Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smn vs blu

Hi
    I'm looking to start a new job to 75, I've got Sam and Drg already to 75 and want to level a mage job for a change. I'm really not into standing there being a cure whore tho so the healer classes are dull to me. atm I've got smn to 20 got all the avatars cept fenny and diablos and got my carbys mitts. as for blu ive got it to 37 and got all my spells up to 30 plus a few over 30 but not many.

My question is whats jobs more useful for endgame, soloing, Lower tier NMs and BSNM?
    Last edited by Reverent Knight; 03-30-2009, 08:22 AM.
    Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
    Alchemy 23 Cooking 23
    Bastok 6-1 COP complete AU complete ZM complete WotG Wings Of Glory

Re: smn vs blu

Smn and Blu are rarely used in endgame.....at least on my server. You want a viable endgame mage job that doesn't cure? Level blm.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
      Smn and Blu are rarely used in endgame.....at least on my server. You want a viable endgame mage job that doesn't cure? Level blm.
      I don't know about blu, but I know smn is really good on a lot of HNM's. Awesome for JoL fights and other fights you just don't want to feed the mob TP.
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Reverent Knight View Post
        endgame, soloing, Lower tier NMs and BSNM
        Those four activities are all mutually exclusive, and different jobs are better/worse at each one differently. There is no one "catch-all" job that'll work for all of them all the time.

Summoner: you WILL be a cure bot as you level this job. Until 70, your job will actually be Gimp White Mage. You don't earn the "Summoner" job name until then.

Blue Mage: this job can be so much more than what a good 80% of the playerbase uses it for, but since it's the playerbase you're going to be dealing with, this job will see you on the front lines more often than not, swinging swords and spamming spells. A highly melee/offensive caster, you can also effectively main heal with it too (however, to do that, you'll need a completely different build). Nuking isn't a viable option until the later levels, but it can be done. However, if you were planning on nuking, you might as well level Scholar or Black Mage.

Both Jobs: have thier uses in endgame. My LS makes frequent use of both in various endgame activities, and they're highly effective where we choose to apply them.

One last note: whichever job you decide to exp for "endgame purposes", fully expect to be stuck on that job forevermore. LS's are notorious for having their members level XYZ job, and then permanently making that player that job for the rest of the time they're with that LS for everything. About [insert number here]% of the time, it's a job the player doesnt' like. Take that as a warning...
        Last edited by LilithAngel; 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM. Reason: However, the job I suggest you level is the one you enjoy, not the one "endgame needs XYZ job."

Comment

Comming from a SMN... if you dont want to be a cure bot... go BLM. I had to be a CURE BOT and I had to deal with it

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
            I don't know about blu, but I know smn is really good on a lot of HNM's. Awesome for JoL fights and other fights you just don't want to feed the mob TP.
            On my server, you'll rarely see smn's doing HNM/endgame events. There are other jobs that are better suited so its wasteful to fill a spot with a smn. That doesn't mean they are never doing endgame because they are but not as often as they'd like to. We have many smns in our ls but you have to have three 75 jobs to get in so they always are on something else. On occasion, we have a smn come to something if we have no other choice. It's usually for Diablos or for buffing/curing the melee. Smn's just do not get the love in endgame.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

We actually don't use SMNs on mobs, but a few lses on the server do. We have other means for damage. But yeah, SMN isn't used too much at endgame, and it really does act as a cure bot from 1-75, which is a shame but not terribly surprising considering how inefficient it is.

BLU is also not used a whole lot at endgame. I've seen some say that it's good in Salvage or Einherjar as a quick stunner, but I haven't seen them in action to really know. Though you will do a lot less curing on BLU, for sure. Don't rule it out, though. BLU might be good in Dynamis too. We don't use BLU for anything at all though. A few people have BLU but they never play it.

Have to agree with TGM ... BLM will take you to endgame on a mage job where you won't have to cure much. Even though I still do because that's just what I do, you won't be expected to.
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Think Ill go with blu for my next job and just buff my sam up for endgame, got an invite to join an Sky LS this friday so mite go along and see if there any good. Mite be able to get my kitty pants after i get enough points to lot on it.

I enjoy both jobs but blu can take a bit more of a kicking if things go wrong and you can always throw out a quick stun and run for it if things are looking bad
                Last edited by Reverent Knight; 04-02-2009, 01:38 AM.
                Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
                Alchemy 23 Cooking 23

Comment

Everyone pretty much has the Endgame part correct. But for your additional concers I recon SMN is alot more adept to Solo many NM in this game, given the proper space and skill of the SMN. you can also solo Shoot fish BCNM (or w/e its called Lv 20) and in Mine shaft with Shiva BCNM. Your solo career is based on Bombs, and put untill Lv 51 if you chose to solo anything it will be worms and Goblins. for the most part you will be a main or back up healer. your buffs help alot if you have a main healer and u server as back-up. Unitll Lv 65 you'll get Eclipse bite. then you graduate to the DD job for some mobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dim Mahk View Post
                    then you graduate to the DD job for some mobs
                    I partied in a mage heavy party a while back I was on Sam level 70 i think and we had a RDM WHM so smn was on avatar duty to back me up. Biggest waste of space DD ive ever seen. Every time a looked round it was me and the tank vs the mob and no glowing flyin dude anywhere, the Smn dd is only good once a minute when the BP timers are up really, the guy spent most of the party resting for MP while i bounced hate with the tank as I had to do the work of 2 dd at once. Blu can magic burst mp drainkiss for decent mp recovery so reduces the need to rest all the time.

Your prob right about the smn being a better solo but i like consistent damage figures, plus i can get to level 60 on blu with no sea access and not be missing anything important but I havent got fenny or diablos as yet which means Ive gotta do all the avatar fights again, I read somewhere that its just expected to have fenny no later than 37 and diablos by 45 or you just look bad.

Plus ive got no mage gear past level 29 while I've got melee up to 75 so blu is probable a better cheaper option atm

Thank you for your advice
                    Alchemy 23 Cooking 23

Comment

Well I have seen proof of your statement many many times. but dont fault all SMNs for that slackers ways. you should have had a constant flow of Hastega, Nocshield, Rolling thunder, Ecliptic Growl etc. on at all times. that would have really allowed the party to function properly. at that Lv 65 I like to keep on 2 buffs and DD inbetween hMP. depends on what we're fighting of course.

Comment

It's hard to keep the MP up for all of that on SMN though. Blood Pacts are retardedly high in mp costs.
                        sigpic
                        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Judging from your other 75's, I'd say go with BLU. You'll be more than capable of enjoying multiple aspects of the game (soloing, Dmg Dealing, Healing if needed, Nuking somewhat). Personally, SMN can solo, but I think you'll find that you'll enjoy soloing with BLU more. It's magey enough to be different, but DD..ey enough to be similar to Sam and Drg. Now go camp Cargo Crab Collins and don't come back till you got your sword.
                          Last edited by ShepardG; 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM. Reason: I spelled the word "Got" Wrong.

Comment

I'd recommend BLU over SMN, just from personal experience, and having enjoyed BLU much, much, much (much) more than my time with SMN. But 2 things:

1. Don't just level another job to 75 for nothing more than endgame. You've already got to very viable endgame classes that both have uses. BLU is not a jjob to be rushed to 75. You'll miss spells, leave gear behind, and most importantly, you'll lose that amazing, rewarding feeling of soloing EM-Tough (sometimes higher) mobs at any level. Period. Enjoy BLU and don't rush it.

2. Don't expect that since you've leveled 2 other DD jobs, you won't need to learn a thing or two on BLU. BLU is an excellent DD, sure, but that doesn't push the job to the extent it's capable of. You'll need to equip for a myriad of different roles, and must have all the spells up to your current level, and preferably beyond.

BLU has so far been my favorite job to play: it excels soloing, and works even better with a team. I just hate to watch people start the job and feel the need to ding 75 in a month. BLU is a definitely about the journey, not so much the destination.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                            ------
                            Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                            When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Lucky for me I'm a bit compulsive with blu spells, im 37 and Ive got all my spells from 30 and a few above only missing the 30-37 cause i got in an awesome party and blasted through the levels so didnt have time to go spell hunting.

I do need to learn a lot when i do blu, i spent half an hour in the dunes when i started trying to self skillchain before i knew u needed the job abilities lol. I'm gonna choose blu, ive got my nin and thf levelled to 37 so i'm set sub wise, maybe ill make enough on the way to 75 to buy a hagun, dout it tho.

fully intend to go back an get all the spells i'm missing before i level anymore.
                              Alchemy 23 Cooking 23

Comment

Working...
                              X