Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worried about my little taru

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
    For gaining levels in XP parties, race doesn't make a lick of difference as long as you have appropriate gears, except perhaps when tanking. Taru paladins/warriors/ninjas have it a little tougher than all the other races because of having the lowest HP of all races paired with the expectation of tanking. But again, for XP purposes they're still perfectly workable, and even at endgame they're not really all that bad - most stuff that kills you at level 75 tends to do so in a screaming hurry no matter what race you are.

Sure, Tarutaru isn't the optimal race for DRK or MNK, but the difference isn't anything to cry over, and the aesthetics are certainly more important; you're going to be looking at your character a lot, so it'd be best if you picked something you can stand to stare at for days/months/years instead of just picking for a couple of stat points (most of which you can make up for with appropriate gear).

Icemage

I'd just like to add to this point, the best PLD, MNK and DRK I have ever partied with have all been Tarutaru. How good you are at the job is most important. It doesn't matter if you're an Elvaan PLD with the most ridiculously powerful gear in the game.

Sure gear is important but it is your skill at playing a class not only effects your overall performance but it also effects what others think of you and how likely they are to invite you back. If you are terrible at a job you will build up a reputation of being bad at a job. For example if you're bad at PLD people will be less likely to invite you as a PLD. I know a perma from a Canadian-French LS (can't remember thier name off the top of my head but I think the shellholder is called Euology, that are some very nice and friendly people) on my server that were impressed with my performance on WHM and one of them told me that they usually go out of their way to invite me if I'm seeking so take that for what you will I guess.

That and no reasonable player will ever expect a new player to always have the best possible gear at all times. There are important bits of gear that you should try your best to get but as long as you are using what a Dark Knight should be using nobody is going to care if you don't have the best gear i nthe game.
    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
    Reiko Takahashi
    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Concerning tarutaru DRKs, while they don't have as much HP to burn for Souleater and such, they do have the ability to take greater advantage of one of DRK's most overlooked abilities: their spellcasting. Learn to time your Absorb spells between your swings and you can help make up for the race's shortcomings with a nice Absorb-STR. I'd go so far as to say that if you want to be a taru melee, DRK is the best way to go. -- Pteryx

Comment

From the perspective of a fellow Taru, there are clear benefits and disbenefits to our... well... stature, but when you take in the grand scheme of things, your racial choice make little difference in EG. My first job was WHM and I lvl'd it to 37 before switching to SMN and grinding that to 75. As I knew from the start that I was going to be a SMN, I stood to benefit greatly from choosing TaruTaru as my race considering the single most important thing about a SMN is the amount of MP that he/she has and how they can use it. With my current gear I have a solid 1406 MP and that means I can perpetuate longer and BP/heal more before needing to rest. There are times when my HP is an issue, mainly when dealing with high damage AoE in EG senarios... but if you play right and know the limitations of your job/race, you should never really have a problem.

I have personally seen a Taru DRK own house in EG and I've also seen a Galka SMN hold his own right along side me in Campaign. It's all about how you play your job. The asthetics play into it as well. I played on Odin as an Elvaan all the way up until lvl 38 on MNK before I decided that hated the way Elvaan's looked and ultimately deleated him.

If you like TaruTaru, play TaruTaru. If you like DRK, play as a TaruTaru DRK. Nobody is going to stop you... and if anyone tells you that another race is better by nature, show them up. Prove them wrong and make all us Taru proud. I've been personally lvling up NIN, THF, COR, WAR and PLD and have encountered no problems what-so-ever with holding hate, dealing damage and even OUTdamaging some of the "stronger" race/job combinations.

Good luck my brother. PROVE THEM ALL WRONG!!!

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
        99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
        99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

It's important to look at dates of the last post before responding, especially when you simply say the same thing the rest of the thread did.

Nekroing is bad, m'kay.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

+1 Fail Point for me.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
            99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
            99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Working...
            X