Fleshed-out Job Concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleshed-out Job Concepts

The intention of this thread is to differ from the usual "What jobs would you like to see added?" kinds of topics, which generally devolve into some "X job already has that" or "SE needs to fix other jobs before we get new ones." If you fell compelled to post something of that fashion, stop,

I'd like to see people post a yet-to-be-introduced job from the FF main series and how they would apply its functions to the FFXI world at large. Artistic liberites are encouraged, but directly lifting the abilites of other jobs is not. If there is something to be used from another job, let's make it so it doesn't take away from another job directly by making it function differently.

And now, lets start ^^

Dancer History

Dancers have made their appearances in Final Fantasy V, FFVI, FF Tactics and FFX-2. Their role has varied somewhat from game-to-game but their common function was AoE Status Ailments as well as confusing the enemy with thier charm and beauty. They were also capable of using swords, but generally a back-row kind of job.

Mog's take on Dancer, as well as Dancer's Functions in FFT are the most appealing to me. Mog learned his dances by performing "Dance" on various Terrians not unlike how a Geomancer would use their abilities. This resulted in a damaging attack, a status ailment or a buff for the party. FFT Dancers were not only capable of AoE status infliction, but also able to deal poison-like damage to enemy MP.

FFX-2 had a job called Songstress, which was more or less a Bard/Dancer hybrid. Dances did standard status ailments at no MP cost, but they had a couple songs that would be interesting to apply as dances since their function is radically different from what BRD has in FFXI.

Now, the image of Dancer would be hard to swallow for the male players, so I'm also gonna throw in some more unique functions, some of which have been dimensions of other jobs in other MMOs, but they're going to be tailored to FFXI's realm and other dimensions of the game.

Role of Dancer

Dancer would be a support/melee role not unlike we see in Corsair or Red Mage.

Their dances would be free of MP cost, but only able to do them once a minute. They would learn these dances based on the terrain they worked in, but would be unable to influnce the results or effect duration of these dances until they eventally learn the dance (which for arguments sake will be affected by skill level, equipment and CHR).

Once a Dance is finally learned, they can choose it directly, but its effects would still be subject to terrain and weather conditions. There would be three "Dances" for each element: one a status ailment, the other a buff and the other a damage or utility spell. Here are some examples:

Earth Dance:

Breakdance: Temorarily petrifies a enemy. Duration based on TP.
    Cave-in: Stone spell that damages enemy TP.
    Confidence: Ally Defense up

Fire Dance:

Flamewalker - Puts enemy in a state of Berserk. Duration Based on TP.
    Engulf - Fire Spell that damages MP.
    Ring of Fire - Allies may intimidate enemy.

Dark Dance:

Abyss: Bio Damage dealt to enemy MP over time.
    Dark Lash: Dark damage that inflicts Defense Down.
    Thriller: Allies may terriorize enemy occasionally

Light Dance:

Confuse: Causes beastmen to confuse friend with foe, possibly even attacking itself.
    Trance: Draws temporary attention of a beastmen on the Dancer, but is unable to attack.
    Entourage: Negates beastmen aggression toward allies.

Now, those are just off the top of my head, made as differnet as possible from what has come before, but to make these spells really cook, it takes more than just knowing them. And if you'll note, I made a point of beastmen effects in the Light department.

Currently we have no job that can communicate with the beastmen, but Dancers have been able soothe their aggression, learn their tounge and even able to live amoung them. Some dancers seek friendship, others are spies for the allied nations, assassins even. But to do this early, they must learn beastmen customs and dress accordingly.

So enter the ability we'll call Visage. This ability would allow the player to equip various beastmen accessories to make themselves more acceptable to beastmen. As they're collected, a Dancer would be able to set them in a "Beastmen Wardrobe" and this inventory would be not unlike a PUP's Automation inventory. The ability would be an umbrella ability just like Phantom Roll except for these beastmen sets replace JAs. Visage would be similar to Hasso or Seigan as these wardrobes may need changing.

Dancers would be able to collect these accessiories through a trait called Converse - an ability to open a diologue with a beastmen on the field. This ability would not be available in combat or aggro, nor would the ability allow for combat while engaged in conversation.

Converse must be initiated by the Dancer before mob aggression and may or may not result in aggro. So Conversing early on would be with weaker beastmen. If the beastmen takes to the Dancer and likes them, they might give up a little Rare/EX trinket. Converse may also have the same effect on town NPCs. These accessories would be placed in the wardrobe and affect not only the effects of Dances but lower or eliminate Beastmen aggression (though True Sight beastmen and NMs would aggro all the same, they're not that stupid).

Some accessories would have to still be quested or NM drops, but general ones can come from beastmen.

As far as the melee side goes, Dancers could be allowed to wield the renged chakarams as main and sub hand weapons and also able to throw through various weaponskills, some of which may seek out MP or TP damage rather than HP.

Statistically, they'd have as much DEF as BRDs generally have

Other job Traits:

Fame - Dancer enjoys one addtional level of fame over thier usual fame.
    Beastmen Affinity - Beastmen become more willing to Converse.
    Lady/Mankiller - Dancer deals more damage based on gender of mob.
    Resist Slow

Abilities:

None beyond Visage, they got enough going for 'em as is on Dances.

Re: Fleshed-out Job Concepts

Oh man. I was totally going to post my Dancer idea, since no one has ever put the idea out there before and I think they are a totally awesome job.

Beaten to the punch, I guess.

Comment

Can i say they should add a Super Sayian ability to warrios...lol just kidding.

Honestly...its really hard to think of something that isn't in the world of vanadiel...WoW and Diablo have their Druids why can't FFXI. but instead of the conventional bear and wolf morph...maybe take on the roles of vana's Avatars. Maybe a over exhaulted Smn...i dunno...

Since we have 2 Eastern jobs "Samurai and Ninja" add another.

Daimyo/Shogun

Ability to weild a Great Katana and a Wakizashi.

Weapon Skill: Will combine GK and Waki weapons.

Traits:
      Hasten Limbs: When wearing traditional armour (has to wear more than 3 peices) Dly is lowered by 150.
      Quicken: Movement speed increases with the raising of fame in home nation. (Won't be faster than flee but more than the rank 10 aketons)
      Dual Wield: Same as Nin
      Chain knowledge: Ability to use a spear ended chain. (ranged skill also will act like Links chain gun in Zelda)

a lil run through how i think the quest to get the job should be.

required: Both Sam and Nin lvl 30+ and high tenshodo fame.

Kagetora asks for you're council. When meeting with him he tells you a story of a mutany years ago when coming from the far east. Then he askes you to consul with Gilgamesh in Norg to continue the story of the mutany. Gilgamesh feeling a bit weary about continuing the story and why Kagetora decides to tell you out of know where, asks you to collect for him a new Gold Obi and must be from a well known tehnshodo crafter. (Find someone with same or higher tenshodo fame and have them use a Terra Crystal to sign it as well.)

After presenting the new obi Gilgamesh continues with the story. (enter Takauji new NPC) Takauji wanted to have the Tenshodo help Jeuno with its mass knowledge of the ocean and their mystic ways but Gilgamesh thought otherwise. Infiltrate Jeuno quietly from the inside out. So after the mutany insued Gilgamesh feels the remorse of betraying a fellow brother in arms just for the head seat in their domain and the name of Daimyo/Shogun.

Fadding back into norg after cutscenes, Gilgamesh askes you to travel to worlds end to sooth Takauji's soul with the Gold Obi. Trade the Gold Obi to the burning circle in Fye'In for a BCNM between you and 5 others and Takauji's soul. When defeated Takauji asks you to tell Gilgamesh he excepts his apology and forgives him for what he did and before he slips away into the afterlife for good he murmers " The Tenshodo is looking great!"

return to Norg and speak with Gilgamesh. Now you can become a Daimyo/Shogun!

OH! Job abilities:

2Hour: Glory and Honor: Same as Majin Gakur but causes 1/2 damage and grants a 20% exp bonus to party if mob is defeated and no exp is lost to Daimyo/Shogun.

Frieghtful glare: When faceguard is equiped has the ability of para. (New armour peice and equip slot is needed or added to Kubutos "Faceguard".
      Tastful treasure: Enhances effects of Riceballs and adds Treasure Hunter.
      Meditate: Same as Sam

if anyone would like to add please do so...

Also i think for dancer...i think thats a Blah name...maybe like a Harlyquin like the villian in the Batman series she had the agility, elegance and movement like a dancer but dangerous and quick like a monk and thief.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Reposting my, slightly edited, Geomancer and Chemists ideas

Geomancer

Chemist

I also started working on a concept for Time mage and have ideas for Morpher, Mystic Knight, Mime, and thanks to some idea inspired by a poster in a different topic, Dancer. I'll post them here when(if) I write them up and just forgoethe other job concept topics as this one seems to be more direct in it's request for specific examples of job possibilities.

As for this dancer idea, the concept is ok, but still is a bit iffy IMO. There were only 12 abilities really listed, it would require changing a ranged weapon into a melee one and all of the beastmen related abilities seemed to be based on assumptions. Beastmen for the most part can communicate with the player races just fine. Yagudos as a nation have a 'treaty' with Windurst. Goblins are known merchants, they're just naturally violent towrads everyone. Quadav were a peaceful, very advanced race that even held an alliance with an Elvaan tribe pre-San d'oria against windurstan forces near rolanberry. Most beastmen are capable of communicating with PC races they just don't due to a natural hostility and aggressive nature.

I undestand the desire for such an innovative job concept, but I don't think it would really work with the way FFXI is played.

Also, there are three 'eastern' jobs, you forgot Mnk. And a Harlequin is a type of clown and has nothing to do with dancing. Harley is just nimble because she's nimble.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
          Oh man. I was totally going to post my Dancer idea, since no one has ever put the idea out there before and I think they are a totally awesome job.
          Beaten to the punch, I guess.
          Dancer, while not one of the most requested jobs, was often requested as one of the new jobs for ToAU.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I wish I didn't have to point out that I was being sarcastic.

Comment

Beastmen for the most part can communicate with the player races just fine. Yagudos as a nation have a 'treaty' with Windurst. Goblins are known merchants, they're just naturally violent towrads everyone. Quadav were a peaceful, very advanced race that even held an alliance with an Elvaan tribe pre-San d'oria against windurstan forces near rolanberry. Most beastmen are capable of communicating with PC races they just don't due to a natural hostility and aggressive nature.
              Well, there's one character that shoots a hole in that theory - Verona. She was described as having the unique ability to communicate with the beastmen. Some beastment talk and some don't, but she knew how to speak thier own languages.

We have the Goblins and Qiqirin, the high-ranking beastmen, beastmen generals that speak, but not many others.

I guess it wouldn't have to be called Dancer, either, as Gambler is currently called Corsair... but its still Gambler >.>;

Sarcasim sometimes fails on the internet

Comment

Ehh, there is a lot about it the concept that I'm just not so sure about. Lot of the concept doesn't even have a large hold to even being related to a dancer style. The whole dancer part of it seems like the smallest part and therefor not giving the job due justice.

Remove the dance stuff but keep the visage and converse with the other workable stuff and this fits more to a peacekeeper, not a dancer.

The intro reading was intresting and parts of it's concept I are ok, it seems to go a totally different route pretty early. If they do a dancer type I can agree with it being an AoE style of effects. The idea of the dancer being assassin like is also intruging, but it feels like your wanting this make peace with the beastmaster part to just justify this visage and beastman wardrobe concept.

If anything the concept I could see more for Dancer is to make them a job with major strength on focusing against Beastmen Types with BRD/BST like focus towards them.

So the concept range of dances I had seen was more like, the dancer has effects they can do and they can create a "Dance sequence". This would be using a bit of something similar to the Blue Mage's slots for the alotted sequences. The dance function would kick in and the dancer's effects would inflict or buff the party in accordance to two things. One would be the effect would only last as long as the dancer is able to maintain that dance, the second is the effect starts when the dancer starts that sequence.

So basically if the dancer starts with a dance that inflicts the opponent then the longest effect will be infliction. Each dance has a set length and a small intermission period, the current dance can be interrupeted for a new one, it will not cancel it's affect since you are still dancing but you've reduced the total time the dance could of affected.

So for example Dance 1 (Effect: Paralysis) Length 3:00 Reuse: 7:00 Slots 2, Dance 2 (Effect: Party Haste) Length 2:00 Reuse: 5:30 Slots 4. So the total potential dance sequence with these two chosen dances is 5:00 minutes. This means that 1 dance will get 5:00 minutes total of an effect while another will get only 2:00 or 3:00 total effect.

Put into use it would go:
                1.) Activates Dance (Request which to start with, Chooses Dance 1)
                2.) Dance 1 ends 3:00 later, got 10 sec. to start next dance to keep effect of Dance 1 going. Activate Dance 2
                3.) Dance 2 ends, got 8 sec. to start next dance (Dance 1 still has 2:00 minutes timer left, and dance 2 has 3:30 left)
                4.) Dance ends due to not other sequences currently available effects from dances end.

To also reduce the abuse though of someone just spaming a group of dances and having the longest one done last to have all affects go the effect you get from the dance is you get the normal 100% effectiveness while you are dancing and keep that 100% only if you complete the dance. If the dance is interrupted effectiveness becomes how ever far the dance mad it through. So if the dance is 2:00 length and you went only 0:10 sec. then the effect will only be 5% of normal.

This also provides the potential that a mob can interrupt your dance from an AoE but doesn't stop the sequence if you can start another right after.

Then the dance concepts I had, funny because I could swear writting this some time before.

Morris Dance: AoE, Mobs lose use of Special Attacks for set amount of time if inflicted.
                Dance of the East: Mob loses control of self and does as dancer bids. (Charm like effect)
                Mazurka: Party gains haste effect
                Redowa: Party gets evasion bonus
                Cumbia: AoE, causes confusion for set time to mobs
                Minuet: Party gets improved chances for ciritical hits
                Lock Step: AoE, Bind effect
                Waltz: Party gains a low level Regen/Refresh
                Sword Dance: AoE, Mobs lose HP per tick
                Bachata: AoE, Mobs lose MP per tick
                Jive: Party gain a small amount of TP per tick
                Rumba: AoE, Mobs lose TP per tick

Just to start a few, of course being able to interrupt the dance will be about as easy as interrupting Ninjutsu or probably easier because of the possible power this could have.

For added abilities was thinking stuff like Quickstep, next dance in sequence gains 1.5 effectiveness and can be interrupted without the interrupt penalty.

Anyway though that was sort of my concept, as far as elements affecting it would tie to the day and effect the dance's effect in some way.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Maybe I should post my job idea.

The Murphie Knight (formerly known as The Aelathir Crusader).

It would use Sarcasm related abilities to confuse enemies (and allies) and inflict status effects. (Sarcasm Accuracy) and (Fast Irony) would be part of the job traits.

I still have to work on the idea though, but hopefully for the next expansion.

PS > WB Murphietaru
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Maybe now I'm wishing he was dead.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's ok. I get that a lot.

Comment

It's ok. I get that a lot.
                        The way I work it is assume everything he says is sarcastic, then work it out from there. Makes life easier...

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                        "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          Well, there's one character that shoots a hole in that theory - Verona. She was described as having the unique ability to communicate with the beastmen. Some beastment talk and some don't, but she knew how to speak thier own languages.
                          We have the Goblins and Qiqirin, the high-ranking beastmen, beastmen generals that speak, but not many others.
                          I guess it wouldn't have to be called Dancer, either, as Gambler is currently called Corsair... but its still Gambler >.>;
                          True, but there are still plenty of NPC beastmen we can converse with that have no rank. I always saw that as more of her willingness to listen as opposed to difficulty communicating. Most beastmen have examples through out their history of being able to peacefully interract with other races. Though most of that info would be found through offline stories and tales which may be difficult to dig up. But then again it could just be a plot hole created by oversight on SE's part.

I really don't see Dancer as the type to make peace with beastmen. That seems more like a Mediator's, from FFT, type of ability. As classically speaking, that was the job that soothed and converesed with enemy creatures. And any job that has it's best abilities focus on one group of monsters would be severely limited in effectiveness. If it were to be fully effective, it would need more abilities that could work on a wider range of enemies.

Someone on another topic here(I forgot the name atm but will go back and edit it in a bit later) thought up an idea for how dances should work that I found to be very effective and balanced. Similar to it's classic style, a Dancer's abilities would be mainly damage and debuff with some buffs and such for minor versitility.
                          When a dance was used, the dancer would keep doing that dance until manually stopped. As long as the dancer was dancing, the effect would still be active. But when you stopped dancing, the effect would slowly diminish over time. Meaning you'd have to constantly switch between certain dances to keep them up. This concept of how dances could work was not created by me.

Basically this is similar, yet different, to how Brds spells work. A Dancer could keep one dance constantly active or do numerous dances to juggle different effects. All the while they dance they can still melee, but have a slightly increased delay in synch with the dance. With their main focus on debuff and DDing, they'd be similar to Cor as a 'hybrid' job, good at two things without excelling in either. For weapons they could use Dagger type daggers, kunai and sai type katanas*again, this idea was suggested in the other topic. and maybe even a new JSE ring/fan type weapon, based on the ops suggestion of using chakrams as melee weapons, with low dmg low delay and it's own WS. Give it innate dual wield at 20 and DW 2 at 50 and it should become a rather decent DD while being a useful debuffer.
                          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Here's my idea

Geomancer (GEO)
                            A hybrid class that harnesses the power of the terrain to enhance, enfeeble foes, and devastate enemies through manipulation of the terrain. Abilities influenced by a particular element are strengthened on the day of the week associated with that particular element. Additionally, weather effects that correspond to the element of an ability affect the strength of that ability.

Abilities/Spells/Etc.

Traditionally, geomancers were offensive spell casters, focusing on magic DD and enfeebling. Contrary to most mage jobs their spells are governed by the terrain in which they fight in. With respect to FFXI, this would hinder the GEO since only a limited number of spells would be available at a given time. This type of dependence would exile the GEO class from the start and lead to a lolGEO mentality. Another related issue is that in many areas, the mobs you find are strong to the element of the terrain (e.g. leveling on Anticans in Quicksand: Ants are strong to earth, which would predominantly be the element of QC’s terrain).

Due to these limitations, I propose that the GEO have access to all spells in the GEO arsenal. However, spells of a given element are cumulatively enhanced based upon the day’s element and weather effects. Much like BLU, spells are learned instead of purchased; however, unlike BLU, the GEO learns his spells from the terrain/weather.

The procedure by which spells are learned, has some similarities to gaining the effects for Carbuncle’s Ruby. This procedure entails having a bell (GEO only) equipped in the ranged slot, and having a crystal of the desired element you wish to acquire in your inventory. Then, the GEO must travel to a zone where the weather effect associated with the desired element is present, much like the Carby Ruby. The crystal will become “energized” when exposed to the weather effect, and can now be used to obtain a spell. It is important to note that the effect can be gathered at any level, but the energized crystal cannot be used until the GEO is the appropriate level. It is also useful to note that these energized crystals are Exclusive, but not Rare. Therefore, it is possible to collect stacks of energized crystals at one time.

Example:
                            Suppose I’m a level 10 GEO from San d’Oria, but want to go ahead and gather energized water crystals. I can equip my bell and head out to La Thiene, ensuring I have water crystals in my inventory. Now I zone in to La Thiene and wait for rain (water weather), then quickly zone back out and in to obtain an energized water crystal. I, however, have to wait until level 18 before I can use the crystal to learn Torrent.

This class is intended to primarily be a tank with its Defense Bonus traits, enmity generating spells, and damage mitigation spells. In the early levels, the GEO only has virtually no spells, but has a decent rating in Great Axe (B-). Thus, the GEO can use his physical damage to muscle his way through levels 5-10. At level 10, the GEO gains the spell Enrage, which is basically Provoke, but uses MP to cast. Through his teens, the GEO can use Enrage, a Great Axe (much like a WAR), and the various elemental spells (similar to NIN tanks) they learn to maintain hate.

With level 20 comes the first in the line of the GEO’s damage mitigation spells: Earthen Mail. This sort of gives the GEO the effect of Stoneskin, thus negating physical damage for a set amount. Additionally, throughout the 20’s, GEO obtains a Blink/Utsusemi ability (Zephyr Cloak) and another zero damage buff that negates magical damage (Bubble Field). At level 24, the GEO will receive 2 shadows from Zephyr Cloak, 3 at 48, and 4 at 72 (with capped Geomancy).

Through the 30’s the GEO gets access to elemental enfeebling spells that lower enemy attributes (much like the BLM elemental enfeebles). These enfeebles follow the same rules of application that the BLM enfeebles do in that only certain spells can be stacked on a mob. Additionally, in the 30’s, the GEO gains the ability to enhance his attributes, but only two of these spells can be active at the same time with a bell equipped, much like BRD songs. Also, like BRD songs, only one of these spells can be active if no bell is equiped.

At higher levels, the GEO gets access to Protect/Shell/Phalanx type abilities, additional enhancing magic (Fortify, Accelerate, etc.), and more offensive/enfeebling spells (Spirit Talker).

With regards to GEO as a support job, I see it being capable of enhancing PLD quite a bit. For EXP, PLD typically subs WAR for Provoke; however, with a GEO sub a PLD has access to Enrage at level 20; Earthen Mail, Zephyr Cloak, and Bubble Field from 40-60; and Entrench at 66. Additionally, the PLD can benefit from having more MP since the GEO has natural MP, whereas WAR doesn’t.
                            BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

If we peeled it back to just the Dance element, I think steering heavily toward a homage to Mog would definately be what was best.

I could see Dance as being an umbrella ability similar to COR's Phantom Roll but having Elemental Dances right at the beginning like a PUP has Elemental Manuvers from the start. Dancer could have Elemental Dances in their JAs from the beginning, but could only truely learn them at certain levels and in certain zones. To skew things a bit, changing weather could also influence things. Because if we left Fire Dances open from the beginning, you'd never be able to learn them until you can get to Ifrit's Cauldron or Halvung and live. But fire element appears in Yuthunga and Valkrum on occasion.

They wouldn't be able to learn or control the resulting effect of an Elemental Dance at first, but once one was learned at a particular level, it would become selectable. But Dancer would still be able to chose Earth Dance to get random results until they learned all their Earth Dances.

Only problem is it would step all over Geomancer, possibly ruining any potential for that job to be added because Dancer would be a Geomancer in many respects.
                              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X