Idea: New Job: Chemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idea: New Job: Chemist

Item use in FFXI is so limited because SE wants a reliance on party based play. If we could use items in FFXI as effectively as we could in previous FF games, there would be little need for healers. Though it is very odd that pheonix downs aren't in this game, they have items that can be used on others, and they have items that can grant RR effects, and heck, there's even items that can grant RR on others, but why not have items that can grant Raise on people.
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron
      Oh my, please forgive me oh great Balfree for pointing out that the OP's wonderful, unique and original idea not only wasn't, but was also pulled from a game by the same company that created and produces FFXI.
      Final Fantasy Tactics was made by Quest in 1997, Final Fantasy was licensed to them by Squaresoft when they commissioned them to make the game, Quest went right back to making Tactics Ogre games after producing FFT and Vagrant Story for Squaresoft. Quest was eventually bought up by SE shortly after Square and Enix merged and the Quest team became Production Studio 4 and put to the task of making FFTA, FFXII, FFTA2 and FFT: War of the Lions.

Chemist debuted in Final Fantasy V, not Final Fantasy Tactics.

And as Balfree pointed out, its not just about this topic, its that you have a history of passive-aggressive, snide and rude comments to people. Its true others have moments of that here but that's just it - they're moments. it's not a 24/7 state of being for us like it is for you.

Getting back to the topic at hand, its not that Chemist is a bad idea and it doesn't have to be an original job as there are plenty of existing FF jobs left to implement - its just that a new job design dynamic is needed to justify it.

COR, BLU, PUP, DNC and SCH were all quite exotic in terms of job design compared to the rest out there. They had to be or SE couldn't justify them.

I'm sure there will be new jobs, but SE has to bring more jobs and also make them innovative while they're at it - as a main job as well as a subjob.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post

And as Balfree pointed out, its not just about this topic, its that you have a history of passive-aggressive, snide and rude comments to people. Its true others have moments of that here but that's just it - they're moments. it's not a 24/7 state of being for us like it is for you.
        I love how in my "Thinking about Drk..." topic in the drk forums, I got pissed because he was a bitch and being elitist and everyone fucking cheered him on, but oh smash an idea that he is actually NOT wrong about, and he's a fucking dickhead. >.>

The people here confuse me.....

BTW
        Ogre battle series > any stradegy and/or rpg game

Person of Lordly Calibur FTW

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I missed that Drk thread from last week. So thank you again for bringing it to my attention.
          "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Potemken View Post
            *Erased Comment*

BTW
            Ogre battle series = awesome
            FTFY

I liked Ogre Battle 64 and The Ogre Battle Tactics for the GBA. I was just thinking the other day about how you unlocked Angel and Necromancer classes on OB64 lol. I think my favorite Strategy Games were OB64, Disgaea 2, and Disgaea 3. If only I had more time to play them though
            {New Sig in the works}
            -----------------------
            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
            Originally posted by Solymir
            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Solymir View Post
              Thank you, thank you, thank you. I missed that Drk thread from last week. So thank you again for bringing it to my attention.
              I don't think anyone missed it. My first topic in the forums and it went "up in flames" lol. NOICE!

Yeah OB64 is prolly in my top 5 fav games of all time. Angel was way to hard, had to use Peace and Harmoneis. Lich I had two of becuase I knew where the rings were. My fav was Biske the beast tho. I know you had to turn down like all the pwnage characters but I just love werewolfs.

Enough off topic tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Potemken View Post
                I love how in my "Thinking about Drk..." topic in the drk forums, I got pissed because he was a bitch and being elitist and everyone fucking cheered him on, but oh smash an idea that he is actually NOT wrong about, and he's a fucking dickhead. >.>

BTW
                Ogre battle series > any stradegy and/or rpg game

Person of Lordly Calibur FTW
                That is because while he is annoying like my neighbor's kid, he's also sneaky like my neighbor's kid and doesn't actually cross the line even though he really wants to, because of the dogs you see.

Whereas you, probably not as annoying, might however have stepped on that fine line and the dogs found you before you could step out of it.

I might also add that while the idea isn't original, no one really cares, most people are busy enough that they can let that slide, I think.

In any case, carry on.

Also, I'm great, that won the thread
                signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

That outline that Ziero posted seems very well-thought out and realistic. Makes me wonder what internal research SE has done on the job (as well as others), because it had to be looked at as a serious possibility.

That specific proposal feels like SCH for some reason to me...
                  (although admittedly I've only played FFXI a few times since SCH was implemented)

Comment

Thanks everyone who gave feedback. Sorry I didn't search harder for the already posted Chemist ideas, but I was glad that someone posted the links

Also, I guess I should have reworded that sentence about posting this as my idea because I meant it to sound more like "I will just post my ideas here that I haven't seen". Also, FFT is probably one of my all-time favorite games! Of course I know this isn't a uniquely original idea for a job, I just haven't seen any discussion on the possibility of this job using Temp potions.

To address some of the responses to my post, I would see Chemist possibly using tools or MP to summon the potions and at end-game receiving unique potions or the ability to mix potions. Elixirs would be a way to keep Chemist quite useful end-game as well. However, cool down timers or mana cost for certain potions would probably need to be heavily tweaked for this job to work properly. I also know we don't 'need' another healing job, but hell, FFXI didn't 'need' any new jobs past what it had in initial release. But that is part of the allure of FFXI in my opinion, having a huge selection of jobs that allow the game to be played in so many different ways

Comment

Working...
                    X