This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't decide on a advanced job.

I was planning on going BRD, BST or BLU as my main job but today I needed to lvl my blm subjob to lvl15. My party leader told spotted me just randomly casting spells and taught me how to magic burst. That was really cool, the timing and different combinations seem a lot more intresting to me than being a whm but I don't want to go a blm because I have problems with getting hate and dying in one hit. I've looked at melee classes and samurai seems to be the best at doing skillchains however the quest seems a bit hard to do. Ninja was the only other one that stuck out but I belive that is very expensive and too many people are them anyway. All the other melee jobs seem fairly similar at doing skillchains so I'm now not sure what job I want to do.

Hmm. I guess I'm looking for any idea or suggestions on what should as I'm bad at making decisions for myself.

Re: I can't decide on a advanced job.

If you stay with BLM, you'll learn to not overnuke (Cast spells that are too powerful too fast), which means you won't die quite as much, and will give you a good sense of how hate and enmity work.

You don't have to pick an unlockable job. All of the 6 starter classes are very good at what they do, and are just as capable as any extra job. Remember, when FFXI came out, there only were the six.

If you want to do SAM, don't worry about the quest, plenty of people will help you out in doing it. Sit around Jeuno or Whitegate, poke any SAM over lv60 (Can probably be done at 50, but safer 60+), and if they aren't busy, they'll probably help.

If you enjoy Skillchaining and Magic Bursting, BLU is probably a good fit for you. It has elements of both SC and MB.

Comment

The only real way to decide what you want to play in this game is to just try everything to like, level 10.

As soon as I hit 30 on my BLM(my starter), I unlocked every job and played around til I found one I liked.

It seems more practical than reading about the job, at least.
      SUICHI IS DEAD.

Comment

pick anything man your call its your time lol plus all jobs are pretty fun
        Main Job: Drg 40
        Bastok: 4
        Hume, male
        Arson

Comment

Originally posted by Suichi
          The only real way to decide what you want to play in this game is to just try everything to like, level 10.

As soon as I hit 30 on my BLM(my starter), I unlocked every job and played around til I found one I liked.

It seems more practical than reading about the job, at least.
          That's pretty much what I've done, I've unlocked every job, and so far I have plans to level at least half of them all the way to 75, just for kicks. I'll probably level them all just because I enjoy variety.

In all seriousness though, there's no need to pick just one main job and stick with it forever. You can choose to level several jobs and then just play whichever you feel like at the time. When I first started the game, I thought Summoner would be the job for me, but at the moment I totally love my Red Mage and I completely identify myself as one of them. I've played every single job - even the new ones - and there are certain things I like about them all. Don't feel pressured to always be one thing all the time. A lot of people have multiple jobs at 75.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

No matter which job you pick there's also the likely need/desire to level several others for subjob options. This is a great way to also determine what kind of job you'd like to play as your main(s). ^^

Comment

Thanks.

I've been lvling up my warrior and thief. I like them both and they are definetly a lot easier to solo with early on than my mage classes were. I don't know if I'd like to play either as a main though. The great axe is so slow and I wince every time I miss with it, thiefs dagger does very little damage and has a rubbish ws and archery takes so long to level up. I'll try unlocking all the extra jobs but if I spent time leveling up all of them then I'm worried I'll get left behind by my friends.

Comment

A few words of advice. Great Axe isn't all that great (ha! punny) until Sturmwind, at which point it starts to rock and continues to until 48/55. Axes are also good, though in certain situations swords can also be promising.

As to thieves, it's generally recommended to go with sword or even hand to hand until Viber Bite becomes available, although it's still an excellent idea to keep dagger capped so that you don't have to run it back up at... 33, I believe? Also, while I'm unsure if this is a mistake or not, thieves are best with marksmenship (crossbow), not archery. Acid and Bloody bolts are very, very good. Sushi is generally a good choice if you plan on shooting stuff a lot, although due to low base damage on daggers and high base dex levels, meat is also ever a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Stromgarde
                  A few words of advice. Great Axe isn't all that great (ha! punny) until Sturmwind, at which point it starts to rock and continues to until 48/55. Axes are also good, though in certain situations swords can also be promising.

As to thieves, it's generally recommended to go with sword or even hand to hand until Viber Bite becomes available, although it's still an excellent idea to keep dagger capped so that you don't have to run it back up at... 33, I believe? Also, while I'm unsure if this is a mistake or not, thieves are best with marksmenship (crossbow), not archery. Acid and Bloody bolts are very, very good. Sushi is generally a good choice if you plan on shooting stuff a lot, although due to low base damage on daggers and high base dex levels, meat is also ever a good choice.
                  I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Great Axe comment. I think that Shield Break is one of the most useful WS in the 10-20 level range, personally. You just can't beat that -EVA.
                  RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
                  Bastok Rank 10 Completed
                  Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
                  Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
                  Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynn
                    I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Great Axe comment. I think that Shield Break is one of the most useful WS in the 10-20 level range, personally. You just can't beat that -EVA.
                    People tend to look at the damage output of a weapon skill instead of some other side effect it might carry along with it. I, personally, was under the impression that Wasp Sting sucked (when leveling THF) until I realized that it also poisons your target, which really does help at those low levels at whittling away your target's HP. It's the same with Shield Break, the damage is rather crappy but the extra effect makes it worthwhile, though people fail to really think of it in such a manner.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Stromgarde
                      Great Axe does a much better job than any other 2hander for quite a while. Even before Sturmwind. Yes Shield Break's -40 evasion is just that godly and does decent damage as well. Shield Break is one of the best beginning WS in the game. It's scythe that isn't all that great in the beginning and great sword just barely above it. The only thing that Great Axe lacks is the ability to create Distortion. But people should be trying to use Fusion and Fragmentation sometimes anyway...
                      My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                      Originally posted by Balfree
                      Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Stupid distortion... (mnk grumble, grumble)

I'd agree with great axe, and so what if you miss... you'll get double attack eventually which makes you feel better.
                        66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
                        Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                        01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
                        01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
                        O)
                        01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu
                          ....The only thing that Great Axe lacks is the ability to create Distortion. But people should be trying to use Fusion and Fragmentation sometimes anyway...
                          Actually I'll add that Iron Tempest can make Distortion, but no warrior I've ever met has wanted to use that ws :p
                          My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                          Originally posted by Balfree
                          Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu
                            Actually I'll add that Iron Tempest can make Distortion, but no warrior I've ever met has wanted to use that ws :p
                            Distortion is overrated, but the only reason why it's so common to see it used is that it takes advantage of the MB potential (Namely, Blizzard-Ice spells) Also because in PT's with a THF and Viper Bite, it really is the definitive melee burst-damage at those levels. Later on though, you'll see people start demanding Light instead and then Thunder-based and Fire-based spells for MB. Weird how that works out.

Comment

What jobs are expensive to start? I don't really want to play very expensive jobs until I'm good at getting money. For me I usally manage to keep arround 60k before I end up spending it. Bought invisibility for 30k and I can't afford much more than that. From reading the forums I think the expensive jobs are Ninja, Pupet Master and Ranger. I know some jobs have very expensive later game items but by then I hope to be able to get money a lot quicker.

Comment

Working...
                              X