Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Healing Options? WHM/RDM/SCH?

Greetings.

I am essentially new to the current FFXI and I prefer to play Main Healer/Utility types. Right now I'm just not sure really what is generally more in demand between the healing types and what main/sub tends to do the best overall from low end to end game. WHM/RDM/SCH all look very interesting to me but in the end I'm looking for a few things overall utility. Buffs, Debuffs, Cures, Healing, and a little damage so for those situations where healing isn't as necessary such as high dps/chain pulling groups that I'll still have some dmg options available.

I'm currently playing on hades as Oaen a Tarutaru WHM at the moment. Currently not logged in as I'm doing some class/game research=)

Re: Main Healing Options? WHM/RDM/SCH?

The major healers in FFXI are WHM, RDM, SCH and DNC. SMN is often invited to main heal, but they're often pulling from a /WHM subjob and that's really not the best way to go about the job anyway.

WHM is your best healer in terms of potency and access to the highest tier cures, regens, protect and shell magic.

RDM is often used as a healer, but their real specialty is enfeebling, but they're often invited as healers for thier Refresh and Haste spells at higher levels. RDM is also a very nice solo job thanks to the various subjobs and spells they can use.

SCH isn't a strong healer starting out, but after 30, a few more spells and job abilities they become strong healers in thier own right. As they level higher, they tend to favor using magic with thier Accession job ability to increase party defenses and mitigate damage rather than cast cure magic. They are also capable nukers, so when you're tired of healing, you SCHs can be helpful on the damage end of things too. In time, they become respectable soloists and have the largest spell list of any mage.

It should be noted that SMNs use thier avatars in this manner to cast AoE defensive magic like SCH does, but again, they're often pulling from a WHM subjob for the rest of thier curative duties. That hurts since summoning avatars is so MP exaustive to start with. SMN is a rather powerful job at high levels, but arguably the weakest of the healers.

DNC is quite different from the pack. Instead of using MP to cure, they use the TP gained from melee attacks to Cure thier allies and enfeeble the mob. I suppose you could say they're part damage-dealer and part healer. They're really nice to have around as it takes the pressure off the mages to do all the healing and helps them make their MP last a bit longer.

So as you can see, you potentially have five healer options here.

Were I to add anything more, I would also toss in PUP/DNC as a decent healer. This is mostly just for EXP PTs and solo, but since PUPs are a melee class and have an automation that, in time, learns respectable cure spells. PUPs aren't strong DDs, so putting that TP to use with /DNC is a good step for many party situations. And an Automation is a free healer. They also solo rather well, but PUP/DNC isn't really a career choice so much as a situational one.

DRGs can also help heal in PTs, though its not common for them to sub /WHM or any mage job, when they cast magic under a certain HP criteria, thier pet wyverns will take that as a signal to cure the DRG or an ally in the PT. This is quite useful for soloing and small PTs.

Finally, BLU can he used as a healer at times. Though most prefer to put all thier MP into using damaging physical magic, they can be good healers at times. Big drawback is like you'd expect, Blue Mages learn magic from mobs and the curative and protective magic they're not generous about giving up. And most BLUs never bother to prepare for a healer duty, some don't even bother to set the magic. BLUs are nice soloists, too.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

SCH sounds interesting with the ability to add a lot of mitigation and defense along with the healing.

DNC seems nice overall but just doesn't seem to be my type of class I'm not a big fan of melee combat.

SCH/WHM/RDM all sound great to me decisions.. decisions.. since i'm starting out now i can't get SCH until higher level by unlocking it correct?

SMN sounds like it has some interesting/fun mechanics but given your description i have to even question the over all practicality of the class.

Out of the varying healing combination jobs what seems to generally be more in demand at higher levels?

Not really healing oriented but Bard seemed like a very interesting option as welll.

Comment

Yeah, SCH is unlockable at level 30, but truthfully, you'll want to have RDM, WHM and BLM subjobs prepared for it anyway and you have the opportunity to start on that right now, so just stick with what you're doing for now if SCH appeals to you.

SMN is a good class, its just its design had to be changed so other classes would have a fighting chance in FFXI, but the theme of proving your power to attain power is maintained. They draw some nice benefits from a SCH subjob for keeping up MP in the long term, though, so that helps.

Comment

In relation to overall MP/Survivability for Healer/Hybrid types I'm asuming the best options would be Taru or Hum? I'm Taru at the moment but I'm thinking Hume may be a bit more practical for being well rounded in terms of health+mp?

Comment

Race isn't a tremedous factor for mages. Most, if not all obstacles can be overcome with gear and skill. There are advantages and disadvantages to each race, but not job-breaking ones.

Hume is going to take a hit on MP endurance, yes, but putting it in the context of SCH for a moment a Hume would get more MP back from Sublimation than a Taru would and be able to gain more MP from racial gear than tarus would from thier own. A Taru would still probably achieve a larger base MP than a Hume, but they'd get less MP back from sublimation since it based on your max HP and Taru HP is low.

Another example would be paladin. Elvaan paladin gets more VIT and HP than a taru, but not as much MP as the Taru PLD. And that MP that taru has often makes up for the lack of HP and VIT they have.

So pick the race you like looking at the most and go with that. Any drawback to race can be overcome with gear and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              So pick the race you like looking at the most and go with that. Any drawback to race can be overcome with gear and skill.
              Thanks, I'll probably go Hume then. I'll shoot for Scholar in the long term it just seems like it would suit me best in terms of healing+utility+dps. I'm
              still very much going to work on WHM as well though. I'll level WHM to 30 first.

I did read though a lot of people frown upon SCH main healers because they do not have Haste like WHM/RDM? I"ve seen a lot of hate
              against SCH in this regards that they're never really considering for 9/10 groups because they lack the spell. WHM main with SCH sub
              seems fairly powerful though. On the other hand I've seen people say they're fire despite the lack of haste they do have Enspellga
              which help makes up for the difference in dps gains vs. haste a fair amount.

Since I'm going to reroll as hume do you know of any servers that have a decent low level and mid level population? So far on Hades
              I've seen 1 person literally in the beginning areas/city maybe it has to do with the fact I'm Tarutaru and started in Windust?
              Last edited by neuromuse; 11-16-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Where are you hearing that stuff? If it came from Killing Ifrit or Allakazham, I'd just as soon not listen to a word of it.

People tend to overrate a lot of things in this game, Haste especially. Its awesome, its nice, but its not a dealbreaker for the job. If SCH got Haste, WHM and RDM would totally be out of a job. I get invites as a healer just fine on SCH and I've never heard a complaint about my performance as one.
                Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

A dedicated BLU healer has very MP-efficient healing spells, and honestly could have stood to be a healer class on par with RDM. However, that's not what the community wanted to do with the job, so it's basically just a DD w/MP in most people's eyes. Real shame, too.

Either way, don't expect either to outdo a good WHM or SCH in terms of healing capability. WHM/SCH seem like what you are looking for, as not only will you have a bunch of Healing power on your side, but if you are interested in this aspect of the job, a WHM with a Hammer and Hexa Strike at their disposal can be a force to be reckoned with in and of itself.

Oh, and, also: never underestimate the power that two healing-capable classes bring to the party, WHM & RDM being the classic dynamic duo.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

As a WHM main, you'll not get any better in terms of backline healing support than a WHM. I also have RDM to 75, too, so I've played both as healers and WHM is clearly superior.

I haven't taken my SCH too far up yet, but I plan to, as I'm mostly a mage at this point and it would make sense economically to level another mage jobs for which I won't need to spend a fortune on gear, but I'm intrigued by what SCH is capable of.

If you really like playing the healer role, WHM is a solid choice, but SCH will also do quite well for you if you'd want to take a break from healing and go out and blast shit with nukes.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

I agree if you want to be a pure healer/support job then you can't go wrong with WHM though I'm probably biased since I like the job so much. Along with BRD it's one of the most thankless jobs in the game but it's probably the most rewarding and you will always be wanted to main heal in a lot of events and parties. Though if you play any support job expecting thanks then you're really naive.

Not sure what RDM is like because I haven't levelled it yet but they are always in demand for exp parties because after LV40 the Refresh and Convert abilities allow RDM to go on for a long time. I do like having a RDM around on the backline because it's so useful having one around. RDMs are very versatile and can take a lot of pressure off your main healer even by simply using refresh on the PLD or by casting haste on a DD every once and a while.

SCH is a second rate healer until you start hitting the 40's to be honest. It's a much better nuker until then. I know that I regularly outdamage the rest of the party in most exp parties on SCH and I have the parses to prove it. When it starts hitting the mid levels SCH is a powerful healer and is a very powerful mage. The only problem is that people seem to expect SCH to be able to be RDM when it's not. RDM is more a jack of all trades where while it can fit into any role it won't be as good as the dedicated class. SCH on the other hand is able to fit itself into any mage's role without difficulty and can easily match the dedicated jobs for each role but can't really match the pure versatility of RDM.

DNC is highly useful at low-mid levels although I haven't seen any in higher level parties so I don't know what role they play. I do know that DNC is a highly useful sub for classes such as MNK and PLD and is pretty useful for classes like NIN.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

You might consider giving Corsair a shot as well. It will require you to level some non-mage subs (WAR, RNG, NIN) but it's a lot of fun if a bit expensive.

It's very similar to Bard in that it's the 2nd real support class in the game but it differs from Bard in a number of ways. It's geared much more offensively with the use of guns and it's buffs are all instant and last for 5 minutes by default, giving you time to shoot the enemy.

But if you're not really looking to get in the enemy's face much stick to Bard. My advice is to give all the jobs mentioned a shot as you'll never know which ones you like best until you actually play them.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Problem with COR is that it's both a pain to unlock and very expensive for new players
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

COR isn't any harder to unlock than PUP or BLU, really. The expense only hurts if you're not prepared, which is the case for most people. That or they just don't care to play it right and play it on the cheap. They get a refresh buffs, that's usually license to get away with murder as is.

But hey, cool piraty AF. Arrrr.
                            Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-16-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

But how would a new player really be prepared for levelling a money jettisoning job like RNG or COR though? Most new players are still trying to figure out effective ways of making money when they hit Lv30
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                              X