least gil intensive job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• least gil intensive job?

Ok, was just wondering about what job would be the least gil intensive so i could level it up a bit, and then play a more expensive job as I am able to farm more gil to supply it.

I have tried the search function, I am at my lunch break at work and it doesnt seem to work here, just does a never ending refresh, so sorry.

Re: least gil intensive job?

All jobs are gil intensive if you want to play them properly. I mean, you could probably play bard naked and still get invites, but if you want to play it well you need HQ staves, gear like Manteel etc etc. Traditionally expensive jobs are nin and ranger, cheaper jobs are whm, bard, paladin, but they all have their gear to get which can cost a lot of money.

Maybe try to find an equip guide, see what you need?

Originally posted by Aksannyi
    "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

All jobs have killer equip which either expensive or hard to achieve, but there's also gear which you need just to be functional, and it's this gear, along with consumables, that determines whether a job is expensive or not. Generally, WHM, BRD and BLM are fairly inexpensive. I would probably say that BRD is the cheapest in terms of gear and spells.

Comment

I would probably say that BRD is the cheapest in terms of gear and spells.
        Just remember: do NOT buy all your songs from NPCs. The Tier 2 Etudes specifically (65-74) sold from the NPC are in the 100k range, but you can buy them off the AH for just a few k.
        Kindadarii (Bahamut)
        90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
        70.3 + 2 Woodworking
        52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Goes for WHM too for some spells ... at least I've seen it for Regen II. Some spells are NPC-only, some are drop-only, some are both...

Comment

Depends on what you wana do. Summoner is pretty cheap up unill about lvl 50 where you have to buy Austre and staves....(uless you want to collect elemental spirit pacts XD)
            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
            (have fun MMO players ^^)
            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

The least expensive is probably whatever the polar opposite of COR is! XD

Probably WHM though, you don't neccesarily need crazy HQ gear to be effective as long as you know how to play the job well, the teleport scrolls are all questable and you can make gil through tele-hoeing if you really need to, although the market for that isn't as big as it used to be.
              Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

whitemage used to be an expensive job relative to most jobs back when erase (and noble's tunic!) was expensive.

paladin used to be a cheap job (and still is, really, until 75) until /nin became the standard sub for endgame tanking (not that shihei are expensive compared to being able to use exclusive gear only in all major slots from 60-forever).

cheapest job if you're ok with going NQ everything is bard, hands down. light staff and earth staff will only run you about 100k together on most servers; you can wear rse/af forever, and cheap nq accessories. songs are cheap and you don't have to upgrade instruments (they're a one time purchase) in addition! you can skip a bunch of misc. +2 instruments as long as you have mad, march, minuet, and lullaby covered (is there a +instrument for elegy? I'm never sure)

used to be that bard cost a fortune at the end (or time in an ls capable of producing sha'ir bodies) but now that yigit gomlek is out you can 'nq' your endgame body piece for free too.

basically, any job can be pretty cheap: mages are generally viewed as 'cheaper' than melee but this isn't really the case, most melee forget to take out the cost of staves/spells when comparing gear costs. (most melee need one weapon in the ~2mil area; a mage looking to have similar quality in her weapon slot needs 5 or 6 HQ staves in the 800k/ea. area).
                Grant me wings so I may fly;
                My restless soul is longing.
                No Pain remains no Feeling~
                Eternity Awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                  The least expensive is probably whatever the polar opposite of COR is! XD
                  Probably WHM though, you don't neccesarily need crazy HQ gear to be effective as long as you know how to play the job well, the teleport scrolls are all questable and you can make gil through tele-hoeing if you really need to, although the market for that isn't as big as it used to be.
                  Actually, even if you take into account the market deflation over the past year White Mage is still fairly expensive to a point. If you want to "pimp out" your gear without doing Dynamis/Limbus/Sky/Sea/HNM you're going to spend at least a mil on Nobles Tunic, about 2mil for Apollo's/Pluto's Staff, and a fair amount for accessories like say.. Serket Ring, Astral Earring, Cure Clogs, etc..

BTW.. what the hell man! Erase is 20k now?!
                  Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                  Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                  Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin401 View Post
                    Actually, even if you take into account the market deflation over the past year White Mage is still fairly expensive to a point. If you want to "pimp out" your gear without doing Dynamis/Limbus/Sky/Sea/HNM you're going to spend at least a mil on Nobles Tunic, about 2mil for Apollo's/Pluto's Staff, and a fair amount for accessories like say.. Serket Ring, Astral Earring, Cure Clogs, etc..

BTW.. what the hell man! Erase is 20k now?!
                    Yeah, we're going on the assumption of not pimping out the job though. Any job can easily be ridiculous expensive if you want to max out gear, my RDM has millions loaded on it and I still don't have HQ staves; ;

However only certain jobs can be 'cheap', even if you go NQ all the way. NIN, RNG, and COR are out just due to consumables for spells/JAs/ammo. A melee DD can be leveled on the NQ plan, but the difference in perfomance between a well equipped melee and a mediocre one is much more noticeable than the difference between a pimped out WHM and a gimpy one. Another thing not taken into account above was food costs. A WHM or BLM can eat pies/shroom stuff/glace which is all pretty cheap, while a melee typically would use sushi or meat dishes, most of which cost a bit more.

And yeah, Erase cost me MFing 300k back when I lvled my WHM sub.
                    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Another thing to consider is what subjobs you will need to level for a particular main job. Mage jobs are again at an advantage here because there is usually only one or two preferred subjobs (also a mage job) for them (e.g. WHM/BLM (optionally WHM/RDM or WHM/SMN), RDM/WHM or RDM/BLM, BLM/RDM or BLM/WHM, SMN/WHM, BRD/WHM).

From my own experience I will warn about THF: This is a bit more expensive than most non-consumable-based melee jobs at lower levels. To be effective, you will need to focus on gear that includes stat boosts (e.g. DEX) which means HQ gear (e.g. Bone +1, Beetle +1). The two most important pieces are available as Rare/Ex NM drops if you're willing to invest the time camping, though.
                      Last edited by Lunaryn; 06-18-2007, 09:27 AM.
                      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                      Clothcraft 24
                      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Well as said before, almost any job can be played cheap or not. There are only a few jobs which are really barely playable without a decent amount of gil, such as Ninja, Corsair and Ranger. Most other jobs are easy to play without much gil. These days, when I level low level jobs, I sometimes keep the same equipment for 10-15 levels without any problems. Well, i do switch out important things. Especially melee's need new weapons and mages new spells.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                          A melee DD can be leveled on the NQ plan, but the difference in perfomance between a well equipped melee and a mediocre one is much more noticeable than the difference between a pimped out WHM and a gimpy one.
                          I'd disagree: it's hard not to notice 10% in cure potency between even just a moderately rich wal-mart whitemage vs. the AF1 special in the other party. you'd need to be missing 20 accuracy on a melee to have the % gap in hit rate. (which is n't to say that it's not possible, haub+2 acc rings gets you to a 20 acc gap right quick.) stack on all the other high-end toys (cure clogs, haste gear, enfeebling/enhancing skill, etc) and you can get significant performance differences between whitemages.

the key difference is that a weaker gear whitemage can compensate with smart play alot more easily than a weaker gear melee; conversely, the best gear in the world won't make a whitemage 'good' at their job, since there's no way to auto-cure like melee auto-attack. (this is to say, even the worst melee player will show some improvement from improving gear.)

Another thing not taken into account above was food costs. A WHM or BLM can eat pies/shroom stuff/glace which is all pretty cheap, while a melee typically would use sushi or meat dishes, most of which cost a bit more.
                          And yeah, Erase cost me MFing 300k back when I lvled my WHM sub.
                          hades: sole sushi 24/k 6hours,
                          sole sushi+1 51k/12 hours (25.5k 6hours)
                          squid sushi+1 19k/12 hours (9.5k 6hours)
                          red curry 45k/3 hours (90k 6hours) --> this is why we need half hour dragon food that isn't pasta

witch kabob: 20k/12 hours (10k 6hours) - comparable to squid+1
                          snoll gelato: 16k/ 6hours - cheaper than sole
                          sub zero gelato: 60k/12 hours (30k 6 hours) - more expensive than sole

there's not really anything for a mage that's comparable to red curry; either in price or effective stat boost. (crimson jelly is closest I guess).

yeah, cookies are cheap; yeah so are melon pies +1 (being also about the same as squid+1) except for food consumables a generic non-/nin melee gets to sell back 100% of their gear if they ever quit. the mage is out a couple mil in spells no matter what they do; so the food being ~1-5% cheaper is no big deal.

Originally posted by Olorin401
                          serket ring can be vivian's ring (free) and moderately campable by scrubs (vivian is not noticeably harder than many of the (h)nm's people fight for other ex drops in socials) and a career non-hnm whm obv. picked tamas. templar mace + shield is better than apollo's, pluto's does nothing for whitemage.

cure clogs are only good if you merit cure speed too: otherwise rostrums/blessed. astral earring is good but could be better replaced by buying 75 coins and getting a loq. (depending on price one or the other is cheaper) or sticking with mp+15 hmp+ earrings (which are better for a non-hnm whitemage anyway) and you obv. picked magnetic from apoc. nigh.

but we're not talking about costs of pimping the job out, really, since at that point, every job costs ~50+ million before relic.
                          Grant me wings so I may fly;
                          My restless soul is longing.
                          No Pain remains no Feeling~
                          Eternity Awaits.

Comment

I don't think money should really be a factor in job selection (unless it's COR, RNG or NIN). You'll only get as much performance out of a job as you're willing to put in.

Yes, skill does matter a lot, but all the skill in the world won't help you if you're running around in dirty old rags. Rather than look for what job is "cheapest", find a decent steady income that you're comfortable with (that is, doesn't feel like a total chore) and then make a budget.

Way the costs vs rewards on items for your job and then make a decision. If all else fails, level up THF or BST for farming purposes...
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                            X