Some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions!

I'm a returning player under a brand new account. This time I'm gonna be a Female Elvaan.

I want to level up one of the main jobs to be my future subjob to quicken the process a little bit. Which one of the standard jobs would be best suited as a subjob for most jobs?

I was thinking WAR for melee, but I recall a low invite rate on my MNK, so I think I will steer clear of melee classes and be some kind of supporting role job. Would WHM be best for that route?

I haven't played this game in a year or so. I imagine some things are different. >.>

Re: Some questions!

If you're going for support, then yes, WHM would be a safe bet. Or BLM. RDM is not as ideal a first job, because it's not a great sub during the early levels to much of anything (compared to WHM or BLM as a sub).

If you want to go melee, starting as WAR is a safe bet. Because by the time you get a subjob, WAR is going to sub well to MNK or THF, and should easily get you to 30 so you can unlock other jobs. You could also level MNK to 18 first, and then level WAR to 30. It's your call.

Comment

I see, I figured that's what it would be. I like doing damage, but I couldn't stand the 1-3 hour waits on MNK BLM DRK. >.<

Would it be too much to ask what the supporting jobs are now? I figure it's still pretty much the same, but I like to cover my bases.

Comment

That's the bright side of the meleeburn phenomenon; at least melee invite rates aren't as bad as they used to be.

If you like DDing and support, though, might I suggest Corsair? Once a minute, you buff party members in a given radius much like a bard, though with a random factor; in between, you shoot things with a gun. CORs are so rare on my server that I can't really speak for invite rates, though. Must be the whole "bullets are expensive" thing.

Jobs and what they do:

WAR: This is regarded mostly as a DDer nowadays for various reasons, though if you're willing to tank and keep up tanking gear that can help you level faster, at least in the low-to-mid levels.

MNK: Still a pure DDer.

THF: This job's having issues currently, due to the current unpopularity of skillchaining. Since SE's making efforts to bring it ack and to make THF better at hate control, though, this may eventually change. I just can't in good conscience recommend it now.

BLM: Still a simple nuker. Unfortunately, Treasures of Aht Urghan was very anti-nuke, and the skillchain crash didn't help either, so they tend to be a solo job currently. (Yes, BLMs now have techniques to solo.) While this may be fun for some, it does get in the way of learning to magic burst.

RDM: One of those "support jobs" you asked about. Expect to use a heck of a lot more white magic than black. In a party you'll heal, debuff, and eventually buff. Current popular high-level camps make debuffing useless, though, and current popular high-level party types will force you to play infinite-MP WHM. A good mage subjob as well.

WHM: A good healer, though in the annoying position that both RDM and SCH can do it better in the most popular situations at post-sub levels. One should have no problem getting WHM to 37, though, which is good as it's one of the key subjobs for mages.

BRD: Easily the most popular {Support type job} in the game. You'll get invites at all levels, even when you don't want them. Expect to use a tiny fraction of your spell list, and to pull. (Yes, BRDs pull now.)

BST: Still a solo job that can moonlight with playing DD in a party. They broke it in making MPK impossible, but it's fixed now.

DRK: DRK is still DRK, a glass cannon. Aside from shorter Absorb casting times, Absorb-TP, and Absorb-ACC, it's the same as you remember. Due to using MP, it doesn't fit the meleeburn style well, though, so invite rates slow over time.

PLD: One of the two great tanks in the game. Heavy on the invites until about 60, then the invites will gradually slow until bottoming out around 70 due to meleeburn predominance.

RNG: Another simple DD, just from a distance. Also rare enough due to expense that I can't comment on invite rate.

DRG: This DD is making a comeback due to various tweaks, the 2H weapon updates, and suiting the meleeburn style and preferred meleeburn mobs well. Still features the healing surprise.

NIN: The most popular tank, an essential subjob for meleeburn and pulling, and just generally something I'd recommend you level given the desire for quick invites. Be prepared for the cost, though.

SAM: The current darling of the DD jobs. Now has offensive and defensive modes gained at 25 and 35 and foolproof self-skillchaining at 60.

SMN: Can be a decent support-type job if people let you. I don't recommend it now, though, as you'll get few invites and most of those are as a gimp WHM with a bigger MP pool rather than as a summoner.

BLU: This one may interest you -- a job that melees, throws out melee-range physical spells, and has many underutilized support abilities. Doesn't fit meleeburn, but can always find something to do in a regular party. Mostly it's seen as a DD, though.

COR: As I said above, this is a support-type job that DDs more than it actually supports, and thus is my top recommendation for you.

PUP: Like BST, this is a solo job first; unlike BST, it gets more invites and can adapt to many roles when it gets one -- DDer, healer, nuker, even tank if you know what you're doing. If anything, PUPs don't get invites more because they can do too many things to be easy to categorize and slot into a stereotype.

DNC: While advertised as a healer, DNC is really a part-healer, part-debuffer, part-lightweight melee DD (that last part by necessity). It's also a helpful subjob, letting melee-types heal without MP.

SCH: Seen as a nuker that can also heal, regarded as sort of a party-friendlier BLM. Eventually becomes a master of AoE buffs and crowd control. Depends on /BLM or /RDM for Magic Attack Bonus, though. Currently quite popular due to a recent major buff; too early to tell if it'll last.

Comment

Working...
        X