Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Jobs

Originally posted by Jrgsubzero View Post
    If I change my main job, do I get to choose another sub job?

Can I ever change my sub job?

So the only benefit of leveling my characters level is higher stats?

Can I just sit in town and cast cure on myself until I die of boredom?
    First, check out http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/White_Mage i bet you'll find plenty of useful information for starting out as a WHM.

The benefit of leveling a character is being able to take part in activities that require a higher level. There are many many things to do in this game besides EXP, but EXP is the basis for advancement.

Your Subjob is always 1/2 the level of your main job, along with the corresponding abilities. But you can level more than one job and go back to them whenever you want. For instance, check my sig for my levels. I was originally a Warrior75 and i leveled jobs Thief and Ninja for Subjob. Now, i have all 3 at 75 and i can still jump back to each whenever i want because they all have certain special abilities.

Comment

If I change my main job, do I get to choose another sub job?

Can I ever change my sub job?

So the only benefit of leveling my characters level is higher stats?

Can I just sit in town and cast cure on myself until I die of boredom?
      You can change your sub-job anytime you're in your Mog House, just like changing your main job.

It's not just the stats you're getting: you get all the spells, job abilities, and job traits (barring 2-hour abilities) that your sub-job has. So like in Hongman's example, a level 18WHM with a level9 BLM sub-job will have all the white magic spells that a level 18 WHM has, plus all the magic spells (granted you learned them while leveling your BLM) that a level 9 Black Mage can use.

And yes, you can sit and cast Cure on yourself all day long in town.

Comment

You get ALL the spells of the job you pick as sub? That worries me a bit since a lot of people sub WHM.

Comment

You get ALL the spells of the job you pick as sub? That worries me a bit since a lot of people sub WHM.
          No. Subjob is capped to half level of your main job. So if you were a level 20 BLM and subbed WHM, you would have access to all the spells that a lvl 10 WHM would have.

On top of that, subbing WHM does not make you a WHM or a healer at all, so subbing WHM is not a danger to WHM mains.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I'd like to point out that your subjob does not gain exp, only your currently selected main job. I remember when I first started thinking that I could just sub something and just go out and exp and they'd both level up.

Quite a few jobs sub white mage, but as Mhurron said...not everybody that does that is a healer. Most do it to assist the healer. In general, white mages are wanted for exp parties. It's much easier to fill out the damage dealing section of a party, due to the massive number of damage dealing jobs. But there's only one dedicated healing job, and a few other jobs that can make for passable healers (although many of them would prefer not to be).

The white mage forums here have a stickied topic about subjobs. It's probably a good thing to look at when you get your subjob. It's one thing to be told what to sub and another to understand why you're subbing it.
            Generic Info!

Comment

Ok. I'm off into the world now. Thanks to all who helped me! =D

Comment

Working...
              X