Contemplating a third job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating a third job

I currently have PLD75 and RDM75. Two jobs I happen to think I'm very well suited to the task for.

So I have a tank, I have a support/mage/healer, and now I'm looking for a Melee.

Skipping a lot of insight that would be tl:dr, in the essence of similar gear parallels, I was thinking either WAR or DRK. Also, there is no conflict with merits either.

I am upset though that I'll have to level a LOT of weapons, but 75WAR gets all the love in the current metagame, and I need me some merits, so short of me selling out and going BRD (oh yeah, BRD is totally an option), I was strongly considering WAR.

Any dissenting opinions? Or should I be looking at SAM or DRG right now?
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Re: Contemplating a third job

Of all the 2-hander melees I'd play, I'd go with DRK. that's just me though.

Comment

Its just personal preference. I levelled drg to 75 then levelled sam to 75 cause the 2 hour is better, sam has better gear choices than drg does imo and you can use the gear from sam on there melee jobs. wish drg could use a hauby. I've levelled drk to 33 war to 37 and blu to 37, out of the straight DD jobs sam is my favourite, show me another job that can do a 6 ws in a row, granted if the mob doesnt die your pretty dead for it but its still fun to be able to do it ) an you can always sub nin for the extra surviveability.

I know blue is not strictly a straight dd but its still does sick damage, after ive got all my sam gear ill be moving onto blu next, spell hunting yuk
      Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
      Alchemy 23 Cooking 23
      Bastok 6-1 COP complete AU complete ZM complete WotG Wings Of Glory

Comment

Don't play for the bandwagon, man. It's not worth your soul.

Comment

If you have any aspirations of obtaining homam gear for your pld, a drk could use it also. Always nice when you can get double duty out of good gear.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

DRG can also share hecatomb, homam, ares, and askar with your PLD (of those, SAM can only use askar - otherwise it's restricted to the osode, shura, usukane type of gear). It's true about the hauby, but if you get AJ, your PLD *and* your RDM can use it as well as your DRG, and with DRG's native acc bonus, you can get enough acc elsewhere. (Or swap in SH, pahluwan etc.) Anyway, when you get to endgame sets, DRK and DRG have much more gear in common with PLD than SAM does.

And DRG benefits from mage subs, which as a RDM, you already have (as well as melee subs, you might not have /SAM yet for example). And you only have to level one weapon.
            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Also DRG is inarguably the most badass job in the game.

Comment

I was definitely joking about DRG, but it's somewhat valid now. I'm worried about putting all the effort into raising a melee job, only to not get invites around merit levels because everyone and their mom wants WAR/SAM instead.

I love PLD, and that's exactly what happened to it.
                The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Level both WAR and DRK XD.... (joke)

If I have to choose between WAR or DRK again, I would go with DRK. Whenever I look at WAR's group II merit, I am like hmmm...

At that time S-E adjusted PLD and SAM, S-E adjusted DRK too. WAR on the other hand is pretty much the same.
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

So, War, Drk, Drg, or Sam eh?

First off, play whichever you have the most fun with.

It would be a tough call IMO. As far as DD jobs go, I'm not terribly picky, I think they are equally good and enjoyable to play and it would come down to more of a personal choice. I think I would be more inclined towards Drg or Sam myself. Warrior would be fun, but falls into the Monk category of level for fun/campaign. Not that they are bad jobs, it's just that I like Drg and Sam that much more and I think I gain more utility out of Sam than I would War or Drk. I tend to like pet jobs so Drg is more enjoyable to me than War or Drk would be.

If you are going strictly for which job gets the most love, I would say it's a tossup between War and Sam, and as said earlier I would go with Sam myself. I like how most of the Mnk/Nin/Sam line of armor looks, Soboro and Sam/Dnc is awesome, Soboro and Sam/melee is awesome, and Sam is just all around nice IMO.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I deleted another tl;dr post.

I actually like watching SAMs in action (Taking your advice on this one, Vyuru), and I have a feeling that, aside from probably an abysmal gear selection due to me being broke, I'd be a pretty good SAM. They have about as much JAs as RDMs have Spells, so I'd be in Macro heaven. When I play a job, if I can't "stay busy" I get aggravated.

Moreover, Taru HP + Souleater doesn't seem like something I'd be willing to harass.

I like the concept of DRG, but I feel that if I was asked to bring melee to an end-game scenario, I'd get more mileage out of SAM.

DRG is tempting though, because they share Homam and Askar and Aumum with PLD >_>. Three sets of gear I DON'T have but oh well.

At least SAM can wear Haubergeon with my PLD. Oh, and SAM get Haidate, and they only really compete with MNK for a lot of other gear.

Oh snap, Osode also, lol.

Holy shit, I might get some mileage out of Sky for once.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

But then again, with my choice of "one time only" gear being Sattva (in the future) and Suppanomimi, I might want to second guess a melee job.
                      The Tao of Ren

Comment

Drgs are quite popular on my server. When my husband recently decided to level it, as a taru, I was expecting disaster. Before I knew it he was 75 and getting invites like crazy. He absolutely loves the job and prefers it over his sam and mnk.

I tend to level jobs that can share equipments because of storage limitations. I HATE, with a passion, having to log onto mules to get equips or having nearly a full safe, locker, AND inventory. (Thank god for the security token!) It's also a gil and time saver if you can share equips. I don't have the time to camp/do quests/farm in order to obtain more gear because another job can't wear what I have.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

SAM.

Not because it's a bandwagon job, but because it's genuinely fun and solos quite well (and kicks a lot of ass)
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
                            I currently have PLD75 and RDM75. Two jobs I happen to think I'm very well suited to the task for.

So I have a tank, I have a support/mage/healer, and now I'm looking for a Melee.

Skipping a lot of insight that would be tl:dr, in the essence of similar gear parallels, I was thinking either WAR or DRK. Also, there is no conflict with merits either.

I am upset though that I'll have to level a LOT of weapons, but 75WAR gets all the love in the current metagame, and I need me some merits, so short of me selling out and going BRD (oh yeah, BRD is totally an option), I was strongly considering WAR.

Any dissenting opinions? Or should I be looking at SAM or DRG right now?
                            /

Go PUP, you wont regret it.

PS > BRD is fun to play and more active than RDM, and /nin after you can sub Utsu is great for XP'ing at lower levels if you know how to play it (as in pull like it's going out of style.)

For DD I'd probably level DRK but that's more because I already have the skill from RDM and Dynamis armor pieces for it (Xarcabard piece and FFA stuff no one else wanted), but SAM seems like a lot of fun. WAR I've seen way too much of in recent times so I'm kinda tired of it, even though I haven't gone past 37, but that's just me.
                            sigpic
                            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I have SAM, NIN, WAR, and PLD at 75 (BLU otw) and so far I havent had any complaints. All four jobs share some gear to a certain extent, but if you wanna go with all-around bad-assedness, go with WAR. Why? Cuz WAR has decent ratings for the majority of the weapons in the game, which means if you decide to move on to a different job, you can easily skill up w/e weapon you plan on using! Asides from that, BLU is also a rockin job, but youre gonna need Sea access to get your final good spells. In the end, its your own choice what you wanna do, dont let anyone tell you any specific job isnt worth the trouble ^^b
                              Originally posted by Van Wilder
                              Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do, but doesnt get you anywhere
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              No matter how far an ass travels he will never be a horse. Some people are just bad players and no amount of tools you give them will change that.
                              Hexx of Quetzalcoatl - 78PLD, 90NIN, 90WAR, 90SAM, 90BLU,90THF, 90SCH,90COR
                              I'M BACK BABY!

Comment

Working...
                              X