Campaign, Job/Subjob combinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign, Job/Subjob combinations

Just curious to know what people have been using and seeing out there in Campaignland. I've notices some mages picking up /SCH and some melee picking up /DNC for subs. I've also spotted some more interesting combo such as RDM/RNG (a Callisto combo ftw, and these RDMs actually raised to boot )

I've been going COR/SAM, /WHM and /BLU a lot when I go COR, but RNG I go between /WHM, /SAM and /NIN and favor my O-Bow a lot more than my other ranged weapons. I have to say that in regards to these particular jobs, I do much prefer Campaign to melee burn PTs just because, like manaburn, its just more resource efficient, allowing me to preserve and reserve my more expensive ammo for the bigger events in the game. I still go with Steel bullets on COR, but prefer Xbow/bolts for RNG.

I don't seem to be of the level to make SCH effective in campaign yet, so I'm holding off til my mid 50s for that.

BST/WAR and /WHM have both been fun, I've actually be able to tank various mobs with jug pets and keep hate with them since Snarl was added. /THF might actually make pet tanking even better in Campaign, since setting up SA is so easy with a pet and I can just Snarl the hate off me.

But that brings up something else, I can send up my jug pets against any DC beastman in a WotG zone and watch it get torn up, yet when I send it up against a Campaign beastman, its like my jug pets takes damage in smaller amounts. Its seems like campaign mobs can only do so much damage to pets. I think I take more damage than my pets do actually. Considering how easy it could be to one-shot a Wyvern or Automation, perhaps all pets take damage differently in campaign and that's why even some of the lower HQ jugs do so well.

Campaign mobs also seen to have a set magic resistance. When I use unlocked Coffinmaker + Steel Bullet + Moldavite earring with Quick Draw on COR versus a normal mob, the Quick Draw damage is typically 241, but when I use it on a Campaign mob, I never get higher than 185, even with Warlock and Wizard's Roll at 11. I rolled 11 with a BLM in PT and still landed QD for 185. Then I see that BLM land Thundaga III for like 464. Hm. They seem to have some kinks to work out for magic here.

All in all as jobs go, there's a great deal of freedom to explore various job combos beyond the standard and that's a good thing, though its clear the divide is still there for standard EXP PTs no matter how well something works in Campaign. It gives players another option for how to EXP, at the very least.

Re: Campaign, Job/Subjob combinations

WHM60-64/SCH has been my mainstay in campaign battles thus far. Light Arts helps my Cure 5s quite a bit because let's face it, Healing Magic is far from capped. The Fast Cast-ish effect I get from Light Arts is very nice to have when I need to spam cures, and Celerity is extremely handy when my PLD takes a shot from those scorps that belong to Vaa Oozu, or the Mijin Gakure spam that seems to be all the rage among Yagudo NIN NMs.

WHM/SCH is also handy when I'm going solo and maintaining Reposes. Again the fast cast type effect, but celerity is useful here for getting an emergency stoneskin off if you're unfortunate enough to get a full resist.

Now, if I'm going to attack a fortification, I go WHM/BLM (no melee jobs leveled) for the elemental debuffs. That said, once I have SCH above 60 I'll definitely go as SCH/BLM for the Helix family of spells.
    Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
    How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

I go RDM/NIN because it's safe since I can't actually attack a mob without getting aggro. Since there's no XP loss it's not terribly harmful to have to HP and Utsusemi is more valuable than Reraise for keeping me going. Generally, there's at least 1 other "Raise" person at a given fortification, so it's not hard to get a Raise if I get knocked out. RDM allows me to fight, heal, refresh, buff, and raise.

Comment

Since there's no XP loss it's not terribly harmful to have to HP and Utsusemi is more valuable than Reraise for keeping me going.
        Apart from losing all the points you'll have earned up to that point.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          Apart from losing all the points you'll have earned up to that point.
          I tried the Reraise thing... It didn't work out very well. Without Shadows, I couldn't maintain attack and was forced to either sit back and heal/buff only or die whenever I engage an enemy without backup from another player or large number of NPCs. Either way...tanking one of the beastmen without it is rather cumbersome and once I reraise, I'm out of the fight for 5 minutes minimum. If I HP, I can just teleport back out and keep fighting. Besides, I call evaluation every time there's a break in the fight anyway just to make sure I don't cap out.

Comment

So far just BLM/WHM, the obvious combo. I also went as WHM/BLM once, while seeking party because I wanted 42 so I could use the Teleport-Vhalz scroll I've had for ages. Couldn't really get above 500 exp as a 40 WHM, but the Raises and Hastes were appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
              I tried the Reraise thing... It didn't work out very well. Without Shadows, I couldn't maintain attack and was forced to either sit back and heal/buff only or die whenever I engage an enemy without backup from another player or large number of NPCs. Either way...tanking one of the beastmen without it is rather cumbersome and once I reraise, I'm out of the fight for 5 minutes minimum. If I HP, I can just teleport back out and keep fighting. Besides, I call evaluation every time there's a break in the fight anyway just to make sure I don't cap out.

Wuss. I personally keep on fighting even when weakened on my WAR/WHM (used to go WAR/SAM but got sick of getting KOed and waiting forever for a raise)

Just stay away from the NMs and watch yourself. Really, it's not that hard.
              sigpic

Comment

I managed to ding 75 on Bard just going straight up BRD/WHM as I do... err, used to do... when I was partying. Threnody is actually very good at helping you to up your exp gain. Personally, I stayed in Garlage (since it was the only beastmen-controlled area at the time) and just banged up fortifications. The one just behind gate #3 is the best, as there's no risk of agro down there, but it takes a little longer to get there and back. And, if I do choose to go out into a regular area and fend off actual beastmen, Hymnus is a life-savor (pun intended). Plus, even weakened, I can still do things like Elegy and some crowd control.

Otherwise, I also go on PUP(/WHM), and vary the frame depending on my mood, though I have tried all of them and I'm tending to like the Valoredge with Cannibal Blade to help it keep at 100% even with AoEs.

I really should go out on WHM some time, or even SMN, and see how well those work for me.
                Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

I usually go BLM/WHM, because Raises seems to generate ~50% of my EXP income... That and Reraise helps a lot. Nuking... well, it sucks. I get more EXP meleeing with a 125 staff skill then nuke, aspir, rest, repeat
                  Originally posted by Ellipses
                  Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                  Originally posted by MCLV
                  A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                  More Sig:

Comment

From what I've heard even after that fix a few weeks ago SMN still has a hard time earning points with blood pacts.
                    sigpic

Comment

You actually have to get in there and melee a little, even as a mage or SMN, to get some decent EXP out of Campaign, its just important to remember that if you're out there as a mage, you should be attending to a little more than just melee.

That said, SE needs to curve a little more credit toward nuking, raising and healing, especially healing since I'm tired of seeing all these Red Moro... er... Mages running about not raising people.

Campaign may motivate me to get back out there on BRD since I very much hate what ToA turned BRDs into and pulling for merit PTs as COR or BRD is just an eventual mental strain, not to mention a huge resource drain for COR. I'd like to get some merits built up for misc stuff for SCH and BST anyway and getting sellable and useable gear from it is a plus.

Comment

RDM/DRK, that is all. I tried BRD/DRK completely on accident once, changed from RDM and forgot to change sub, was amusing to land a 700+ Souleater Evisceration.

Also COR/RNG here and there, but I don't really like spending Steel Bullets on small chunks of XP.

BRD = awful. I get shit for points, and by the time I can actually engage a mob it's dead. I get about a little over half the points on BRD as I do on RDM.

And OGWBK...Instant RR costs 30 AN at the NPC, people can either bring a job capable of not dying, like I do, or get an Instant RR, like I do, instead of complaining about RDMs not raising them.
                        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I don't do Campaign on either RDM or WHM because simply using up my MP and using every buff/cure spell I have isn't enough to get me xp that's worth my time. I've gone down on WHM and used up my MP and rull rested twice to full and ended up with about 300 xp, to me, that's just not worth my time. I hope they fix the magic usage thing.
                          sigpic
                          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            ...Campaign may motivate me to get back out there on BRD since I very much hate what ToA turned BRDs into and pulling for merit PTs as COR or BRD is just an eventual mental strain, not to mention a huge resource drain for COR. I'd like to get some merits built up for misc stuff for SCH and BST anyway and getting sellable and useable gear from it is a plus.
                            This is just a side thing, but why do you hate pulling so much?

Comment

My highest so far on BLM/WHM is 1650. I'd just gotten the ribbon of three squiggles. That battle consisted mainly of Sleep 1/2, Sleepga 1/2, 4x Tractor, 4x Raise, some Cure 3, a Divine Seal. Melee hits, Drain/Aspir and tier 1/2 blizzards early on may have contributed a bit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X