Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would someone continue to play a job they hate as a main?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would someone continue to play a job they hate as a main?

This is something that, quite honestly, baffles me to no end - people playing jobs they hate at endgame full-time. I know a few. Back when I only had BRD and ended up hating it at endgame level, I got the hell out of endgame and went back to the drawing board on my job interests. BRD was fun to 75 for me, but no at 75.

Eventually jobs like COR and SCH came along and I loved them and found jobs I could pair up with them for mutual benefit, both in terms of gear and merits. So in time things worked out for me and I'm pretty happy with my jobs at 75 now.

I can only guess that someone would play a job they hated full-time at endgame levels because they were either desparate or it was the only 75 job they had time to deal with.

But, I've known some people to take it to the extreme and work toward relic for the job they do little else but bitch about playing.

Uh, what?

They're serious about getting it, too. I just... can't comprehend it. Seems like they would be condeming themselves to that role just for the persuit of the relic. I mean, hey, its your gil, I suppose, inflict misery on yourself if you want. But all I hear from the dude is bitch, bitch, bitch about being a BRD.

I don't get it.

Thankfully, I don't really like this person anyway. So its kind of amusing watching him condemn himself to the role. Still doesn't make much sense to me, but amusing all the same.

Re: Why would someone continue to play a job they hate as a main?

In the case of a BRD, it seems likely they may have had people guilt them into getting Gjallrhorn. Many, of not most, will do a lot of stupid crap for acceptance; if being a useful BRD is what it takes for their friends to accept them, that might be what they'll do.

There's also the case of someone liking a job in theory, but in the way players or SE actually treat it. NIN, DRG, BST would seem to fall into that, along with many others.

Comment

I don't enjoy my BRD even remotely close to my other 2 jobs, though a GHorn would be +14 inventory, I'd take that over an Excal/Mandau for RDM if I had feasible means for a relic for sure.

Edit: I do know your frustration though, my LS has about 4 75 WHMs, only one of them has WHM as their only job, and has no qualms with being a career WHM, while the other 3 bitch incessantly if asked to come WHM on most occassions...though those 3 also bitch should they not be considered front runners for the good WHM gear that drops, drives me nuts.
      Last edited by Callisto; 05-27-2008, 11:17 AM.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Honestly I hate my brd with a passion, I play it in endgame when I'm asked because if it helps my ls I don't mind. My linkshell was talking about making a relic brd, I would be more then happy to get a free relic.
        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

If I do relic, I'm doing it on Kitten and its either Death Penalty or Annihilator. I suppose it also depends on how Nyzul relic is structured, though. SCH or BST relic there could be amazing, so who knows?

When SCH and COR eventually came about, I found jobs I liked to level and play at endgame. I'll admit that I'm pairing up RDM with SCH now for merits and while I wouldn't say its my favorite thing to be, I'd play it in a heartbeat over BRD at endgame, so my choice of RDM to go with SCH is slightly political. Some people think I "hate" RDM, but the truth really is I'm just a caster-minded RDM.

Right now, though, I'm just working out finalizing the jobs I take to 75 and improving my gil-making/crafting methods, I can't be bothered to do any endgame content right now if its not Nyzul or Dynamis this summer.

Just seems like a tremendous waste of gil to work toward a job and relic you don't enjoy, even if it did save a considerable amount of inventory, though this particular BRD never touched an HQ instrument in his life and couldn't keep buffs on melees that well, either. Can't say I thought much of his BRD to start with.

Comment

I love my RDM to bits, I'm the only career RDM in my LS other then the leader and always will probably get asked to come RDM even with BLM slowly climbing the levels.

And well, it is the same thing with real life...people hate their jobs but won't quit. *shrug*

Comment

Is there anybody that actually likes BRD?!? O.o;

Of course I don't, but I don't like anything that lacks native MP. I'm Tarutaru. I likes me my MP.
              Originally posted by Armando
              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
              Originally posted by Armando
              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
              Matthew 16:15

Comment

I knew a guy who enjoyed BRD. It's a lot easier when you don't hang out with idiots.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                  Is there anybody that actually likes BRD?!? O.o;
                  Inviting them? Yes.

Playing one? No.

Those that say they like it tend to lie

Comment

I know someone who loved BRD, but other people ruined it. Like DRG, I suppose; fun job for some people, but the community going to treat you like ass.

Comment

I don't enjoy brd either. I leveled it for my ls. Same for blm, another job I can't stand. I do what I'm told, they need brd, I'm on it. They need blm, I'm on it. They need rdm, I do a little dance in my mog house. LOL
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I haven't played BRD enough to know.

Back when I was up-and-coming on WHM, I knew that I really loved it and it would become my new main, so I was still stuck on RDM for the time being (since WHM just wasn't useful until I got to 70 for R3, and even then it was still better to have a 75 RDM than a 70 WHM) and I was pretty miserable, but all that "forced" to come on RDM made me level up WHM faster so I could use it more.

I make no secrets that I don't really enjoy playing RDM anymore. In my old LS I was constantly asked to come RDM and I did it in the interest of the group, but whenever I got the chance I'd get there early, on WHM, so they would have to find someone else to change. Nowadays my RDM is happy farming the fields for drops and soloing NMs (like Centurio, may he rest in peace) and being useful for my own purposes, and my WHM is happy to be a healing main. Life is good.

I've been tempted to try BRD lately though, is it really that bad? I can see where the same song. over. and. over. would get annoying as hell, but well, that's what volume controls and Windows Media Player are for, I guess.
                        sigpic
                        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                          I don't enjoy brd either. I leveled it for my ls. Same for blm, another job I can't stand. I do what I'm told, they need brd, I'm on it. They need blm, I'm on it. They need rdm, I do a little dance in my mog house. LOL
                          This made me smile, but its pld or war for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            But, I've known some people to take it to the extreme and work toward relic for the job they do little else but bitch about playing.

Uh, what?

They're serious about getting it, too. I just... can't comprehend it. Seems like they would be condeming themselves to that role just for the persuit of the relic. I mean, hey, its your gil, I suppose, inflict misery on yourself if you want. But all I hear from the dude is bitch, bitch, bitch about being a BRD.

I don't get it.
                            Maybe they just really like to complain? I know some players who just never seem to be happy, regardless of the situation.
                            Lyonheart
                            lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                            Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                            Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                            Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                            Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                              Maybe they just really like to complain? I know some players who just never seem to be happy, regardless of the situation.
                              I love the ironing

(intentional)

Comment

Working...
                              X