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM. Reason: Forgot Attack Bonus II
            Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
            DRK99,DNC91,THF90
            Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
            Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
            WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
            Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
            All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
            Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
            Clothcraft 24
            Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
            BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

(Healing Wyvern + No Spells castable w/ Wyvern out FTL)

A lot of combinations though are simply what could best be termed as fatally lackluster; subjobs have the potential to bring so much to the table, that people won't even consider something whose benefits aren't clearly competitive.
              Hey, it still gets status cure breaths =P

Comment

We occasionally have to ask a melee to come /dnc for Einherjar. It really depends on if we are low on support or not but its nice for helping remove status effects at the very least. So silly as it seems, /dnc can be a benefit to the ls.

Also, yes your subjob will be available at 18 but only after you do a quest. There are 2 quests to choose from, one in Mhaura and one in Selbina. Choose the city where you happen to be exping at. For Selbina, you'll need 3 items that you can collect while exping, Crab Apron from crabs, Damselfly worm from Damselflies, and Magiked Skull from Ghouls. The last is by far the hardest to get and you may need help or need to band together with other people that need it and hit Gusgen Mines.

Selbina: Elder Memories - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Mhaura: The Old Lady - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki
                Last edited by TheGrandMom; 04-01-2009, 10:47 AM.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

The less common SJ quest from Mhaura requires items you get can xping in Buburimu: Dhalmel Saliva, Wild Rabbit Tail, and Bloody Robe. That last one drops from Bogy, so you may need help getting it too; it's found in a number of zones but isn't quite as easy to come by as Ghouls in Gusgen.
                  Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                  DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                  Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                  Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                  WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                  Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                  All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                  Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                  Clothcraft 24
                  Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                  BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

The Bloody Robe has a much higher drop rate, though, and you'd need higher level help for the Ghouls if you went the Selbina Route anyways. It's taken me up to 2 hours to farm a single skull in Gusgen Mines, whereas you only need to kill a handful of Bogies to get a Bloody Robe.

I would highly recommend simply finding a high level player willing to help you and doing the Mhaura quest. Bogies are too dangerous for Level 18-20 players, and if you were to party up with similarly-levelled players to kill Ghouls in Gusgen Mines, you'll probably end up stuck for hours in there since everyone in the party will want one too. If you can find a higher level player then killing the Bogies and Dhalmels will be a breeze and you'll get your items much quicker.

Comment

I disagree. Do NOT get higher level help unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. Do it yourself. Make memories. Have fun. Don't rush through the game. Endgame will always be there for you but you'll never be a new player again.
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I would like to point out that MNK/DRK is situationally useful, most notably for zerg fights. You need to have a dedicated mage since your HP will deplete very quickly, but I've seen it work.
                        sigpic
                        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Wow, thanks guys, I didn't know it was going to be hard to get a subjob. But then again...SE does have a hand at making it difficult (but fun) for someone to get what he/she/it wants...

I am going to take all your advice on board and see what will become of me...one little question though: From Bastok, Selbina is closest, but what level is advisable to go there? I'm 13 at the moment.

Thanks again for the advice!

Comment

You could go at level 1 if you wanted to, as long as you avoid the mobs that aggro (i.e. staying away from sound aggro mobs, not passing in front of sight aggro mobs, not casting near bombs and elementals, and not having yellow-red HP when undead are around.)

Most people start partying in Valkurm Dunes (the area right outside Selbina) at Lv.10.

Moving around the dunes isn't any different than moving around Konschtat Highlands - there are mobs that will kill you if they aggro in both zones. If you can move through Konschtat then you can move through the dunes. Look up the aggro behavior of mobs in FFXIClopedia or Vana'diel Atlas. If in doubt, treat it as aggressive - even mobs such as crabs and bats can aggro in higher level areas.

Comment

Working...
                            X